PDA

View Full Version : 'Dad Going Veggie - Needs Recipe Help'

Sweets
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:42 PM
dad wants to be vege, but needs my help. I'm looking for recipes that might make him happy, he's a meat and potatoes kind of guy and he doesnt know how to do veggie if his food isnt smothered in cheese. He eats a ton of eggs and cheese and says that he gets sick of it, and doesnt know how to be vegetarian without it, i told him there are so many options out there we just have to research and find out what he likes! Any recipes/suggestions would be well appreciated. Thanks in anticipation!

Jane M
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:50 PM
Sweets, what great news!!!! Try surfing http://vegweb.com/

I find casseroles seem to work best with non-veggie, beginning veggie types, exspecially it there is a desert in view on the counter.

Keep us up to date on how it goes!!! :p

RedWellies
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
You could also try a veggie/vegan shepherds/cottage pie with lentils (green ones are a bit more "meaty"). Will look out a recipe for you later...

Sweets
Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:33 PM
great ideas, thanks amigos

RedWellies
Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Here's a link to Delia Smith's recipe, you can easily modify it to make it veggie/vegan. It's good!

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/vegetarian-shepherds-pie-with-goats-cheese-mash,1467,RC.html

RedWellies
Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Or there's this one...

4oz whole green-brown lentils
4oz dried split peas green or yellow
1 pint hot water
1oz butter or margarine
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 green pepper, de-seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
2 pinches mace
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper

Topping
8oz tomatoes peeled and sliced
1 small onion chopped
2oz butter or margarine
11/2 lb cooked potatoes
2 tablespoons milk
3oz strong grated cheese

1. Wash lentils/peas put in saucepan with hot water, simmer gently, covered for 45-60mins until water absorbed and pulses soft.
2. pre-heat oven to gas 5, 375c (190f)
3. Melt butter in a frying pan, add celery, onion, carrots and chopped pepper. Cook gently until soft.
4. Add these to lentil and pea mix after mashing it a little first.
5. Add garlic, herbs, spices and salt and pepper to taste and sppon mixture in to large pie dish (3 pint). Arrange sliced tomatoes on top.
6. Prepare topping, fry onion in butter to soften, mash potatoes and add cooked onion, milk, and cheese. Mix thoroughly.
7. Season well and spread on top of pie. Bake for 20 mins or until top is brown.

pat sommer
Feb 25th, 2006, 11:40 PM
backing up a step I would open the cupboard and have dad sniff the various spices and herbs and get and idea of what he goes for. My man happens to like caraway which leads me to Hungarian dishes, for example.
Even braver: vegie sampling. Sunchokes now liven up our casseroles!
Lotsa neglected root veg give that meaty-something to the plate.

Here is a Southern Tirol dish: casserole of cooked ing. layered together and baked till bubbly hot.

Buckwheat noodles undercooked
Savoy cabbage slices
Potato chunks
mild white soycheese
fake ham bits (dry salad variety works too)
olive oil/marg mix with slices of garlic heated to sizzle