PDA

View Full Version : Fish in soft drinks!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gorilla
Aug 13th, 2004, 11:03 AM
For those of you who don't already know, i have only just found out thanks to Viva! that Coca-Cola have been using fish as a stabiliser in the following drinks: Fanta orange (and light), Lilt pineapple & grapefruit (and light), Alive Orange Cascade, Kia-ora Orange & Pineapple (and no added sugar).

i'm avoiding anything made my Coca-Cola if possible anyway because of their dubious ethics, and now this. grrrr

Roxy
Aug 13th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Yuck! Tsunami (who sometime's posts here) used to say that they used lard as a de-foamer when making soft-drinks.

Sabster
Aug 15th, 2004, 03:37 AM
That's really grose. That's probably a past tense thing though since most companies no longer use lard in their products for health reasons. My dad talks of the 70's when they'd have to read labels on pastries, etc. to make sure lard wasn't in the food.

Pembroke
Aug 15th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Do you have any idea what the fish product is called? Is there any way to identify it on the ingrediants list?

That pisses me off..... Fish, in a soft drink?!?! I think I'll just stick to water x_x

beforewisdom
Aug 15th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the good info!

Soda over-consumption is a major contributer to the obesity epidemic, the diabetes epidemic, osetoporsis, and tooth decay.

As if anyone needed another reason to avoid drinking soda :)

gertvegan
Aug 15th, 2004, 12:43 PM
I also saw an article recently about soda consumption and a throat cancer, can't find the article though.

Gorilla
Aug 16th, 2004, 08:44 AM
the fish ingredient isn't mentioned in the ingredients list, which is why most people never knew about it until now. They just list it as 'stabiliser' i think. :(

l337_v3g4n_1
Aug 20th, 2004, 12:09 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: This is getting me SO pissed off. I'm going to BURN down the coa cola factory in Iceland! BURN BABY BURN!!!!

sorry. I really am sorry for that fit of rage.

Anyway, are the rumours true? Did coka cola put Cocain In their Coke once upon a time? Probably not, but just curious, couse the name certainly suggests it :D

Gorilla
Aug 20th, 2004, 10:22 AM
yes it is true, Coca-Cola used to put cocaine in the drink, until it was banned and they replaced it with caffeine to still give an addictive high (although not as strong obviously).

have a look at this link: www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp

l337_v3g4n_1
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:07 PM
That proves it. They are evil.

Kiva Dancer
Aug 20th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Yet another reason to avoid soft drinks.

Pembroke: I think the word you're looking for is "isinglass" and iirr, they don't have to list it as part of the ingredients because it's not an actual ingredient - it's only part of the process that enables the manufacturer to obtain the final product. *realises this makes no sense whatever*

gertvegan
Aug 27th, 2004, 06:13 PM
On the subject of fizzy drinks, this is an article from The Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation (http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/) , sister group of Viva! uk.

Get Fizzy - Get Cancer

There are real concerns that fizzy dnnks may contribute to the growing number of deaths from oesophageal (gullet) cancer. Over 7000 people in the UK are killed each year from cancer of the tube that links the stomach to the throat - a figure that has doubled since the 1970s, making this the fifth biggest cancer killer. Over this same period the annual consumption of fizzy drinks has increased from 10 to 24 gallons of the stuff per person.
Researchers found that countries with the lowest consumption of fizzy drinks, such as those in the Far East, had little increase in oesophageal cancer compared to countries where consumption had risen. A possible explanation is that when fizzy drinks are consumed, the stomach is distended by as much as half a litre and das results in gastric reflux - stomach contents, including acid, splashing back up into die oesophagus damaging its lining. Heartburn has a similar effect.
The phosphorus found in fizzy drinks is already a known risk factor for osteoporosis (brittle bones) and now we see it is implicated as a possible cause of gullet cancer. Get all the fluid you need from pood old fashioned plain water, diluted rruit puces and plenty of water-packed fruits and veg. :eek:

oldskoolstevo
Sep 1st, 2004, 03:33 PM
i think they use isinglass, which is the same ingredient used in a lot of beers. most of the coca-cola brand drinks mentioned there use beta-carotene anyway as a colouring, which isn't vegan friendly either way. i don't think isinglass needs to be show as an ingredient, because they only use during the making of the drink, and filter it out before bottling, so it's not actually in the drink when you buy it. dodgy eh?

oldskoolstevo
Sep 1st, 2004, 03:36 PM
apologies there btw! only noticed the earlier post about isinglass when checking my own!hehe :)

indianvegan
Sep 1st, 2004, 04:58 PM
What about white sugar in Coca cola? How can you confirm if Coca cola is using Vegan sugar in its products.

I don't drink any soft drink/ hard drink..only home made Lemon juice with water. Juice of unriped Mango....mmmmm. Young coconut water. Fruits and Vegetables juices.

Manish Jain

oldskoolstevo
Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:56 PM
i've actually been in contact with coca cola myself and confirmed that they don't use animal refined sugar in their drinks. i only drink diet coke anyway for health reasons, and as there's no sugar in that, it should be ok!

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM
"i only drink diet coke anyway for health reasons"

*shudder* Oh, please do read the thread on "artificial sweeteners" and look at this:

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm

and this:

http://www.health-n-energy.com/ARTICLES/9artsweet.htm

oldskoolstevo
Sep 2nd, 2004, 02:11 PM
lol, i am aware of this! i don't drink gallons of it, maybe a small amount a week if i feel like it! by 'health reasons' i mean that it's better than drinking 12 tablespoons of sugar, so i should probably say 'weight reasons' rather than 'health reasons' i suppose!

Gorilla
Oct 31st, 2004, 10:00 PM
i realise this thread hasn't been going for a while, but don't think i'd seen the last few posts and had to say, beta-carotene can be vegan - it's not always carried in gelatine. not sure it's healthy to consume all these food colourings anyway though :confused:

as far as sweeteners go, i believe they are probably unhealthy, and have recently found out that many (if not all) of them have been tested on animals at some stage in their development, so i would probably try to avoid them for this reason also. :mad:

MzNatural
Oct 31st, 2004, 10:22 PM
I stay away from soft drinks they are unhealthy. I mainly drink water. I do make vegetable & fruit juice with my juicer.

eve
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:10 AM
Indian farmers have come up with what they think is the real thing to keep crops free of bugs. Instead of paying hefty fees to international chemical companies for patented pesticides, they are reportedly spraying their cotton and chilli fields with Coca-Cola.

As word gets out that soft drinks may be bad for bugs and a lot cheaper than anything that Monsanto, Shell and Dow can offer, thousands of others are expected to switch. Gotu Laxmaiah, a farmer in Andra Pradesh, said he was delighted with his new cola spray, which he applied this year to several hectares of cotton. "I observed that the pests began to die after the soft drink was sprayed on my cotton," he told the Deccan Herald newspaper.

Coca-Cola has had a bad year in India.

Other farmers in Andra Pradesh state accused the company of over-extracting underground water for its bottling plants and a government committee upheld findings that drinks made in India by itself and PepsiCo contained unacceptable amounts of pesticide residue.

Xenakicksass
Apr 20th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Can anyone give me a link to a site that explain's Coke's "dubious" ethical policies?

Thanks

Xena :)

1vegan
Apr 20th, 2005, 08:20 PM
For those of you who don't already know, i have only just found out thanks to Viva! that Coca-Cola have been using fish as a stabiliser in the following drinks: Fanta orange (and light), Lilt pineapple & grapefruit (and light), Alive Orange Cascade, Kia-ora Orange & Pineapple (and no added sugar).

i'm avoiding anything made my Coca-Cola if possible anyway because of their dubious ethics, and now this. grrrr

Do you have a link for that ?

I did know some soft drinks used fish ingredients to mix in the added vitamins or something simular.

gertvegan
Apr 20th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Can anyone give me a link to a site that explain's Coke's "dubious" ethical policies?
HERES (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1666&highlight=coke) a Coke thread Xenakicksass. ;)

1vegan
Apr 20th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Thanks

Xena :)

http://corpwatch.org/article.php?id=10581

?