PDA

View Full Version : My produce smells bad!

Wildflower
Feb 25th, 2006, 06:12 AM
:eek:

I bought some avacados and ginger from an asian market last week...and they SMELL AWFUL!

When I went in the place, it was very, very damp and musty smelling and it carried with the produce. :(

I was leery of the fresh produce (greens/spices) but i thought something with a rind would be ok.

So, dare I eat them? Does that mean they are spoiled because they smell like dampy musty store? :confused:

tipsy
Feb 25th, 2006, 06:58 AM
im not sure about this one, wildflower.:confused:

but i dont think i would eat it. smells are the best indicator of taste... musty is not a good smell!:eek:

i would go back there and talk to the owners. or maybe just avoid the place alltogether...:eek:

Tigerlily
Feb 25th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Well, sometimes my veggies have a weird smell too. I think I know the smell you are talking about. It happens a lot whenever I buy greens. I rinse them off very good, and I let them sit in a strainer, and let them dry from the moisture. Sometimes that works for my greens.

Wildflower
Feb 26th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys. :)

Tigerlily, I think I know the smell you mean with greens, and this wasn't it. When I buy greens they always smell like dirt (literally). A rich soil smell. This smells like a damp musty basement. :eek: And the store smelled like a kennel. :confused:

I guess I just feel silly since there were lots of people shopping there, they are obviously going to be eating the food there.

JJ - Have you been to this place? It is at 39th and North Avenue. It was a very big place and I was excited to find out about it. The check out girl at Beans and Barley told me about it and said she shops there a lot. If you ever go there, beware, they had lots of live sea"food" (beautiful blue shelled crabs and some other things). it always makes me sad to see live sea animals in stores. On the evil side, it looked like anyone who ate the sea creatures there would die of food poisoning. ;)

Oh well, maybe they were having issues that day. I guess I should have stuck to the aisles and aisles of jarred stuff, but I didn't know what anything was or what was in it.

tipsy
Feb 26th, 2006, 03:10 PM
yeah, ive been there wildflower....

someone did recommend it to me also...:(

i was kind of creeped out and didnt really find anything that i needed or wanted, so i never went there again.

plus i dont really like driving all the way out there.

i make my monthly trip to vegan essentials, and other than that, i live in my little 3 square mile bubble...:D (prettymuch)

Wildflower
Feb 26th, 2006, 03:20 PM
OK, thanks. I guess I will just chuck my ginger and 2 avocados. I bought new avocados from the public market and new ginger from Outpost already anyway.

:)

tipsy
Feb 26th, 2006, 03:22 PM
do you go to the bayview outpost?

maybe we could meet for a juice or lunch sometime!:D

Wildflower
Feb 26th, 2006, 03:25 PM
No, I haven't been to that location. I go to the Capitol Drive one.

Is that outside your 3 square mile footprint? :p

tipsy
Feb 26th, 2006, 03:31 PM
no, thats definatly inside it!

i live right on humboldt.

i just thought you'd go to that one, since its closer to you.:D

but you work here on the east side right?

Wildflower
Feb 26th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I work off of cherry and water, by the river. In the old Schlitz Brewery, it is office buildings now. I live on the northside though, by Mequon, so I drive north by capitol on my way home. I used to work right behind the capitol Outpost (in the building next to the heart hospital) and it was very dangerous being so close! :D

Yeah, we should definately meet for coffee or something some time.

I have never met a real life vegan...that i knew of anyway, I am sure lots of people at the stores i go to must be vegan. :confused: Oh, and my sister used to be vegan, but she's not anymore.