PDA

View Full Version : Vegan ice cream?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Marrers
Jul 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM
They have it in a shop in Brighton in the UK but it's the only place I've seen it here and now I'm addicted they seem to be reducing their stocks!

Gorilla
Jul 28th, 2006, 09:47 PM
i really didn't like the vanilla ice cream in the Soy Delicious choc ices i tried (they sell them in Holland & Barrett). it's put me off trying the other flavours.

Veganbear
Jul 29th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Don't be put off!! You just had plain vanilla--you need to try a REAL flavor! I LOVE Peanut Butter ZigZag, Cherry Nirvana, Mint Chocolate Chip---try one of those!

cedarblue
Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:52 AM
its not ice cream i'm interested in here, more where can i find the cones for to pile my ice cream in?? anyone particularly in the UK know of any :confused:

Gorilla
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
Don't be put off!! You just had plain vanilla--you need to try a REAL flavor! I LOVE Peanut Butter ZigZag, Cherry Nirvana, Mint Chocolate Chip---try one of those!
those flavours aren't easy to get hold of in the UK, if at all. :( i've heard the mint flavour can be found in a shop near me but i've never seen it there myself. ice cream imported from the US is so expensive here.

cedar, aren't normal ice cream cones vegan? i haven't looked but i'm thinking there must be some brands that are suitable. have you tried supermarkets, Holland & Barrett etc?

cedarblue
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
yes i have gorilla, both the cheapo or the more expensive 'askeys' waffle cone seem to have milk in them.

never seen them in h&b.

Gorilla
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
that's annoying! :mad: yet another product that i doubt actually really needs to have milk in it. i have a feeling H&B may sell some sort of gluten/dairy-free ones or something, sorry very vague i know! i'm going shopping tomorrow so i may have to see if there is such a thing as a vegan ice cream cone.

Mr Flibble
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Vegan looking cones are out there in supermarkets, can't remember any brands at the moment thou. Askeys *used* (about 6 years ago) to sell decent waffle cones that only contained vegan ingredients, but they have milk products in now.

Tigerlily
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:03 PM
I'm craving ice cream now.

Maybe when/if I go to the eye glasses shop, I'll pop in to the supermarket too. I love So Delicious fudge bars. You can't even taste the soy in them.

Poppy
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:52 PM
its not ice cream i'm interested in here, more where can i find the cones for to pile my ice cream in?? anyone particularly in the UK know of any :confused:

Hello Cedarblue...I've looked on the internet for you and found this website www.goodnessdirect.co.uk (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk). They advertise Barkat Ice Cream Cones and say they are Dairy/Gluten/Wheat free. Bit costly though at £3.95 for 24! Hope that helps. :D x

cedarblue
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
thanks poppy, although i found 'carousel continental style cornets' (10 premium waffle cones) in asda yesterday, i think they were about £1.18.
they'll do!! :D

Poppy
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Oh that's good then. I'm going to try those myself Cedarblue, thanks :) x

bojangles16
Dec 29th, 2006, 09:29 PM
what is your favorite brand or flavor? and what does it taste like? thanks :)

Bic
Dec 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Tofutti - Butter Pecan
It tastes like butterscotch and the pecans taste like they've been roasted...
It's so delicious! :D
EDIT: Oh, and tofutti has the best texture out of all the brands I've tried. Very light and fluffy.

satirecafe
Dec 29th, 2006, 09:50 PM
O'Soy chocolate velvet flavor - it's amazing!! it tastes kind of like chocolate truffles :)

bexter
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:05 AM
I've been hooked on Soy Delicious Butter Pecan and it's so yummy!!! Got it at Whole Foods...

hbomb
Feb 8th, 2007, 04:22 PM
My favorite is probably Tofutti! They also have ice cream sandwiches called Tofutti Cuties and choclate covered vanilla ice cream on a stick called Hip Hip Hooray.

Other good ones are Soy Dream and Soy Delicious. There is a rice-based one, called Rice Dream, which I don't really like - I find it has an aftertaste.

OH MY GOODNESS I tried the Tofutti Cuties ice cream sanwich last night and nearly died it was sooooo yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leanne
Feb 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Apparently Nestles 102 Dalmations ice cream is vegan so that must taste rather nice.
But, Swedice Glace Ice cream is the best! It comes in vanilla, strawberry and chocolate.. I got mine from Tesco but they sell it at health stores too!

Smoothie
Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
i love the tofutti icecream. here in denmark you can get chocolate, vanilla, mocca (my fav) and strawberry. then you can get a mix of, i think it is, strawberry, vanilla and pear? never tried that one, though.
i like the cones too, and the cuties. haven't seen that since summertime, but then they'll have it back soon:) i looove icecream.

we also have VERY nice icecream shop here, which has ordinary dairybased icecream, and ten they have THE BEST vegan sorbets i've ever tasted. and they have all kinds of flavours; berries, elderflower, apple, lemon, lime, orange and whatever. it's soooo good.

RedWellies
Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
But, Swedish Glace Ice cream is the best! It comes in vanilla, strawberry and chocolate.. !
And raspberry and coffee/mocha.

Marrers
Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
I used to like Tofutti coffee marshmallow but it was discontinued a few years back.

There is such a choice of fab vegan ice cream in the States, it puts our small selection to shame. :mad: For a while I could get Soy Delicious chocolate madness (or something like that) in Brighton but they don't have it anymore.

mooli magic
Feb 22nd, 2007, 08:34 PM
I loved the Vanilla B-Nice ice cream I tried at the christmas without cruelty fayre. It's made out of rice too, so if you avoid soy or reduce the amount in your diet it's great!

paradoxsund
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
oooooh i love the tofutti vanilla fudge one!

i wish i could find soy ice cream in germany x_x

Mr Flibble
Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
At the risk of being told off again ;)

Apparently Nestles 102 Dalmations ice cream is vegan so that must taste rather nice.

For reasons found in the following link, quite a few people around here boycott nestle (http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/boycott.html), irrelevant of products that may be vegan made by them.

i love the tofutti icecream

I understand the level to which vegans care about manufacturing techniques varies greatly and is up to the individual, however I should point to anyone reading that Tofutti themselves have admitted several times (including in a letter posted to this forum) that their non-organic products may use sugar processed with bone char.

aubergine
Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
I for one won't tell you off. It's useful and important information.