PDA

View Full Version : Marmite, Vegemite, Natex, Meridian... (yeast extracts)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

gertvegan
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Ok so this may be a uk thing, but do you love MARMITE (http://www.marmite.com/) as the saying goes "marmite my mate" or do you hate it ?

veganesquire
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:42 PM
I have a pretty open mind about new foods, so I didn't think twice before I tried marmite. My Australian friends told me it was the equivalent to peanut butter in the U.S., so I figured I would love it! But no, I do not! :eek:

I think they compared it to peanut butter because they use it on sandwiches like we do in the US with peanut butter, but that is where the comparison ends. It is way to salty for me to eat in a sandwich.

I do however, love to cook with marmite. I made some fantastic "meat" pies with TVP chunks which were cooked in marmite broth. It gave the pies a nice flavor.

gertvegan
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Marmite probably is consumed as much as peanut butter in in the US. The marmite over here is made by bestfoods so I'm not sure if thats what you tried vegansquiire. Isn't marmite in Australia made by sanitarium, thats different again and not to my taste. Mmmmm marmite.

moomin
Aug 13th, 2004, 06:49 PM
I loooooooove marmite, it has to be in my opinion 1 of the best inventions EVER! I must eat it almost everyday, and i get cravings for it.

Mystic
Aug 14th, 2004, 06:33 AM
For me it is vegemite all the way

Geoff
Aug 14th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Aussie Marmite is different from the UK one and an acquired taste. I choose it over Vegemite as it's made by Sanitarium, a vegetarian company whereas Vegemite is made by multinational, Kraft. There's also a product called 'Our Mate' which tastes vile!

TofuMuncher
Aug 14th, 2004, 04:21 PM
I got turned on to marmite years ago on a trip to London. I've been eating it ever since. It is a vegan's good friend :)

cedarblue
Aug 14th, 2004, 07:08 PM
love it :p

SilverBird
Aug 15th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Mmmmmm, Marmite :)

Newbies to Marmite tend to spread too much onto their bread, toast, etc. and are put off for ages, if not for ever. The secret is to spread it thinly.

Favourite Marmite fix? Marmite and potato crisps sandwich.

Afterthought: I tend to use the word "Marmite" as a generic word for yeast extract, much as people refer to vacuuming the carpets as "hoovering" regardless of the make of their vacuum cleaner. These days I buy a different brand as Marmite is, to the best of my knowledge, a Unilever brand and I don't knowingly buy any of their products.

Panda
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Our Mate is the same as english marmite just the aussie version it is the same company. It sells out within a day of being on the shelf at the main health food store. Lots of english people by it buy the truckload. haha its so expensive to but quite nice. I use the santarium marmite though because it is half the price for double the quantity. if only vegemite had B12 humph.

cowpie
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:10 AM
I use Marmite in cooking....It gives stews and soups a rich flavor. I don't spread it on bread, though. It's too salty for me....

Left of Centre
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Afterthought: I tend to use the word "Marmite" as a generic word for yeast extract, much as people refer to vacuuming the carpets as "hoovering" regardless of the make of their vacuum cleaner. These days I buy a different brand as Marmite is, to the best of my knowledge, a Unilever brand and I don't knowingly buy any of their products.

Yep, me to, so I buy Tesco own brand. I love the stuff and eat it every day. Gorgeous with vegan cheese spread on toast, mmmmmmmm. :p

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:43 PM
Ok so this may be a uk thing, but do you love marmite as the saying goes "marmite my mate" or do you hate it ?

gert, have you been talking to cedarblue?? :D
I LOVE Yeast Extract, but will not buy 'Marmite' for the above reason!! :(

Kevster
Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:22 PM
I was going to ask them to label it vegan but then saw it was best foods (i think) and then unilever, lots of the big companies use smaller ones that people may not associate with,

K

As a little aside Corona beer (Mexican) sponsor bull fights, which i just found out the other day, don't drink the stuff myself, prefer a little organic sam smiths for the more sophisticated palette. ;)

Geoff
Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:48 PM
Marmite in Australia is made by Sanitarium, a Seventh Day Adventist company who also make a lot of vegetarian foods. I'll call them to see if they export to 3rd world countries like the UK ;)
Vegemite is now owned by Kraft so I won't buy it but there are plans by Dick Smith to buy it back. Go Dick! :)

tails4wagging
Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:10 PM
My vegan friend jenny spreads marmite thickly like jam on her toast!!!. I like it on warm toast.

eve
Nov 4th, 2004, 05:14 AM
MARMITE IS MADE BY UNILEVER WHO DO ANIMAL TESTING :eek:
No, at least not in Australia; here it is made by Sanitarium, which is a 7th Day Adventist company.

eve
Nov 4th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Oops, I see that Geoff already answered that one. BTW, I love Marmite. :)

Geoff
Nov 4th, 2004, 05:38 AM
No, at least not in Australia; here it is made by Sanitarium, which is a 7th Day Adventist company.
A senior moment Eve? (See post No. 18) :)

snaffler
Mar 17th, 2005, 12:01 PM
WOW eve I never knew P.Morris owned Veggie Mite, not a fan of it myself, I like Marmite and one another note I know the main Marmite Yeast source comes from up the road from here from a large brewary and my mates a lab tech their and he said its all good clean stuff.

tails4wagging
Mar 18th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Snaff, nice to hear Marmite is ok. I love the stuff, nothing else is the same!!.Trouble is it belongs to Unilever and thats another story!!!!!!.

Love
Mar 18th, 2005, 09:05 AM
;) Exactly! ;) As I have said earlier on this post Marmite IS linked to animal testing so we buy Meridian Foods brand yeast extract or Natex brand yeast extract fom Holland and Barrett or any veggie/vegan grocery store.
With love from Love.XXX.

Kevster
Mar 18th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Actually, community food Yeast extract is pretty good, that's the one i get, and Meridian is good too. But that's just my taste.

snaffler
Mar 18th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Snaffler,Marmite is linked to animal testing :eek:
There are many ethical alterantives to that brand available at places like Holland and Barrett ;)
With love from Love.XXX.

Please tell me more about Marmite and animal testing I am curious and unaware of this

thanks

:) snaff

Aurora
Mar 18th, 2005, 09:47 AM
And me Snaff. I love the stuff, but I might just have to get used to the Meridian Yeast extract if what Love says is true :( .

Oh, sorry to sound thick, but who is this P. Morris guy?