PDA

View Full Version : Substitutions in recipes?

Yogini
Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz arrived in the mail yesterday and it looks awesome. I can't wait to start cooking.

I can be kind of picky and I like that in most of the recipes it seems easy to use ingredients I like in place of those I don't. But one recipe I'd really like to try has me flummoxed. Mango summer rolls, in addition to scallions, rice noodles, and nummy a sounding dipping sauce, call for (well, duh) mangoes, which I'm allergic to. Can anybody think of a good substitution? The recipe calls for one mango sliced into matchsticks.

Thanks!

Mr Flibble
Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:04 PM
given the way it's used and the other ingredients, i'd guess that mangoes themselves don't serve a purpose in the recipe which needs substituting (such as working as a binder, emulsifier etc). Thus you could just use any simularly tasting/textured fruit, such as peaches.

tipsy
Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
given the way it's used and the other ingredients, i'd guess that mangoes themselves don't serve a purpose in the recipe which needs substituting (such as working as a binder, emulsifier etc). Thus you could just use any simularly tasting/textured fruit, such as peaches.

yeah, what he said:)

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
Yes, as Mr Flibble said, any similarly textured sweet/tart fruit would go nicely..you could also use avocado slices dipped in lemon or lime juice and they'd be DELICOUS :)

Yogini
Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
Mmmmmm, avocado. Now we're talking.

Thanks all for the replies!