PDA

View Full Version : oat milk

Blix
Feb 24th, 2006, 03:46 PM
:confused: Hello everyone,
I made some oat milk the other day using oat groats. I didn't have a recipe so I followed the instructions for soya milk. It turned out gloopy, like a thin gruel which slowly got thicker. Any tips anyone? I don't know what I done wrong.

Artichoke47
Feb 24th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Maybe you should use the oats instead of groats? I don't know...

FR
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Now I am craving an oat milk smoothie.

Pilaf
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Oat Groats float my boat :D

Blix
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Well, I've used the gloopiest gruel instead of rice milk in a fruit cake and the less gloopiest in a smoothy. Thanks for your replies. I had bought some oat milk from Asda and it was a LOT thinner. If anyone has a recipe, I'd be happy to learn. I'm still vegetarian, but almost vegan. Hence, my trying to learn to make alternatives. Flaxseed, ground up and soaked in a little water really does substitute eggs. I made some burgers (using the pulp left over from carrot, apple and sweet potato juice) plus onions paprika a small amount of curry powder and ground up walnuts, I used the flax seed for binding and it was perfect!:p I am searching for where to buy the nutritional yeast and when I can find some, I will learn to make my own cheese. All I need to do after that is move house so I can have a garden to grow my own fruit veg and barley grass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

harpy
Feb 27th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Good luck with all your endeavours. You should be able to get nutritional yeast in larger health food shops - Fresh & Wild usually has it if you are anywhere near one of them. Or you can order it via the Internet e.g. from these people: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/579698.html

Blix
Feb 28th, 2006, 09:12 AM
:) Thank you harpy,
I will look into goodness direct. I have a lot of raw cheese recipes from Alissa Cohens book. Her recipes are great. Take care everyone and God bless you all