PDA

View Full Version : Starfruit

soyabean
Feb 24th, 2006, 01:34 AM
What's happened to all the starfruit? I used to love them, but I don't think I've seen one on sale for well over a year now - have they gone extinct?

Roxy
Feb 24th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Nope......not extinct. We have them here. Maybe they are getting rather expensive to import - perhaps that's why you haven't seen them.

Peas'nHominy
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I've got some in my frig right now. :D Yuuummmm! But now that you mention it, I haven't noticed them on sale for....gosh, I don't remember...??

cedarblue
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:12 AM
you are right, i havent seen them lately either - although from my memory, they dont taste of very much, a bit bland to me.

Tiggerwoo
Feb 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM
I remember always seeing them in the posh supermarkets like Waitrose, maybe they would have them?

Peas'nHominy
Feb 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM
OOOhhhh, I get it. When you say "on sale" it means something different from when I say "on sale." :rolleyes: Yeah, it's still readily around/available/in the grocery stores/in the restaurants/on sale around here. :D

FR
Feb 24th, 2006, 01:33 PM
MMMM, I like starfruit.

Tigerlily
Feb 24th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I always found star fruit boring. But that's maybe because they have to ship it far away to my no man's land island...

Jane M
Feb 24th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I don't think it tastes so great but it is pretty sliced up on a platter.

FR
Feb 24th, 2006, 02:33 PM
What are the prickly pears called? Cactus pears or something? Those are good, too.

maya
Feb 24th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Yup, cactus pears. They are also called Indian figs. I have them growing outside my house but the birds get to them before I do.

What are the prickly pears called? Cactus pears or something? Those are good, too.

Peas'nHominy
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I always called starfruit "kiwi." The ones I get have a great, strong flavor -- juicy and sorta tart, similar to green apples.

I don't think I've ever had a cactus pear. Sounds cool, though.

Artichoke47
Feb 24th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I think starfruit and kiwi are different...

FR
Feb 24th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Starfruit:

http://www.paradasia.com/Photos_reduced/starfruit_b10_reduced.JPG

http://smallbusiness.miva.com/products/demo/Merchant/graphics/products/produce/display/starfruit_d.gif

Kiwi:

http://www.5aday.gov/tools/assets/photos/kiwi.jpg

Artichoke47
Feb 24th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the visuals, FR.

:p

I have pineapple, kiwi, mango, and papaya salad in the frig that I cut up this morning!

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:42 PM
"Frig" :eek: HAHAHAHA!

It always makes me laugh when I see people saying "frig" all over the boards...(it means something naughty). I always say "frige" or even make myself type out the entire word 'cause "frig" makes me giggle :D

soyabean
Feb 25th, 2006, 04:16 PM
"Frig" :eek: HAHAHAHA!

It always makes me laugh when I see people saying "frig" all over the boards...(it means something naughty). I always say "frige" or even make myself type out the entire word 'cause "frig" makes me giggle :D

Is that have you spell "fridge" over there, without the "d"?
Over here it's a "fridge" or a "refridgerator"

/feigns innocence of any other meanings

Jane M
Feb 25th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Is that have you spell "fridge" over there, without the "d"?
Over here it's a "fridge" or a "refridgerator"

/feigns innocence of any other meanings

Yeah it is the same in my neighborhood. Maybe it is a local thing? Darn now what does it mean?????

Peas'nHominy
Feb 26th, 2006, 01:31 AM
AAAhhh, thanks FR! :) That's weird, 'cuz all my life people have referred to kiwi as starfruit because it does look star-ish. I haven't had the actual starfruit y'all are talking about!

I've seen both "frig" and "fridge" -- never stopped to notice that the -g would actually make a hard sound in the former. HA!! ;)

I've just been having this whole conversation with everyone and talking about something very different. :cool: <<L>> How fun is that?! :D

Jane M
Feb 26th, 2006, 01:38 AM
ohhhhh now I get it....ohhhhhh:eek:

Peas'nHominy
Feb 26th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Okay... now that I've completely gotten off topic with kiwi to frig (ha, ha, ha) and look like a total airhead, let me just say...

I do not know if starfruit has gone extinct or why they seem to not be for sale in your area or if they are still for sale and I have NO IDEA what they taste like!!!!

HA!

...<slinks off to a different thread, giggle'n>...:o