PDA

View Full Version : Vegan ice cream?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16

Marrers
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I think I'm a medal contender too! When I travel to New York now it is an important requirement to stay somewhere with a freezer so I can buy all the interesting ice cream flavours! (In the past I used to sit on the street with a spoon and eat as much as I could out of the tub before it melted or I was too full and had to throw it away!)

bryzee86
Jan 20th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I think I'm a medal contender too! When I travel to New York now it is an important requirement to stay somewhere with a freezer so I can buy all the interesting ice cream flavours! (In the past I used to sit on the street with a spoon and eat as much as I could out of the tub before it melted or I was too full and had to throw it away!)

I fear that I might not be able to afford anywhere with such ameneties this time!

Oh, the horror!

mariana
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Better get ready to eat it out of the tub on the street. ;) I've done it too--it's kind of fun, like a race against time, trying to eat it all before it melts. :p

mariana
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Incidentally, why does the vegan ice cream elsewhere always seem more appealing? The grass is always greener...

bryzee86
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Incidentally, why does the vegan ice cream elsewhere always seem more appealing? The grass is always greener...

Because the ice cream in the state is not only better, but there's more of it!

bryzee86
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:35 PM
p.s. I'll probably spend most of my NYC time in Lula's sweet apothecary anyway:

http://www.lulassweetapothecary.com/

mariana
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Because the ice cream in the state is not only better, but there's more of it!
That depends where you live in the States, though!

bryzee86
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM
That depends where you live in the States, though!

same as the UK then.

some places can only get swedish glace vanilla (or none at all), whereas Londoners are pretty damn lucky.

However, I saw a good 40 varieties of ice cream in NYC, with at least 10 varieties in the not-very-big supermarket near where we stayed.

mariana
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:54 PM
same as the UK then.

some places can only get swedish glace vanilla (or none at all), whereas Londoners are pretty damn lucky.

However, I saw a good 40 varieties of ice cream in NYC, with at least 10 varieties in the not-very-big supermarket near where we stayed.
40 varieties? I'm jealous! I think I do prefer US vegan ice cream brands though (tofutti cuties, Temptation, Purely Decadent). Swedish Glace is nice but I much prefer Purely Decadent. (I'm so sad I didn't get any when I was at home because I was sick and didn't feel like eating ice cream! :()

clementine
Jan 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
Ice cream is probably the number one thing I miss since becoming vegan. So far I have not encountered an even comparable tasting vegan alternative...

Gorilla
Jan 21st, 2009, 04:31 PM
p.s. I'll probably spend most of my NYC time in Lula's sweet apothecary anyway:

http://www.lulassweetapothecary.com/

that looks like something i'll have to add to my to-do list while i'm there :)

mariana
Jan 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM
Lulu's looks fabulous! I want to go to NY...and just eat and do nothing else! :p:D

squigaletta
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Ice cream is probably the number one thing I miss since becoming vegan. So far I have not encountered an even comparable tasting vegan alternative...
Have you tried booja booja? the chocolate one is unbelievable for me :D!

Marrers
Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
I want to go to NY...and just eat and do nothing else! :p:D
Primary purpose of all my trips I have to admit! :o

Quantum Mechanic
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
We've had Purely Decadent (chocolate brownie almond), Tofutti Cuties chocolate, Soy Creamy (chocolate sandwiches and cherry ice cream), and Soy Delicious (chocolate). My parents haven't tried the Tofutti Cuties, but the other ones, my parents agree they both love! (and my mom is an ice cream lover).

mariana
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:53 AM
I'm not sure what's available where you are, but as a lacto-ovo veggie I found Tofutti Cuties to taste exactly like dairy ice cream (I think maybe because I was focused on not just the ice cream flavor but also the cookie part), and my omni friend likes them more than dairy ice cream sandwiches. Apart from those, I haven't found anything that tastes exactly like dairy ice cream...but I enjoy certain vegan ice creams on their own merits (then again, I ate them for years as a veggie, just because I liked them). My favorite, and the one I find closest to ice cream, is Purely Decadent. They have some great flavors I've never even seen in dairy ice cream. My favorite's the peanut butter swirl (I think that's what it's called :confused:)with peanut butter and chocolate. Yum! Now I want some. :D Too bad I can't get any here. :(

squigaletta
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM

Basically, it looks like you are going to have to work your way through every single ice cream mentioned on this board, until you find one you like :D

Marrers
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Purely Decadent . . . my favorite's the peanut butter swirl with peanut butter and chocolate.
I love that one too (it's called Peanut Butter Zig Zag) but it is in second place to my favourite Chocolate Obsession (choc ice cream with choc sauce and choc flakes!). Cherry Nirvana comes a close third. I wish we could get them here.

I see they now make coconut milk yogurts and ice creams! :tongue_ani:

ultra
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah...I just tried some Tofutti ice-cream sandwich...it was awesome!!!
Gotta get some more....

Buddha Belly
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:19 PM
I love that one too (it's called Peanut Butter Zig Zag) but it is in second place to my favourite Chocolate Obsession (choc ice cream with choc sauce and choc flakes!). Cherry Nirvana comes a close third. I wish we could get them here.

Can we get the peanut one in the UK? If so.. do you know anywhere near north London to get them?

Marrers
Jan 24th, 2009, 12:15 AM
For a while the Chocolate Obsession was available in Taj in Brighton - which was a lovely surprise but then it disappeared, probably over a year ago now. I don't know of any other UK stockists.

mariana
Jan 24th, 2009, 12:18 AM

Yes, Peanut Butter Zig Zag, thanks! :) I haven't seen Chocolate Obsession before...sounds delicious, though! Cherry Nirvana's probably my second favorite after Peanut Butter Zig Zag. The coconut milk ones are delicious too! I only got a chance to try the vanilla flavor and the chocolate....I thought they were amazing and my omni grandparents loved them too! The coconut milk yogurt was just so-so, in my opinion.

Can we get the peanut one in the UK? If so.. do you know anywhere near north London to get them?
I'm pretty sure they're only available in the US and possibly Canada. (If they're available here I'm going to go buy 5 tubs tomorrow! :))

Buddha Belly
Jan 24th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I'm pretty sure they're only available in the US and possibly Canada. (If they're available here I'm going to go buy 5 tubs tomorrow! :))[/quote]

Had a look at the UK toffuti website (now called triano in UK) no luck for good flavours:mad:

http://www.triano.f2s.com/tr/tofutti-org-01.php

bryzee86
Jan 25th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure what's available where you are, but as a lacto-ovo veggie I found Tofutti Cuties to taste exactly like dairy ice cream (I think maybe because I was focused on not just the ice cream flavor but also the cookie part), and my omni friend likes them more than dairy ice cream sandwiches. Apart from those, I haven't found anything that tastes exactly like dairy ice cream...but I enjoy certain vegan ice creams on their own merits (then again, I ate them for years as a veggie, just because I liked them). My favorite, and the one I find closest to ice cream, is Purely Decadent. They have some great flavors I've never even seen in dairy ice cream. My favorite's the peanut butter swirl (I think that's what it's called :confused:)with peanut butter and chocolate. Yum! Now I want some. :D Too bad I can't get any here. :(

You can get tofutti cuties - at Earth in Kentish Town.

fiamma
Jan 25th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I am v.jealous of you UK people :)

However, we have a gelateria under our flat which normally has three flavours of soya ice-cream as standard (vanilla, pistachio and hazelnut), plus they can make others on request. Sometimes they also use rice milk too. :thumbsup: