PDA

View Full Version : Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian... (yeast extracts)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

maggielassie
Oct 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks, Emzy. :) I will now consider Natex, Meridian or supermarkets' brands as an alternative. I guess we all need to learn at some point...

emzy1985
Oct 10th, 2010, 05:38 PM
No problem! :bigsmile:

Ms_Derious
Oct 10th, 2010, 06:26 PM
OMG, Marmite seems vegan. But it's owned by Unilever. Oh, no. :(

What are the alternative yeast extracts in the UK?

Personally, I use a super market own brand for that exact reason. It took a while to get used to, but whenever I visit relatives and am fed real Marmite I can't stay I'm staggeringly impressed. It's just different, no better, no worse.

I also sometimes use veecon (the stock paste!) on toast, but it's very salty.

Tigerlily
Oct 11th, 2010, 03:25 PM
What's a vegan to do when Marmite is the only brand available in her part of the world? :(

emzy1985
Oct 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM
What's a vegan to do when Marmite is the only brand available in her part of the world? :(

Ask your friends in the UK to send you some! (You can ask this UK friend if you like! ;))

MrWizzle
Oct 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Every couple of years I try Marmite (it won't be the Unilever stuff next time) with a naïve feeling of hope, and every time the experience is the same: a relentless descent into brown pungent yeasty horror, followed by crying and shame with a vow never to indulge again. I want to like it but I can't because it's foul and akin to licking a dog's bum*.

*I imagine.

leedsveg
Oct 13th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Every couple of years I try Marmite (it won't be the Unilever stuff next time) with a naïve feeling of hope, and every time the experience is the same: a relentless descent into brown pungent yeasty horror, followed by crying and shame with a vow never to indulge again. I want to like it but I can't because it's foul and akin to licking a dog's bum*.

*I imagine.

Well if they ever stop making Marmite-like spreads, and we want to refresh our memory of the taste, we'll know what to try....! :eek: (No doubt, Korn will advise us on the B12 content! :D)

lv

Tigerlily
Oct 14th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Ask your friends in the UK to send you some! (You can ask this UK friend if you like! ;))

:heart: Teehehehe, I was secretly hoping someone would say that. I'll message you on Facebook whenever I need a new jar. :) :D Thanks!

emmapresley
Oct 14th, 2010, 09:00 PM
i just watched nigella gobble her way through some spaghetti with marmite on the tellybox.

vast wodge of spaghetti
humongously obscene dollop of butter
crazy amount of marmite
pasta water

they all proper stuffed it in
i'm so confused

Tigerlily
Oct 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Nigella kind of grosses me out. :o At the least food she cooks.

Marmite on pasta seems interesting, though.

verdeleaf
Feb 28th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted - as far as I was aware, marmite is vegan, but they are with a company that is unethical? Is this correct? I usually go for the store's own brand of yeast extract, but was given some marmite a few weeks ago, so would rather it didn't go to waste.

Also, I wanted to try to Meridian yeast extract, but for around £3.99 that's quite expensive for me to pay for it with the risk of it turning out to be something I don't like!! Anyone tried it or have any opinions about it?

Sorry again if this has already been posted somewhere.

Ms_Derious
Feb 28th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I buy store own brand versions, they don't taste quite the same, but are very nice. Sainsburys do a low sodium one.

I'd eat the Marmite. Unileaver aren't going to be harmed by you bunging it in the bin.

Owei
Jun 29th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I have the same problem - do any of the others taste at least similar to Marmite?

harpy
Jun 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I don't think any of the others I've tried tasted that similar. I seem to remember someone saying one of the own-brand ones was quite like Marmite but I can't remember which (would it have been Tesco?).

I usually get the reduced-salt Natex one. I remember thinking it tasted very strange at first but I soon acclimatised.

Risker
Jun 29th, 2012, 02:43 PM
We just get own brand because it's cheaper. I'd have no problem with marmite though. Natex is really nice but not the evil low-salt one.

Mymblesdaughter
Jun 29th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Oh no, I had no idea marmite was made by unilever. I'm going to have to look around and find something similar. My Mum gets some from tescos which I think tastes the same, I try not to use tescos if I can help it, they aren't exactly ethical either. So annoying!

Blueberries
Jun 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I seem to remember someone saying one of the own-brand ones was quite like Marmite but I can't remember which (would it have been Tesco?)

The Tesco own-brand yeast extract does taste very similar to Marmite :D

Lilystein
Jun 30th, 2012, 05:04 PM
The Tesco own-brand yeast extract does taste very similar to Marmite :D

I bought some this week and I LOVE it. I don't know how I've lived my whole life without trying yeast extract.

Lainey
Aug 26th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hey I have been vegan for 6 months and have only just found out that marmite is apparently a great source of B12 for vegans.
I didn't even know it was vegan lol.

Does anyone else use marmite as a way of getting B12 into your diet?

Lainey xx

Risker
Aug 26th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't say it's a great source considering the quantity of B12 in comparison to the amount you use but it all adds up I suppose. I've got to cut down my B12, the doctor told me off for having too much :(

Korn
Aug 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM
According to this (http://www.toronto.ca/health/nutrition/pdf/good_sources_vitaminb.pdf) site, cheddar cheese, pork ("lean shoulder, broiled") and buttermilk are all excellent sources of B12, and contain 0.5 mcg or more B12 per serving. Roasted duck, mozzarella cheese, and roasted ham contain 0.3-0.5 mcg per serving, and are listed as good sources of B12. Roasted chicken and evaporated milk contain 0.2-0.3 mcg per serving. Do you know how much B12 does your Marmite contain per serving?

ETA - I may have found the answer here: http://www.marmite.com/love/nutrition/nutrition.html : 100g Marmite contains 15 mcg B12, and one 'adult serving' (4 mcg) contains 0.6 mcg. IIRR, Risker takes 100 mcg/day, which equals eg. 200 servings of cheddar cheese, or 250 servings of roasted duck, or 400 servings of roasted chicken - so please do yourself a favour and don't use him as a reference for how much B12 you need. :-D

But - AFAIK, Marmite doesn't contain B12 naturally, it is added to the product, so for B12, you might just as well just use - or combine Marmite - with a supplement.

Risker
Aug 26th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Oi Korn :P

Actually I was taking 500mcg a day (whoops!). I just think that if you're aiming for 6mcg of 'natural' B12 then the 0.6mcg per serving of added B12 isn't all that much, unless you really really like it and eat loads, but then you'd probably be eating loads of toast too and that can't be good. Like I say though, it all adds up, what with B12 being added to plant milks and margarines etc.

EDIT: Also, I think 4g may be quite a hefty serving if we're talking on toast.

Korn
Aug 26th, 2012, 04:52 PM
It's commonly thought that we ned to absorb (as opposed to consume) 1.5 mcg B12/day, and we need to eat more than 1.5 mcg in order to absorb that amount. This is a quite high number given that the minimum requirement has been thought to be 0.2-0.25 micrograms per day when absorbed from food, but I assume that this is because we need absorb more than we need exist in order to balance out the effect of common B12 antagonists like eg sugar.

Dr. Herbert said in 1987 that what we need to "sustain normality" is probably within the range of ~0.1 mcg, but still recommended us to consume 10 times that - in other words: 1 mcg/day. B12 is most efficiently in small amounts, so if one should consume, say, 1 mcg/day, the absorption of that microgram is much more efficient if we eat a little B12 (e.g.. 0.33 mcg) at three different meals than if we consume all in one portion.

But I haven't seen all the details why the recommendation has been increased to 2.4 or2.5 mcg/day in many countries. I believe the reason some people want to set it as high as 6 mcg/day, is that 6 mcg/day is to be considered enough even if all the 6 micrograms are eaten in one portion - even for postmenstrual women, according to a report. People over 50 need more B12 than those under 50.

This topic, btw, has been discussed many times, e.g. in this (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?28242-Does-anyone-need-1000-mcg-B12-day-from-supplements), this (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?28156-What-s-the-recommended-daily-intake-of-B12-in-your-country) and this (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?7688-Was-Victor-Herbert-a-reliable-B12-information-source) thread.

There are nobody out there who has suggested that we all should take as much as 100 mcg/day, so Risker's 500 mcg day is off all reliable recommendatins (just like his views on organic and raw food!!! :-). Even if Risker actually is a postmenstrual women (her high intake of B12 could possibly explain her beard), 500mcg day is way too much, and would equal 2000 servings of roasted chicken. I have nothing against postmenstrual women, but I surely wouldn't fancy dating a woman, post-menstrual or not, eating that much chicken even if I wasn't a vegan. .-]

The highest minimum recommendation I've seen from one person - who,for the records, disagrees with 'the rest of the world' is 25 mcg/day. The Vegan Society also has high recommendations: Either 3 mcg spread over at least two meals a day, one supplement containing 10 mcg/day, or one weekly supplement of 2000 mcg.

More here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_Daily_Intake) and here (http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1080271597&type=RESOURCES.), and here's a interesting article from vegetarian.org.uk:
B12 and the Vegan Diet
All You Need To Know About Vitamin B12 in Vegetarian and Vegan Diets
By Dr Justine Butler (http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/factsheets/b12factsheet.html)

Risker
Aug 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM
There are nobody out there who has suggested that we all should take as much as 100 mcg/day, so Risker's 500 mcg day is off all reliable recommendatins

I had good reasons for taking such a high dose, which I won't go in to. I certainly wasn't recommending anyone else do it.

(just like his views on organic and raw food!!! :-).

In YOUR opinion.

Korn
Aug 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Sure. :-)

I'm not critizing anything. I just want to make it clear that nobody really suggests that vegans or non-vegans with no particular special conditions generally need 500 or 100 mcg B12/day.