PDA

View Full Version : Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian... (yeast extracts)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

absentmindedfan
Jun 13th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I used to, but since it's made by Unilever I don't eat it. And I don't like any of the non-animal tested multinational corporate b*stard versions :(

aubergine
Jun 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM
When I was little my Mum made us "marmite dominos". White bread marmite sandwich, cut into little domino shapes with splodges of marmite for the dots :D

Surely it should be thickly spread marmite with spaces for the dots? :D

Frosty
Jun 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I loooove it. I have one jar in my cupboard at work, and one in my cupbard at home for when the cravings are needed.

Quite liking the sound of that Vegcurry, might have to give it a whirl sometime :)

rxkitten
Jun 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I loooove it. I have one jar in my cupboard at work, and one in my cupbard at home for when the cravings are needed.

Me too :D

Hemlock
Jun 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Nope, I tried the Natrex and it's not like marmite at all - absolutely vile:mad:

Chanterelle
Jun 28th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Mmmmmmm vegemite... I have a friend with family in Sydney who brings me a big jar every year!

cobweb
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I love all of them, mostly use the supermarket own brand yeast extracts (*suspects that they are really marmite though :rolleyes: *)
Dog loves marmite sarnies, too :)

Monday
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
I've just bought the Natex and think it is absolutely foul. I can't face trying it again and now have a jar of it sat in my cupboard!!

Monday x

Pob
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:42 AM
It is very strong and definitely an acquired taste. I mostly use it in cooking.

It makes lovely gravy or stock, so you could use it up that way.

I stir half a teaspoon into half a pint of Applefords reduced salt gravy as I'm cooking it. It makes it much richer and meatier. (I also add in sage, marjoram, onions or onion powder, basil, parsley, and a dash of vegetable oil). That makes the best vegan gravy ever!

I use it in making cheeze sauce, too.

Guacamole Gal
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM
It is very strong and definitely an acquired taste. I mostly use it in cooking.

It makes lovely gravy or stock, so you could use it up that way.

I stir half a teaspoon into half a pint of Applefords reduced salt gravy as I'm cooking it. It makes it much richer and meatier. (I also add in sage, marjoram, onions or onion powder, basil, parsley, and a dash of vegetable oil). That makes the best vegan gravy ever!

I use it in making cheeze sauce, too.

Ooh, Pob, YUM! If you should open a restaurant please make sure I'm first to know!! Making me hungry at this hour?!:p

RachelJune
Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
I friend of mine proudly presented me with some Natex when I went over to visit one day. She was so pleased that she could offer me something to eat, I didn't have the heart to tell her I couldn't stand the stuff! :o Anyway, several visits later and I actually acquired a taste for it. It's definately not marmite, but I guess it's healthy, lower in salt and more vegan friendly :)

coy division
Aug 7th, 2007, 05:41 AM
What exactly does marmite taste like? I'm curious and plan on buying some soon, but is it like British miso or what? I imagine it to be similar to miso, so I was wondering what everyone else here had to say ab the taste of marmite as compared to that of miso's.

Pob
Aug 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Twiglets are marmite flavoured (but not vegan). So if you've ever had them....

It's quite meaty and salty, and leaves a taste like very ripe cheese in your mouth. That's the best way I can describe it.

coy division
Aug 7th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Mmm well in that case it sounds perfect for sandwiches, although I am a little concerned about the MSG issue.

The_Lincoln_Imp
Aug 7th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Meridian recalls Marmite taste wise, minus the Unilever connections of course. However both are very high in salt so Natex "salt reduced" tastes entirely different and isn't as moreish.

Pob
Aug 7th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Aren't miso and soy sauce full of msg, too? I think in most things like that the proteins are split into the sodium salts of the constituent amino acids.

You only use a tiny amount of yeast extract at a time, so I wouldn't think it was a huge issue. Tomatoes are natural sources of free glutamate, and although much lower in concentration, the serving size is much larger.

coy division
Aug 9th, 2007, 05:19 AM
They are (miso and soy sauce) but I avoid them, mostly because of the high sodium content. But I did purchase my first jar of marmite at the Whole Foods where I work and I liked the taste alot ... mmmm dots on toast. But I'll probably eat it very sparingly now and then, yummy as it is.

bugaboo
Aug 9th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Hmm...i don't know, I've never tried it but it looks and sounds horrible. Black jelly on toast? I should try it but it seems like a definite acquired taste.

Holly78
Aug 9th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I used to love Marmite but stopped buying it when I found out it was made by Unilever, as already pointed out. I now eat Vegemite which is made by Kraft - does anyone know if that is ok? I really like it. I have tried Natex but I found it absolutely disgusting and couldn't get used to the taste.

Pob
Aug 9th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Kraft are dodgy too. Very big on GMO.

Get the Meridian one. It's available from health food shops and is much closer to Marmite and Vegemite. The Natex one is best for using in cooking for making a rich gravy.

Meridian make a lot of vegan foods (mostly labelled), and are a much better to company to support in my opinion.

Holly78
Aug 9th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks - I will look out for it in Holland & Barrett.

philfox
Aug 13th, 2007, 03:07 PM
i've not seen the meridian one. i love marmite and vegemite but refuse to buy them due to their makers. however my jar of natex is sitting in the cupboard only coming out for stews and casseroles, as, as others have said, it is foul :)

Holly78
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Does anyone know if I will be able to get Meridian yeast extract at the Vegan Festival?

twinkle
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Probably not at the festival itself, but if you're out and about in London there are a million healthfoody shops that will sell it :)

Hemlock
Aug 17th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Me and Corum were torn because marmite is our only source of vit B12 as we don't eat/drink fortified foods but marmite is *spit, cough* Unilever.
Problem solved - we went to Morrisons this evening and bought their own brand yeast extract - it is a tad more yeasty than marmite but quite yummy and vegan - hurray! :):cool:
I'm sure it must be new because I've never seen it before and it's quite cheap too.
We tried natex - even the cat wouldn't touch it and Smoky will eat anything!!!