PDA

View Full Version : Vegan ice cream?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

8 winks
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:59 AM
i see it all the time, but i don't know what brand to try ... does anyone have a favorite name or flavor?

veganesquire
Aug 13th, 2004, 04:12 AM
My favorite is probably Tofutti! They also have ice cream sandwiches called Tofutti Cuties and choclate covered vanilla ice cream on a stick called Hip Hip Hooray.

Other good ones are Soy Dream and Soy Delicious. There is a rice-based one, called Rice Dream, which I don't really like - I find it has an aftertaste.

negavert
Aug 13th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Soy Delicious hands down! They are so rich and decadent, it's like the equivalent to Ben and Jerry's approach to ice cream. If you're a chocoholic like me, you'll be in heaven with the Chocolate Brownie ... (drool) ... um, towel please...

cast_the_flames
Aug 13th, 2004, 07:04 AM
i LOVE soy delicious!

Gorilla
Aug 13th, 2004, 08:21 AM
i'm guessing you're in the US?

in the UK we have Tofutti which is pretty good, they do tubs and they also do ice cream cones which are nice. My favourite vegan ice cream is called Swedish Glace, they do loads of flavours. i don't think i've seen Soy Delicious in the UK.

at least one supermarket (Sainsbury's) does their own vegan frozen dessert here, which is amazing, and it's actually not too bad! i think they did a toffee and walnut one which was my favourite. :)

Cloudy
Aug 13th, 2004, 08:25 AM
i'm guessing you're in the US?
at least one supermarket (Sainsbury's) does their own vegan frozen dessert here, which is amazing, and it's actually not too bad! i think they did a toffee and walnut one which was my favourite. :)

Hey hey, top tip! I always just wander past that bit as I presume there's nothing in there for the likes of us. That one sounds good.

Tofutti is my fave though, yum yum

Roxy
Aug 13th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Yeah those Toffutie Cuties are pretty yummy! :p

gertvegan
Aug 13th, 2004, 09:25 AM
You may find some swedish glace will have a sticker on, inviting you to return your proof of purchase and a brief couple of words about the product, and they refund the cost of the ice cream. What, free ice cream you ask ?

mattd
Aug 13th, 2004, 04:37 PM
My favorite is probably Tofutti! They also have ice cream sandwiches called Tofutti Cuties and choclate covered vanilla ice cream on a stick called Hip Hip Hooray.

Other good ones are Soy Dream and Soy Delicious. There is a rice-based one, called Rice Dream, which I don't really like - I find it has an aftertaste.

yes, tofutti is indeed the best vegan icecream. i just had the coffee mashmallow and that maybe my favorite along with better pecan. soy delicious is good too. a couple years ago i'd gorge myself on the mint marble fudge till was to lazy to move.

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 13th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Double Rainbow Soy Creams, especially "Dulce No Leche" . I have only had it once, at the Natural Foods and Products Expo. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Fruitbat
Aug 13th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Swedish glace all the way! The vanilla and choc ones are gorgeous. I hear they are or have brought out Caramel (VeganKeagan on WVD mentioned it a couple of months ago) but I havent seen it yet. I am dying to try it. I also like Toffutti - not the cones, but their cookies one is nice. I havent been able to try any other flavours. I live carob ices too. In Australia I had So Good Boysenberry and that was well nice there was also choclate, vanilla and a couple of others too. Still Sweidhs is my favourtie!!!!

Kiva Dancer
Aug 13th, 2004, 10:02 PM
I like Purely Decadent Soy Delicious. Chocolate Brownie Almond is my favourite.

John
Aug 13th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Put me down as a soy delicious fan. I like the chocolate peanutbutter.

Veganmama
Aug 14th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Australia sucks for choice, we have So Good icecream which has that real "SOY" taste but there is one other brand that i can't name but starts with an F that is really nice they have choc vanilla and caramel.

All these Tofutti flavours sound great

animalsvoice
Aug 14th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Almost only packets in Sweden:( Nothing else to buy in stores at least. And I've never seen anything else myself.

animalsvoice
Aug 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM
The only ice-cream here is 2 flavours of Tofutti in packets and 2 flavours of "Oatly". That's all:D I miss cones and things like that!!:( I'm discriminated!!

Kevster
Aug 18th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Are you trying to tell me they don't have Swedish Glace in Sweden?! I'd send some over, but fear it would melt.

Fruitbat, i'm with you all the way on the vanilla and chocolate varieties. My Dad is a converted swedish glace eater after pronouncing it better than the usual stuff he buys.

Fruitbat
Aug 18th, 2004, 08:34 PM
I want that new Caramel Sweidh glace to come out! Somone on another forum said it would be coming out this summer but as yet I have not heard of it :(

Fruitbat
Aug 19th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Here is what Swedish Glace ppl had ot say to my email about whether it is on the market and future flavours (I suggested mint choc and cookies n cream)

Dear xxxxx,
Thank you for your mail. It's good to hear how much you enjoy Swedish Glace.
It's true! We've launched Soft Caramel into the independent trade and will roll out to Holland & Barrett and the multiples (hopefully) in October. I attach a pictorial.
Mint Choc Chip is a possibility for the future although Cookies are more difficult. We are considering luxurious options at a premium price as a future development. The problem is getting listings for lines that are perceived as small sellers when compared with Vanilla. The pressure for space on retail shelves is considerable and products have to justify their existence. However,you may be interested to know that we will launch Chocolate coated Vanilla on a stick later this year. This will give us an indication of the potential that exists for variations.
Your support is appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
Chris Swire.

He sent me a picture of the caramel stuff and it is only 5% fat!!!!!!!! Cant get it to show here sorry

uww27225
Aug 19th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I just bought some soy delicious and it's awesome. I had some mocha mix at my gf's mom's house last weekend and it was really good to. My gf reluctantly tried it. We were both pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted. (It was even better in the Brandy Alexander ;) ) Who knew you could find a good dairy alternative in nowhere, Iowa?? :)

SilverBird
Aug 28th, 2004, 05:22 PM
I've tried Swedish Glace in the chocolate and vanilla flavours. The chocolate one is quite nice, and goes down well with a Provamel chocolate dessert poured over and a swirl of Provamel Soya Dream as a finishing touch. The vanilla is "acceptable" but our family prefer this flavour when served with something else, such as apple pie, or with some maple syrup poured over. I bought some vanilla and chocolate flavour Tofutti ice cream recently. We weren't impressed with the vanilla. My hubby then tried some of the vanilla with a Provamel chocolate dessert poured over it but he said it made the ice cream taste even less pleasant. The remainder of the tub met its end down the sink. The chocolate flavour isn't too bad but prefer the Swedish Glace chocolate flavour. Think we'll stick to pouring Provamel's Soya Dream over fruit, fruit pies/crumbles, etc. and as an occasional treat the Swedish Glace/Provamel concoction. Perhaps its our taste buds as we don't like the plain soya yoghurt on its own either.

Thundercat
Aug 29th, 2004, 09:54 PM
RICE DREAM is SOOO good, and Tofutti cuttie's are yummy!

slinkyvagabond
Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:00 AM
Here in MO I've found little containers (think Ben & Jerry's size) of Soy Delicious, and bought the chocolate variety. While it wasn't exactly like typical creamy ice cream, I was very pleasantly surprised and am actually craving some right now...mmm...I'll have to poke around Whole Foods and see what else is available to try.

Also, when I visited my friend in LA, we shopped at Trader Joe's and got no-sugar-added chocolate covered ice cream pops. I think they were by Tofutti, and found the vanilla "ice cream" inside to be very creamy and good.

Mystic
Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:42 AM
Australia sucks for choice, we have So Good icecream which has that real "SOY" taste but there is one other brand that i can't name but starts with an F that is really nice they have choc vanilla and caramel.

All these Tofutti flavours sound great

Do you mean Fruccio? I like the vanilla one. There is also dutch chocolate but I haven't tried that one. I never liked that dutch chocolate flavour - it is bitter. Vitari is like a sorbet, that is vegan and the strawberry one is particularly yummy. But it has disappeared off the shelf. By the way, if anyone knows where the hell vitari has disappeared to, let me know!!!! However, Weiss (I think) have developed a sorbet that is vegan. I discovered this a week ago and I bought the lemon one. All I can say is YUMMY. I have never tried So Good ice cream coz I hate the so good soy milk :eek:

Mystic
Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:48 AM
Veganmama...I don't know where you are in Melbourne, but I have seen Toffuti in a jewish supermarket in Balaclava. I also saw the Soylati (same as 'soygurt') brand of ice cream there once and I bought the cream caramel one and it was the most delicious thing ever. I don't go there often, but I just thought I would inform you that they are available here if they are within your reach!!!!

I want to try rice dream ice cream. I saw it when I was in America recently and I never got the chance to eat it (the tub was too big and we didn't have a freezer in our room). I love rice dream rice milk, so what is the ice cream like?