PDA

View Full Version : Vegan ice cream?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16

Stu
Mar 12th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Oh yeah, I know the one. It's a wee one, isn't it, just by Islington Green or whatever it's called.

bryzee86
Mar 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
nope! The big one near the N1 shopping centre.

Digital Ghost
Mar 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM
In Australia personally I would go for.......
Gelatos - Soylati or So Good
Sorbets - Weiss (only red orange and lemon are vegan though) or Gelativo

Gelato is often considered to be made with milk and sugar.

Sorbets are usually vegan but some contain gelatin or cochineal colouring (Vitari sorbets do) so check the label.

I got Swedish Glace Neapolitan ice cream 2 days before I left England - I was so pleased and excited to find it...........but I had to leave it in my freezer in England. :(

bryzee86
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I've only just recently seen it! How long has it been around?

Digital Ghost
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I got mine in December in Somerset.............didn't see it in the Angel (London) branch of Sainsburys at that time though.

Think they had it on http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk around December time also.

Out of interest they also have Swedish Glace in Wild Blueberry listed - has anyone had that one yet?

bryzee86
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM
oooh blueberry! yummm! great thing is that if I did find that, I wouldn't have to share with Jo - cos she hates blueberries!

Digital Ghost
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I also hate blueberries but I think I would buy in anyway - I'm sort of obsessed with vegan ice cream, sorbet and frozen fruit.

Stu
Mar 13th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Blueberries are one of my favouritest things in the wholed wide world. So that sounds scrumdiddlyumptious to me.

ellaminnowpea
Mar 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I've never had vegan icecream. Is it mainly soy-based and the same consistency of dairy icecream?

Digital Ghost
Mar 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Some of it is soy based but you can also get ones that are rice based like Rice Dream http://www.tastethedream.com/products/rd_frozen.php, hemp based like Cool Hemp http://www.coolhemp.com/en_home.htm and you can even get nut based ones like Booja Booja Stuff in a tub http://www.boojabooja.com/e_news.htm

Personally I think its the same consistency of dairy - I guess it varies depending on brand....but I think dairy does also?

Anyhow try the Rice Dream in Vanilla its ace.

JC
Mar 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I've never had vegan icecream. Is it mainly soy-based and the same consistency of dairy icecream?

omg, you're deprived!!! :eek:
i would recommend swedish glace, but i don't think it's sold in the us :(

Mr Flibble
Mar 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Anyone tried SG since they changed recipes? We've 2 tubs of the new stuff in the freezer but not had any yet. Still labelled vegan.

maikeru
Mar 19th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I saw that Booja Booja Stuff stuff for the first time today. Then I saw the price. Hmm, Swedish Glace.

Not sure if it was a new recipe, it was new packaging, but I had some the other week (vanilla) and it did not taste any different to me.

Michael.

sandra
Mar 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I've been dreaming about Swedish Glace Neopolitan ice cream!:o:D

I actually got some today! :eek:

I've already had a large bowl of it.................I'm tempted to have another. It's that delicious mixture of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry that gets me everytime.............that's it I'm getting another bowl.........

RedWellies
Mar 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Anyone tried SG since they changed recipes?
Ah, I had some vanilla the other day and thought it tasted odd. I didn't realise the recipe had changed. That's not good!

sandra
Mar 19th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I saw that Booja Booja Stuff stuff for the first time today. Then I saw the price. Hmm, Swedish Glace.

Hi Michael............I bought that Booja stuff a couple of months ago and was really disappointed in it. I really prefer the Swedish Glace, it has a much more creamy texture. I ended up throwing the Booja stuff out as no one wanted to eat it! :(

JC
Mar 20th, 2008, 01:08 AM
i'm not that impressed by the neapolitan swedish glace. why is it that the chocolate flavour in neapolitan ice cream always tastes slightly alcoholic?? whereas the normal chocolate stuff is really good. don't get me wrong, it's still really nice, i just prefer the standard vanilla myself :D

Roxy
Mar 20th, 2008, 01:18 AM
vanilla is always a good flavour because you can do so much with it, like adding things to it, or adding it to other things :D

ellaminnowpea
Mar 20th, 2008, 01:26 AM
do they have any of these in the US? So far boojabooja and swedish glace are in the UK only?!

I'm so deprived on my desserts! I've only had one vegan cookie in the two years I've been vegan - no brownies, muffins, icecreams, cakes, etc.

This thread makes me want dessert now!

scarlett
Mar 20th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I tried the Booja Booja ginger one that I'd been so excited to try .... yuk ! I really didn't like it. I haven't found any vegan ice cream that I like so far, swedish glace vanilla is okay at a push, but nothing exciting.

Marrers
Mar 20th, 2008, 03:07 AM
do they have any of these in the US? So far boojabooja and swedish glace are in the UK only?!
I agree with scarlet. I love ice cream but IMO the best vegan ice cream is in the US! Look for Soy Delicious in your local health food store or Wholefoods if you have one near you ella.

sponge
Mar 20th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I'm so deprived on my desserts! I've only had one vegan cookie in the two years I've been vegan - no brownies, muffins, icecreams, cakes, etc.

:eek: Yikes, that's rough. It's very easy to bake vegan cookies by substituting vegan ingredients. My son has nicknamed my vegan brownies (a boxed variety that I veganize) "Heavenly brownies"

Digital Ghost
Mar 20th, 2008, 04:55 AM

I'm suprised your still alive - get down to the nearest wholefoods asap. :eek:

Roxy
Mar 20th, 2008, 05:16 AM
:eek: Yikes, that's rough. It's very easy to bake vegan cookies by substituting vegan ingredients. My son has nicknamed my vegan brownies (a boxed variety that I veganize) "Heavenly brownies"

Send a slice of heaven up my way then spongette :D

maikeru
Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hi Michael............I bought that Booja stuff a couple of months ago and was really disappointed in it. I really prefer the Swedish Glace, it has a much more creamy texture. I ended up throwing the Booja stuff out as no one wanted to eat it! :(

Aww, that is not good. I would have hated to have spent that much money to find I did not like it.

I am happy with Swedish Glace, I just wish they would add their own 'luxury' range with flavours like cookie dough!

Michael.