PDA

View Full Version : Vegan ice cream?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

xwitchymagicx
Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
I wish we had nicer vegan ice cream here. I guess I'll have to make my own. :(

We only really have Swedish Glace. I want fancy ice cream!!

Well we have Toffuti but I don't eat that because of the bones. :confused:

Smoothie
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
oh. but it's not the actual tofutti we have here, apparantly, its something called tofu-line, which should be vegan.
anyway, i just forgot the name, as they're kind of similar.

paradoxsund
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
i didn't know about the bone char :( sigh

Marrers
Feb 24th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I'm not convinced about the bone char - I heard the UK made stuff is okay.

Mr Flibble
Feb 24th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I'm not convinced about the bone char - I heard the UK made stuff is okay.

Where from? This was their reply to me in August:

This would be true of
all our products sold anywhere that do not list organic sugar as an
ingredient, in which case they would be certain not to have passed
through animal bone char. We cannot guarantee it with all our other
products.

I'd be very interested if this info has since changed

i didn't know about the bone char :( sigh

Neither did I for 6 years. Unfortunately there's noone out there to slap the wrists of a company that labels products as vegan that are (in the view of a lot of people, which could debatebly be the majority of), not vegan, due to no proper definition of the word. Personally I think that Tofutti are purposely trying to gain extra customers through misinformation. Hence I boycott them - including their organic products.

Nicola.T
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM
Rasberry Swedish Glace, just tried it tonight. Mmmmmmm :) Although mango sorbet is just as good if i cant et my hands on any Swedish Glace

Marrers
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I'm not normally a fan of sorbets but Waitrose have an amazing cherry sorbet - sorry if I've mentioned it before.

Korn
Mar 15th, 2007, 01:07 AM
http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/images/Vice_Cream_cover.jpg

Vice Cream by Jeff Rogers (http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_40_45&products_id=398&zenid=be6ea24f595027a73403fe611b7c77bf)

xwitchymagicx
Mar 15th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Shame I haven't got an Ice Cream maker. :(

Roxy
Mar 15th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I want to buy an ice cream maker now!! I just read the a few reviews of this book on Amazon.ca and now I want the book and the ice cream maker :D

fluerpot
Mar 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Rasberry Swedish Glace, just tried it tonight. Mmmmmmm :) Although mango sorbet is just as good if i cant et my hands on any Swedish Glace

Rasberry is to die for, it's my favourite flavour! :D Never tried sorbet though, so will give that a go!

audrey731
Jun 17th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Slightly off-topic but do you know any good vegan ice cream toppings? Like whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and sprinkles?

anael
Jun 18th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I've found a french firm which make vegan ice creams
this is www.lesojami.com (http://www.lesojami.com)

RachelJune
Jun 18th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Slightly off-topic but do you know any good vegan ice cream toppings? Like whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and sprinkles?

I always make my own topping using a bar of dark chocolate, melted with some sweetened soya milk and just a touch of golden syrup. It's lovely and gooey and chocolately... :D Icecream just isn't the same without it.

Aradia
Jun 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM
You don't need an ice cream maker to make great ice cream.

Just pour your mix into a container and freeze it. Then, when it starts to form ice crystals mix it all up again with a fork and refreeze... repeat this three or four times and then freeze completely. Temper to serve.

Granted, you can't just leave it to itself .. . you have to keep breaking it up with a fork, but if you can't afford an ice cream maker, or just cant wait to try a recipe it works fine - I've made lots of ice cream this way.

Fave ice cream topping ... chopped nuts, banana sliced thinly and grated Green & Blacks Maya Gold (lots of it. And then some more .. .depends how big the bowl is really. Sometimes I need to open another bar because the bowl isn't quite overflowing! :D ).

frank language
Jun 18th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Soyatoo (http://www.soyatoo.com/)! You Brits had it first.

pudding06
Jun 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I've found a french firm which make vegan ice creams
this is www.lesojami.com (http://www.lesojami.com)

thanks for this!!! I checked out their website and have found where to buy their products where I will be staying in France this summer. brilliant!!!!:D
nicola

DancingWillow
Jun 24th, 2007, 10:20 PM
on my last shopping trip, i noticed a new soy ice-cream...the brand is Temptation. i got the peach cobbler flavor, which has chunks of dough. it's very good, but sweeter than other ice-creams i've tried (soy delicious has 17g sugar per 1/2 cup and this one has 21g per 1/2 cup), and even though i love sweets, i don't like them to be too sweet, so i'll only get this one once in a while for variety:)

Herbidacious
Jun 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I tried Swedish Glace Soft Caramel for the first time yesterday and thought it tasted like creamy toffee, very tasty.
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/330011.html

rianaelf
Jun 25th, 2007, 02:19 PM
on my last shopping trip, i noticed a new soy ice-cream...the brand is Temptation. i got the peach cobbler flavor, which has chunks of dough. it's very good, but sweeter than other ice-creams i've tried (soy delicious has 17g sugar per 1/2 cup and this one has 21g per 1/2 cup), and even though i love sweets, i don't like them to be too sweet, so i'll only get this one once in a while for variety:)

chunks of dough??? :confused:

insubordination
Jun 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I just made an amazing 'ice cream'. I put some frozen bananas in a food processor, added some peanut and almond butter, a tablespoon of coconut milk and a bit of green and black's drinking chocolate (it's 'grainy' and won't change the other flavours completely). Blend and freeze. It is heavenly. Will try carob powder next time.

frank language
Jun 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM
One important thing about Chicago SoyDairy's Temptations is they make their stuff in a totally vegan, nut-free facility. I believe they're the only one (in the States, anyway) that can say that.

I notice that along with the price creeping up to equal that of the super-premium ice creams, the calories are now just about equal as well. The "Purely Decadent" line of Soy Delicious are all about as high in calories as a scoop of Haagen-Dazs. Anyone else notice that?

(In terms of sheer "bang-for-your-buck," I get the quart of Chocolate Velvet Soy Delicious--$3 at Trader Joe's, and only 130 calories per scoop.)

Steph
Jun 27th, 2007, 04:56 AM
One important thing about Chicago SoyDairy's Temptations is they make their stuff in a totally vegan, nut-free facility. I believe they're the only one (in the States, anyway) that can say that.

This just made me pull out my Temptation Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough icecream and have a few scoops while I type this.. I LOVE THIS ICECREAM!
So sinfully rich and sweet (hence the name, "Temptation", and the little devil mascot on the front). Yup, definately not low-cal or low-fat, but so good if you have a sweet tooth. I've tried the Peach Cobbler too, I did enjoy it, but I go back to and prefer the choc. chip cookie dough one.

tipsy
Jun 27th, 2007, 05:07 AM
oh man am i a sucker for temptation ice cream, i once whent to the facility where they make it and had samples.... drool....drool....drool...

i cant get it out here on the west coast though.

(youre right though, williow... its VERY sweet! i can only handle a little bit... but thats why i like it so much!:p )

veggiegirl52
Aug 9th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Vegan Toffuti Cuties and toffuti ice cream bars called "Marry Me" they're really good!:)