PDA

View Full Version : Vegan ice cream?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 25th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I am v.jealous of you UK people :)

However, we have a gelateria under our flat which normally has three flavours of soya ice-cream as standard (vanilla, pistachio and hazelnut), plus they can make others on request. Sometimes they also use rice milk too. :thumbsup:

Pistachio soys ice cream.:heart: I'm moving back to Italy.

fiamma
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM
LoL, gentlemaorispirit :) It is good stuff.

But they've been closed since New Year *cries* I have to wait till February 7th for them to open... am suffering severe withdrawal symptoms :D

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM
LoL, gentlemaorispirit :) It is good stuff.

But they've been closed since New Year *cries* I have to wait till February 7th for them to open... am suffering severe withdrawal symptoms :D

:( That's just cruel having to go cold soya "turkey", but on a positive side, it's just under 2 weeks and then they are open again and you can indulge. I'm packing my bags to join you. :)

fiamma
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Yay!!! Dinner's at 6, OK? Don't be late :)

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Yay!!! Dinner's at 6, OK? Don't be late :)

Oh bugger! I'm frequently late, it's my nature. I'll blame the gorgeous scenery for making me late as I'll be admiring it. Yeah, that's it!;)

loveganism
Jan 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Booja Booja and Swedish Glace are my faves :) All my family like Swedish Glace (especially the vanilla one!).

Tofutti is okay, but I find it really hard to find Tofutti ice-cream that has been stored properly. Sometimes it tastes like it's melted and then been frozen again.

mariana
Jan 25th, 2009, 02:02 PM
You can get tofutti cuties - at Earth in Kentish Town.
Thanks for letting me know! :) Now I just wish they'd start stocking Purely Decadent in the UK.

I am v.jealous of you UK people :)

However, we have a gelateria under our flat which normally has three flavours of soya ice-cream as standard (vanilla, pistachio and hazelnut), plus they can make others on request. Sometimes they also use rice milk too. :thumbsup:
Wow, that sounds even better than any packaged soya ice cream. I'm jealous! I'll be coming to stay with you as well, fiamma. :p

clementine
Jan 25th, 2009, 10:39 PM
i just tried Tofutti Cuties in Mint Chocolate Chip... holy cow... it's amazing!!! tastes great... even my omni friend liked it :0)

bryzee86
Jan 26th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Thanks for letting me know! :) Now I just wish they'd start stocking Purely Decadent in the UK

I emailed Triano to see whether they have turtle mountain products distributed in London anywhere. I'll let you know how I get on.

mariana
Jan 26th, 2009, 01:45 AM
i just tried Tofutti Cuties in Mint Chocolate Chip... holy cow... it's amazing!!! tastes great... even my omni friend liked it :0)
Great, I'm so glad you (and your omni friend!) liked them! :thumbsup:

I emailed Triano to see whether they have turtle mountain products distributed in London anywhere. I'll let you know how I get on.
Ooh, awesome, thanks! :) It would be so great if they did (or if not we could get people to mass e-mail them and try to convince them to :p).

Quantum Mechanic
Jan 26th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Some of the omni's on my floor shuddered at thinking of soy ice cream (don't know if they've tried it or what flavor..should have asked) after someone mentioned that they were lactose intolerant but ate ice cream anyway. Anyway at the next mandatory meeting I'm thinking of showing up with a tub of the most luxurious vegan ice cream I can come up with, then when people ask me for some, I'll say, "Sure," then they'll have some and then I'll be like, "So how do you like your icky soy ice cream?" :D

Marrers
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:11 AM
. . we have a gelateria under our flat which normally has three flavours of soya ice-cream as standard
I assume all the Londoners (and any visitors) know about Scoop (http://www.scoopgelato.com/store.html) at 40 Shorts Gardens, Covent Garden? They always have a few dairy free 'sorbets' - the only one I've ever tried is the dark chocolate sorbet - it's just like a really rich ice cream! On each visit I resolve to try something new but I just can't pass it up! :tongue_ani:

Long lunchtime queues are a testament to the fact that even the dairy-free health ices (intriguingly made from rice flour) at this Italian artisan’s shop are utterly delicious.
Time Out Eating & Drinking Guide 2009

bryzee86
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I assume all the Londoners (and any visitors) know about Scoop (http://www.scoopgelato.com/store.html) at 40 Shorts Gardens, Covent Garden? They always have a few dairy free 'sorbets' - the only one I've ever tried is the dark chocolate sorbet - it's just like a really rich ice cream! On each visit I resolve to try something new but I just can't pass it up! :tongue_ani:

how much is it?

Mr Flibble
Jan 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Apparently 2 scoops for 2 quid:

http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/london/food/1e06073/scoop

That's your lunch break sorted. We want photos.

bryzee86
Jan 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I'm there on Wednesday. Woop.

mariana
Jan 26th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I've walked by that place so many times and never knew they had vegan stuff! Thanks for letting us know. I think I'm going to have to make a special visit there sometime soon... :D Do you know if all their sorbets vegan?

Marrers
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:37 PM
You'll have to ask mariana, but be warned that sometimes the people behind the counter are a bit clueless and don't know what a vegan is - just ask about the ingredients of the dairy-free stuff and you should be able to find out what is suitable.

mariana
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:47 PM
sometimes the people behind the counter are a bit clueless and don't know what a vegan is
That's what I'm always afraid of. :rolleyes: As long as they have an ingredients list should be fine, though. I'll probably just go for the chocolate sorbet...sounds too good to pass up!

girlEcho
Jan 27th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Soy Delicious! I just finished some actually :D

terem
Mar 9th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Organic SO Delicious Creamy Vanilla! mmm I just ate half the quart....

I would really like to try the coconut ice cream I've seen in Stop & Shop, sounds amazing.

auryn23
Mar 18th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I just finished Tofutti's Chocolate Cookie Crunch and, holy crap, I am in LOVE.

patientia
Jan 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I haven't tried many brands of vegan ice cream because they are not available here. The only available here is Naturattiva, and it is very expensive because it's organic. The same manufacturer makes Valsoia ice cream, which is available in Slovenia, and it is very expensive, too. €8.5 for 1 litre, the amount I can eat in half an hour while returning to Zagreb. Their vanilla ice cream with cherry syrup, vanilla-choco comb and vanilla cones are very tasty. The also have rice ice cream on stick with chocolate couverture, but that isn't that tasty.

In the last few months, I have been buying Spar Vital soy ice cream vanilla, the only available flavour. It's €2 for 1 litre. I mix it with everything, from chestnut puree to peanut butter, to frozen berries.

I tried to make vegan ice cream at home, but I don't know what should I use not to get an ice cube. I guess I have to experiment with starch and agar...

Better get ready to eat it out of the tub on the street. ;) I've done it too--it's kind of fun, like a race against time, trying to eat it all before it melts. :p

Sounds familiar :)