PDA

View Full Version : Vegan ice cream?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

~*Blue*~
Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:56 AM
i like tofutti cuties (okay, i LOVE them, i've eaten 4 at once!). the store i go to only carries the pints in 2 flavors though :( i always see ad's for soy delicious but i can't find a store near me that carries it......

edited to add: for the people that have been lucky enough to try tofutti and soy delicous, which brand do you think tastes better?

Fruitbat
Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
What are Toffutti cuties? I live most of the time in the UK but sadly the 3 healthfood shops in town dont stock anything but Swedish and the Toffutti cones, vanilla, chocolate cookies (YUM) and "viennetta". I like Carob ices too. I cant wait to see Swedish Caramel and the Swedish vanilla chocolate-coated sticks!

TheFirstBus
Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:43 AM
Never tired any sort of vegan ic cream.

uww27225
Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
I haven't had tofutti, but I can't imagine it getting much better than soy delicious! :) That stuff rocks. I like it better than dairy ice cream. Though I had this stuff at my gf's mom's house called Mocha Mix? and that stuff was really good too. I just haven't seen it around Milwaukee.

~*Blue*~
Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:56 PM
What are Toffutti cuties? I live most of the time in the UK but sadly the 3 healthfood shops in town dont stock anything but Swedish and the Toffutti cones, vanilla, chocolate cookies (YUM) and "viennetta". I like Carob ices too. I cant wait to see Swedish Caramel and the Swedish vanilla chocolate-coated sticks!

tofutti cuties are just mini "ice-cream" sandwiches :) lucky you, you have cones.

merwen4
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I love both the Tofutti cuties and Soy Delicious. By far, my favorite Soy Delicious flavor is the mint one, though I haven't seen it out here in Massachusetts yet (just relocated from California).

Fortunately, I have found a new Tofutti Cuties flavor at the Super Stop and Shop grocery store that makes me almost (but not quite) forget about Soy Delicious. It's called Tofutti Cutie Strawberry Waves, and it has vanilla wafers instead of chocolate cookie wafers with a mix of strawberry jam and vanilla ice cream sandwiched between them. Delicious. I've already eaten a whole box, and my husband (who is not vegan) loves them as well.

assilembob
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:18 AM
I have Soy Delicious Peanut butter Zig Zag in the freezer now. It is divine.
It is taunting me but I had a chocolate bar today.

gertvegan
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Turtle Mountain (http://www.turtlemountain.com/index.html) offers dairy-free ice cream on wheels

portland.bizjournals.com (http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2005/02/28/daily47.html) 4 March 2005

A Eugene company that makes dairy-free ice cream has outfitted a Monaco Coach recreational vehicle as "the country's biggest ice cream truck" for a cross-country promotional tour.

Turtle Mountain's RV departed from Portland on Feb. 17. Stops will include Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago and New York City. The goal of the Purely Decadent Road Tour is to hand out at least 600 samples a day.

In addition to appealing to health-conscious consumers looking for a dairy-free alternative, Turtle Mountain said its products are 100 percent plant-based and have no cholesterol, no artificial sweeteners, no trans fats, and no hydrogenated oils.

Privately held Turtle Mountain has specialized in the development and production of dairy-free frozen desserts for over 15 years. Its sales have grown from $3 million in 1998 to $16 million in 2004.

gertvegan
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:41 PM
MOTHER HEMP (http://www.motherhemp.com/index.html) make a dairy free alternative to ice cream, made from the 'creamy milk' of crushed organic hemp seeds. Tasting just like ice cream but is free from dairy, made from non-hydrogenated fat, and contains no cholestrol.

Available in 3 flavours Vanilla, Strawberry, Mint Choc Chip.

gertvegan
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:48 PM
For those going to the Veganforum meetup @ Heart of England Vegan Festival 2005 (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751), First foods (http://www.first-foods.com/) are giving out free samples of strawberries and creem.

1vegan
Mar 5th, 2005, 07:52 PM
D'ice -- Pipo Soja ice :) that's the one I buy if I do buy ice :)

http://www.udea.nl/2_assortiment/2.html

"D'ice -- Pipo Soja Aardbeien "

pipo (clown) soy strawbery ...

it's actually a children's icecream with a flute in the stem of the ice cream :)

*licks lips*

tails4wagging
Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:44 PM
Yes, its called 'rock and roll' made by toffuti, scrummy!!!! :)

PinkLogik
Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
Fantastic!!! Is going to be sold in Holland and Barrett stores by any chance - do you know?

tails4wagging
Apr 4th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Not sure, I got mine from a health store. If we nag H&B they may stock it.

cowpie
Apr 11th, 2005, 02:16 AM
One vote for Soy Delicious here. I love their peanut butter and chocolate. I also love Tofutti Cuties. I just wish they'd make them bigger. I usually have to eat two of them to feel satisfied.

DianeVegan
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:21 AM
I have tried a few brands of tofu ice cream but many of them reminded me of non-dairy whipped topping. Then I found, "Vice Cream," by Jeff Rogers. If you have any type of ice cream maker then I greatly suggest this book to you. The ice creams are raw cashew based (there are even many recipes for those who eat raw foods) and considering that we eat so many soy products anyway, in the name of moderation, this is a great alternative. Besides, the results are fabulous, and my non-vegan step-children didn't know the difference from dairy (they can tell when it's soy).

If you are not overly fond of the taste of maple syrup, then I highly recommend a simple syrup (sugar and water, found in many basic recipe books) in it's place. Also, it is not necessary to use the non-alcoholic extracts if you cannot find them - they both freeze well.

We LOVE ice cream in this house so this book has been a real jewel for us!

Kiva Dancer
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Must.... get.... this.... book *drools over the thought of icecream*

Alcohol will freeze, provided there's not much of it in your base. If there is, the mixture won't freeze at all. Since I can never remember formulas, I usually restrict my alcohol additions to whatever's in the extract.

DianeVegan
Apr 11th, 2005, 10:56 PM
You will not be sorry. Last night we had the strawberry (with some left-over frozen berries we picked last June) and it was soooo good.

Caitlin
Jun 28th, 2005, 07:25 AM
I tried Turtle Mountain, I think by Soy Dream or Soy Delicious in the Turtle Trails (caramel and little chacolate hazenuts balls) I fell in LOVE with it hehe

foxytina_69
Jun 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
:o
I have Soy Delicious Peanut butter Zig Zag in the freezer now. It is divine.
It is taunting me but I had a chocolate bar today.

i tried this! i thought it was good but a little too sweet for my liking :o

FR
Jun 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I like everything that Soy Delicious offers. Also, I dig Rice Dreams ice ceam bars covered in chocolate and peanuts. However, the best ice cream I've ever had is made by Chicago Soy Dairy. They are 100% vegan right down to the equipment used to process their products. They have a line called Temptation and their Cookie Dough flavor is just too good for mere words to describe. It is sold exclusively in a few states, Indiana being one of them. They are based in Chicago.

Oh yeah, one time I had some soft serve OatsCreme, Apple flavor... Amazing!

bittersweet
Jun 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Just fed Tofutti cones to my omnivore workmates today - they all said they were "very nice", or "delicious"....

twinkle
Jun 28th, 2005, 05:19 PM
For all the UK peeps who haven't tried them, Goodness Foods stock a large range of the Tofutti frozen goodies like cuties and hip-hip-hoorays which you can see here (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/sect/OSD.html") - I heartily recommend the Totally Fudge pops :)

I normally get my local health food shop to order me boxes when they get their order in, so if you don't want to place a large order to justify the postage, it might be worth seeing if they supply your local hfs.

Tigerlily
Jun 28th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Soy Delicious Li'l Buddies beat Tofutti's Cuties anyday.

fragrantfree
Dec 26th, 2005, 12:08 PM
I have edited out my posting since what I posted about had already been mentioned in this thread and so my newly created thread was almagamated into this very old thread, which in my humble opinion is a tad tedious, and if I had of been a newbie to forums, I would have presumed my posting had been deleted - I wonder how many new members have been lost to this board because of such tedious tasks on the admin/moderators part.

I really can't be bothered anymore to seek out where my postings have been moved too, to then find them almagamated into thread that had been dormant for Months. I give up.