PDA

View Full Version : Vegan ice cream?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

earthylovingirl
Aug 10th, 2007, 04:09 AM
yum i adore Toffuti Cuties...

Marrers
Jan 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
For a while I have been raving on about how good Rookbeare Farm Dark Cherry Sorbet is but it is quite hard to find.

From their website:-

Where can I buy your products?
From good Farm Shops and Delicatessens. Larger outlets include Waitrose, Fresh & Wild, Harrods and House of Fraser Food Store.

I emailed Waitrose to find out which branches stock it:-

I am pleased to advise that Rookbeare Sorbet Dark Cherry is available in 23 Waitrose branches.

Gillingham, Brighton, Dorchester, Westbury Park, Marlborough, Bath, Yateley, Ringwood, Salisbury,
Gloucester Road (London), John Lewis Food Hall (Oxford St, London),
Okehampton, Saltash, Sidmouth, Chandlers Ford, Portishead,
Kensington (London), Farnham, Southampton, Lewes, Eastbourne, Parkstone and Lymington.

Digital Ghost
Jan 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
When I want to get Rookbeare raspberry sorbet I always phone the branch of Waitrose and get them to reserve it for me.

One time I went all the way to Devon (I was sort of visiting someone but I felt the sorbet was more important really) and they didnt have any :eek: and the problem with frozen stuff is I cant exactly bring it back on the train from London.

I think they think I'm a bit odd cause the Okehampton branch is only small but they always reserve it and its funny cause they always write VEGAN in capital letters before my name - its like they have given me a new title or something.:p

Out of interest I always get them to reserve the Raspberry one cause thats my favourite - but I always keep the other flavours in the freezer as well so I can have a mixed flavour sorbet.

veggiemaya
Jan 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I dont know if someone already mentioned, but I have been getting Soy Delicious mini's. They are similar to Tofutti cuties...and I personally like them a little more. Also, I just recently came across this non dairy sorbet that is ridiculously good. its called wine cellar sorbet (http://www.winecellarsorbet.com/). unfortunatley I am lucky enough to have allergies to many things, one being sulfites which this sorbet does contain..so i cant really have more than a spoonful at a time or it will bother me. but it's really good stuff...delish!! ;)

Aurore
Jan 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM
our family loves the sojasun icecreams (those in pots). the chocolate one is more similar to a mousse than an icecream:p. it's hard to find them though.

steven1222
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
When I treat myself to vegan ice cream, it is most likely to be Soy Delicious from Turtle Mountain because that does not contain anything scary like traces of cows' milk, 10 grams of fiber or 35 grams of sugar per cup. All of those are problems with some other brands.
I have not tasted vegan ice cream sandwiches because they remind me of their dairy counterpart, which I strongly disliked as a child.

Topaz
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Soy Delicious is so yummy, even my non-vegan husband enjoys eating it. My favorite is the Chocolate Brownie Almond flavor.

veggiemaya
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Soy Delicious is so yummy, even my non-vegan husband enjoys eating it. My favorite is the Chocolate Brownie Almond flavor.

isn't it?? i honestly can't tell the difference from the real stuff. i haven't tried too many flavors yet, although i have to fight the urge to just buy them all. problem is i would probably eat them all....in about 3 days! i have the 90 calorie mini's in my freezer now and the toffutti fudge bars that are only 30 cal's per bar!! soy delicious also makes a really good yogurt, cinnamon bun flavor. its sooo good! i only wish they carried them in more stores! :(

Haniska
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I like rice dream way better cuz it is sweet and doesn't have that soy flavor. When I am in Richmond I buy the carrot cake rice dream at Kroger. It is something like 50% Vitamin A per serving so I pretend its healthy.:p

veggiemaya
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I like rice dream way better cuz it is sweet and doesn't have that soy flavor. When I am in Richmond I buy the carrot cake rice dream at Kroger. It is something like 50% Vitamin A per serving so I pretend its healthy.:p

i just saw that one in the natural market the other day..and thats the flavor i was going to get. but i have to confess that i am a bit neurotic about having too much fat and calories...and the rice dream is higher than the others. maybe every now and then for a treat! :o

Yoggy
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm currently defrosting a nice bowl of homemade chocolate chip ice cream from "How it All Vegan" :D

ALexiconofLove
Jan 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Haniska is right. Rice dream rocks, especially the carrot cake! The soy flavor in other ice creams, like soy delicious, is yucky to me.

justdewit38
Jan 28th, 2008, 06:31 AM
O'Soy chocolate velvet flavor - it's amazing!! it tastes kind of like chocolate truffles :) Check o'soy ingredients, if you haven't. Here the o'soy yogurt had dairy derived culture in it, so it contained dairy. I was surprised. I usually just make smoothies with strawberries or other frozen fruit and frozen bannannas, with a bit of soymilk and sweetener of choice. I want some chocolate kind though. I just got the Ten Talents cookbook, and it has a rice ice cream recipe in it, you can make it with an icecream maker or not. It was served at the Five Loaves restuarant. I think I will start there, maybe check out some boughten kind soon. they only have two small health food stores here and they are small. The nice one is an hour away.

veggiemaya
Jan 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Check o'soy ingredients, if you haven't. Here the o'soy yogurt had dairy derived culture in it, so it contained dairy. I was surprised. I usually just make smoothies with strawberries or other frozen fruit and frozen bannannas, with a bit of soymilk and sweetener of choice. I want some chocolate kind though. I just got the Ten Talents cookbook, and it has a rice ice cream recipe in it, you can make it with an icecream maker or not. It was served at the Five Loaves restuarant. I think I will start there, maybe check out some boughten kind soon. they only have two small health food stores here and they are small. The nice one is an hour away.

yes, you are right. unfortunately O'Soy yogurt does contain dairy. I was very bummed to find this out because the chocolate flavor is really good. I am not sure about the ice cream but i would definitely look in to it. I have found one really good one by So Delicious, although they don't carry it in many stores for some reason. they make a cinnamon roll flavor that is really yummy!!

bryzee86
Jan 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
thanks for the tip, marrers. I treated myself to a tub of Rookbeare's cherry sorbet the other day and it was gone within 24 hours. My god that stuff was brilliant. You don't get that goopy mucus-y afterthought that you get with commercial sorbets.

Anik
Mar 12th, 2008, 07:26 AM
This may be a stupid question...but is fruit flavoured gelato's/sorbets vegan safe? I always thought they were just made from sugar, ice, flavouring and water?

xrodolfox
Mar 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
You only know once you read the ingredient list. All brands are different, and even some brands are different depending on local distributor. Check your ingredient lists! Plus, it helps to know what the heck you are eating, even if it happens to be vegan (but made from a dozen things you don't know about).

harpy
Mar 12th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Here in Yurrup it used to be common to make sorbet with egg white, but as far as I can tell commercial ones never have it now (they sometimes include some vegetable gum such as guar instead I think).

If you were having it in a restaurant or cafe it might still be advisable to check they haven't used egg white.

bryzee86
Mar 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Just to let UK folks know - Swedish Glace now do a 1.3L Neopolitan tub. It's recently become available to me at my local Tesco for £2.99 - I've one ready to be attacked in my freezer.

Stu
Mar 12th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I've been on the lookout for these badboys, but thus far to no avail.

Bry, you've made me crave ice cream. I'm gonna go and get some out of the freezer.

sandra
Mar 12th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I've been dreaming about Swedish Glace Neopolitan ice cream!:o:D

Stu
Mar 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, this hits the spot.

bryzee86
Mar 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
try Sainsbury's islington - they've got it.

Stu
Mar 12th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Hmmmmm....... I go through Islington twice a day on my bike. Where abouts is it? Which bit of Islington, I mean?

bryzee86
Mar 12th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Angel