PDA

View Full Version : Vegan ice cream?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

mn_nurse
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Yeah, don't even want to know what the mushy peas are. :)

Yes, we have jelly & jam in the states, but usually the jelly stays on the toast or english muffin or whatever. Never seen anyone put it on ice cream or "swedish glaze" (whatever that is!).

What's the deal with "chips" anyway? What do you call actual potato chips in the UK? :D

Enchantress
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:07 AM
We call "actual potato chips" crisps :).

tabitha
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Yes, we have jelly & jam in the states, but usually the jelly stays on the toast or english muffin or whatever. Never seen anyone put it on ice cream or "swedish glaze" (whatever that is!).

What's the deal with "chips" anyway? What do you call actual potato chips in the UK? :D

Mushy peas are completely revolting and they smell foul!!!:eek: Think of what came out of the little girls mouth when she vomited in The Exorcist.....

Pob
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:17 AM
How dare you!

Mushy peas are brill. I eat them cold in a sandwich, or straight from the tin even :D

I'm not keen on the luminous ones. I used to get Smedleys which had no additives, but haven't seen them for ages. I'll have to start making my own I think. A girl that throws up mushy peas would be my ideal woman, I reckon!

VeganJohn
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Tabs, don't be so cruel about mushy peas lol!! When you have them with chips and some hummus they are tasty :)

mn_nurse - Swedish Glace is a brand of soy ice cream, commonly available in the UK and available in several flavours. It is the best non-dairy ice cream I have ever had. Actually, I want some now :>

mn_nurse
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:37 AM
LOL Sorry for my ignorance for all things British.

The only time you'll see someone willingly eating mushy peas in the US is if they are under the age of 1 and being fed them by someone else.

BTW, what is brill?

And, I'm sorry, peas & hummus? Gotta say "no can do" to that one!:rolleyes:

Pob
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:12 AM
BTW, what is brill?Brilliant! ;)

Mushy peas are not like baby food! I like to cook them till they are a bit dry, and add mint to them.

Thickly "butter" a thick slice of bread, add some big thick fried chips, a line of ketchup, a scoop of minted mushy peas, fold up and eat. Doesn't get much better than that. Maybe that should be called a Yorkshire Kebab or something.

moonshadow
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:02 PM
jelly isn't the same as jam in the states... it's not jelly, either though. jam has bits of fruit in it, jelly doesn't. it's almost like jelly, but maybe a little fruitier and made with pectin, so not quite is jelled...

how was that for confusing?

uk jelly = u.s. jello

u.s. jelly = not quite jam

i didn't like the normal soy delicious, but i adore the purely decadent varieties. they're so much more expensive than other soy ice creams here (uk) though. and i can't get my all time favourite ever flavour here. turtle trails is by far the best ice cream (vegan or not) that i have ever had. but! i'm going to california this summer, so i will get me some turtle trails then!!!!

mn_nurse
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:34 AM
US jello has gelatin in it. We have both jam and jelly here. What was in that bowl looked like our jelly.

Pob
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:57 AM
We actually call preserved fruit in a jar jam if it has chunks of fruit in and jelly if it is smooth and seedless.
That jelly above is jello type stuff, though.

It is vegan jelly (jello). It's made from crystals dissolved in boiling water.

The low sugar varieties are gelatin free over here, as are the packets in trifles. But there is a sugary vegan version sold in health food shops.

I can't remember what the gelling agent is.

It's not exactly like jelly (jello) - it's slightly more crystalline.

Smoothie
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:40 AM
we have something called TOFULINE, which comes in vanilla, chocolate, mocca and strawberry. and then you can get a mix w/pear, strawberry and lemon. and of course the chocolate/vanilla's on sticks, and waffles:) soo good.

and then we have tons of sorbets:D

fiamma
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Ooh waffles - is it possible to make them without a waffle iron? Would a frying pan do the trick? And does anyone have a recipe? That would so make my day :)

Smoothie
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM
hmm.. i think you need a waffle iron. - but they should be really cheap:D

here's my best recipe:

225g/ 1/2lb/ 2 cups wholewheat flour/all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of sea salt
425 ml/ 3/4pt / 2 cups soymilk (i used water one time, and they turned out nice anyway)
4 tbs vegetable oil
some vanilla

mix all the dry ingredients, then stir in the oil and soymilk/water.

use you waffle iron to bake.

they are soo delicious:)

OMG - how i feel like inviting all of my friends on a nice brunch:D

moochbabe
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:24 PM
lol, waffles without a waffle iron are pancakes

fiamma
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:54 PM
:D But what's a girl to do if she doesn't have a waffle iron? Looks like I'm sticking with pancakes for now :-)

Blix
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM

The very thin slices of potato, fried, are called potato crisps. The chips are square -ish and long and deep fried. Chips and pea fritters are good when you are out. Pea fritters are made with mushy peas with a little mint added, formed into balls, cooled till they are firm and then dipped in batter and deep fried. They are gorgeous, but, as the batter contains an egg, then it is off the menu. Oh, for a way to make coating batter without using an egg. Jelly is made with gelatine and fruit juice, or, as a vegan, I use agar agar mixed with fruit juice. Another way is to buy the fruit tea bags and make a strong infusion, then mix in the agar agar and leave till set. Easy peasy, not easy mushy peasy!:p Brill means, brilliant!

Blix
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:34 PM
yes, tofutti is indeed the best vegan icecream. i just had the coffee mashmallow and that maybe my favorite along with better pecan. soy delicious is good too. a couple years ago i'd gorge myself on the mint marble fudge till was to lazy to move.

I had some Tuffutti. I found it in Tesco. It was light but nice. Then I found it contained palm oil, which is planted after the rain forests are cut down. In fact, the rain forests are cut down to provide the land to grow the palm oil plants. Then the animals lose there homes. So no more Toffutti for me.

Gorilla
Jul 3rd, 2006, 04:12 PM
Tofutti also apparently don't guarantee the sugar they use is vegan. :(

i had a Soy Delicious choc ice the other day. Holland & Barrett sell them in the UK. i liked the chocolate coating but thought the ice cream inside was a disappointment, it wasn't very nice. they're not as good as Swedish Glace choc ices.

Pob
Jul 3rd, 2006, 04:27 PM
Pea fritters are made with mushy peas with a little mint added, formed into balls, cooled till they are firm and then dipped in batter and deep fried. They are gorgeous, but, as the batter contains an egg, then it is off the menu. Oh, for a way to make coating batter without using an egg.
Erm - it is quite possible to make a coating batter without egg.

I've had battered veg and battered onion rings that were vegan in restaurants. I actually did get the waitress to double check the first time :o

Chinese batter is usually egg free - it's a slightly lighter batter, and very nice.

Mr Flibble
Jul 3rd, 2006, 04:30 PM
I've had battered veg and battered onion rings that were vegan in restaurants. I actually did get the waitress to double check the first time :o

Indeed, you can buy tempura batter mixes imported from China in the UK. Beer batter is particularly tasty, just whisk together 125g plain white flour, 170ml lager, a pinch salt and 2 tsp baking powder and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 mins. As this is an icecream thread I've used the recipe I just mentioned to deep fry chopped bananas and eat with vanilla icecream and hot chocolate sauce.

Juice
Jul 3rd, 2006, 11:53 PM
The Soy Delicious "Swinging Anna Banana" flavor is my favorite. Followed closely by Chicago Soy Dairy's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Temptation ice cream.

Right now I have some Soy Delicious "Turtle Trails" flavor in the freezer.

claireyveg
Jul 4th, 2006, 03:10 AM
I tried Soylati Mango/Vanilla the other day *swoon* mmm... sooo tasty! I am also partial to the Tofutti Cuties (mint choc chip) they're so tiny but so good :D

Shadowsoul
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I tried doing the recipe found in http://www.vegcooking.com/icecream.asp
and they're really good. :)

Veganbear
Jul 28th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I really wanted some ice cream today. I got all my loose change (since I'm poor and have no real money), and went to the nearest place that sells it. It's a little natural pharmacy or something, so they only had 1 kind of Soy Delicious--Cherry Nirvana. So I go to get my Cherry Nirvana and the freezer is EMPTY. I go to the other one and all they have is Tofutti Vanilla Almond Bark. WHAT HAPPENED TO MY SOY DELICIOUS?????

Now, I used to eat Tofutti before I discovered Soy Delicious, which i am now addicted to. I took a bite of the Tofutti and it was YUCKY. I don't know how I ate the stuff before. I managed to eat most of it--I poured some Pepsi into it to make it better. I couldn't even finish the pint, and I can ALWAYS finish the pint in one sitting. But I spent ALL of my change on it, so I'm goning to eat it. =(

my3labs
Jul 28th, 2006, 03:50 AM
I don't think this stuff is available outside the US but it's darn fine eatin':

http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/

I don't know if all of it is vegan but those that I've tried have been absolutely yummy.