PDA

View Full Version : rowing machine

ladyaprille
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:08 PM
i have bought a rowing machine- in order to use it toits maximum effect for weight loss how should i use it? lots of hard strength rowing, or lots of light rowing, or little of each? i have an athletic build when im slim and can gain muscle easily.. please help:) i have quite a bit of lard to lose b4 summer :D:o

Kiran
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Hard strength rowing will help you gain muscles. If you want to shape your existing muscles or lose weight, row on medium tension and maximum number of reps. :) That would really help. Also slowly increase the tension to some limit, whilst trying to do maximum reps in each set. But don't take it to real hard strength though.

Ladyaprille, there are quite a few threads on weight-loss and workouts. It would would have been more appropriate to post it there. ;) :)

One of the moderators will merge this with an existing thread, eventually.;)

ladyaprille
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:29 PM
oops sorry everyone :( sorry moderators :(

Kevster
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I once attended a rowing fitness class, and that was proper hard work, we'd do different tensions and then stuff like hard rowing for 500m then light then hard, then light, it was actually quite interesting, rather than doing a fixed distance at a more or less fixed pace, which is what i tend to do.

Watch your technique though and get it right. Often people row a machine like they would a boat...

Span
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:38 PM
You can try interval training, I used to do it at the gym under the instruction of my brother (who is a gym instructor), its a killer:D

Do a minute at normal pace but clock your speed/distance if you have that facility.
Then do a minute as fast as you can, with all your strength. (clock it again)
Then do another slow minute but make sure you are back at your original clocked speed, thats why you do it, because it's easy to go to fast.

Keep doing 1 min slow, 1 min fast, 1 min slow etc. For 7 or 9 or 11 minutes, depending on your fitness level.

If you find that too easy, do it in m (again if you have that facility) do 200m slow, 500 fast etc.

I'm guessing you are used to using the equipment-straight back, knees slightly bent, elbows in, hands into stomach/chest.

Hope this helps..... good luck.:) (sad really, I'm sitting here giving this advice, while shoving chocolate into my gob:rolleyes: )

ladyaprille
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:40 PM
it has helped thankyou- but mines a hydrolauic rower or soemthing.. where the hands are at the side holding on to bar type things.. will this make a bad difference in fitness outcome?

Kiran
Feb 26th, 2006, 08:13 PM
where the hands are at the side holding on to bar type things..

Sorry, what type of rowing thingie is this? How can you row when you are holding bars at the sides.. I can't imagine how the machine is set-up.:(

ladyaprille
Feb 26th, 2006, 08:21 PM
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3022195.htm

hope this helps..?

Kiran
Feb 26th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Great!!! Thanks for the link. I think it is perfect. You will have two interleaved motions.

1) with the lats going forward and
2) your abdominal crunching movement.

It provides an overall workout. You might consider increasing the tension because you will get extra support from your shoulders, and you need to compensate for that. There could be some restriction on how far you can stretch yourself so the abs get a good workout. You will get the hang of it, after a few days. Then you will be an expert in customising your workouts. :) The machine looks good, and I am hopeful it will cater to your weight loss requirements.

tabitha
Feb 26th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Can you combine the rowing with some running? That way you will get nice upper arms from the rowing plus some cardio and shift some of the "lard" (which Im sure you dont have) from the running.

ladyaprille
Feb 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM
yer i could do some running(even tho i hate it) heehee but i also have a big trampoline in my back garden.. is this good for exercises?it gets me out of breath buti dont know if it burns calories and sculpts effectively?
thanks for the help:) its really helping me get exercise minded :)

tabitha
Feb 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM
If it gets you out of breath its good cardio. Do you want to sculp your arms etc., try press up for upper body strength - proper press ups, not box ones. That and the rowing will be good. Tricep dips also good. Running, rowing, power walking. Running on the beach. Stomach crunches - not sit ups - bad for back.

tabitha
Feb 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Sorry, saw the avatar and thought you might be near a beach LOL

cvC
Feb 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Rebounders are mini trampolines and I've yet to have a go on one myself, but did a search and found this:

"Rebounding is an excellent way to burn calories and lose surplus weight and has been famously quoted by NASA to be 'the most efficient and effective exercise yet devised by man'."

http://www.ukjuicers.co.uk/templates/productlist.asp?catid=15

ladyaprille
Feb 27th, 2006, 01:18 PM
this is good news too bcos i also have a rebounder.. but i dont mean to sound silly but what do i do on it? do i jump? jog? mixture? what exercise on it is the most effective:) xxx

tabitha
Feb 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Ive never tried one myself, but try a mixture of both. You will be able to feel what muscles you are working as you do it. I should think if you jog you will get your calves, glutes and quads. If you bounce quads and glutes? Get bouncing girl:D

puffin
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Tricep dips also good.
Yeh they are but they hurt like hell :D I do them in circuit training and they kill after a minute :rolleyes:

Kiran
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Yeh they are but they hurt like hell :D I do them in circuit training and they kill after a minute :rolleyes:

Are you telling me you have a set of big triceps, Miss Schwarzenegger?

puffin
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Are you telling me you have a set of big triceps, Miss Schwarzenegger?
Well i try, cant say i am up to your standard yet :D

ladyaprille
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM
i used to have a really toned body, strim line legs, biceps to die for(for a woman:P) erm, a gorgeous stomach. . grrr i hate winter :( xxx

puffin
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:52 PM
i used to have a really toned body, strim line legs, biceps to die for(for a woman:P) erm, a gorgeous stomach. . grrr i hate winter :( xxx
I have never had a body to die for :) Anyway why is winter to blame for your body not being in shape?

ladyaprille
Feb 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM
well, i have s.a.d- i sleep through the day, wake up at night, restless sleep, on sunny days (rare this time) i get hyper, do everything all at once and get tired again and the viscious cycle starts- but it makes u crave carbs and sugar, so i sleep, wake up eat far too much carbs and sugary stuff(its quite uncontrollable).. this is also a vsicous cycle bcos i have pcos, and i get shaky and gittery with so much sugar in me bcos the insulin resistance.. and then i get a huge slump again- which makes me need a pick up to get through another couple of hours. thus is why i have gained three stone since xmas. (MAN I SOUND LIKE A FLIPPING HOPELESS CASE). hmph:( i just want to be healthy again - this time last year i was in the same position-im seeking the kick up the ass that came last year but no luck yet:(- but as from tomorrow, i will row everyday, trampoline, toning etc.. and rest on sundays - i shall eat lots of greens and have fruit for breakfast. how does that sound? i need to lose it sensibly but as fast as possible because i am just so uncomfortable atm. i have one pair of trousers and 3 tops that i wear.. (im stubborn- i wont buy anything new until im bak to my healthy weight)-incentive to lose.
i have 40 days til my family visit. i hope to have lost nearly 2 stone by then. i suppose im asking for a bit of help now lol!
:o

thecatspajamas1
Feb 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I'm on a crew team so we practice on rowing machines- these are such a good workout! My muscles always feel it afterwards.
The kind of workout you want to do depends on what effect you want:
long time and moderate pace= fat burning
fast, hard, short time= cardio, working your heart
both are good for you, so it's good to switch around with different times and resistances. ie, do some endurance but also some sprints

thecatspajamas1
Feb 27th, 2006, 10:20 PM
http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/rower_alex_anim.html

Here's a page on proper rowing technique! :)

ladyaprille
Feb 28th, 2006, 06:37 PM
wow rowing is hard work. my legs go back b4 my arms do.. so at least its working them hard:) i manage about 10 minutes and then the last 5 is a real struggle. altho it is really hurting the end of my spine at the bottom.. the coccyx bone. its been bruised for a while but it is really aggrevating it. il try sitting on a cushion when i do it next time. once in morning, once in evening, with lots of jumping on my trampoline in the day time, jogging around my garden- as much as i can. owuh i wish i was fitter- mind things can only get better from now on :)