PDA

View Full Version : pancakes

Pages : 1 [2] 3

adam antichrist
May 27th, 2005, 07:47 PM
thanks. Why when I search for pancakes, does a thread on yorkshire pudding come up but not this one?????

feel free to wipe this thread korn

Korn
May 28th, 2005, 03:25 PM
thanks. Why when I search for pancakes, does a thread on yorkshire pudding come up but not this one?????

feel free to wipe this thread korn

Sometimes it seems to make a difference if you search for pancake or pancakes
Often, the best thing is to search in titles only
Sometimes computers just don't behave like we want them to...

adam antichrist
May 29th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I think I did the search in 'recipes' and not the whole food folder, in which case it would have come up. My fault after all...

PolluxStar
May 30th, 2005, 06:51 AM
everytime I tried 2 make pancakes , I fucked it up! :o

veganful
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:48 PM
Supposedly its taken MasterCook http://sbvdesigns.com/veg/recipes/blueberry.htm.

Blueberry Pancakes

Recipe By : Susan Voisin
Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfasts Fatfree

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/4 cups flour -- (combination of whole wheat pastry flour and unbleached white)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup soy milk
1/2 tablespoon egg replacer -- mixed with
2 tablespoons water
2/3 cup blueberries

In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add milk and egg replacer and stir just until flour is moistened. Set aside for 5 minutes until the skillet is heated and stir in blueberries right before pouring.

Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat; spray lightly with non-stick spray, if necessary. Pour batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto hot griddle, making a few pancakes at a time. Cook until tops are bubbly and bubbles burst; edges will look dry. With pancake turner, turn and cook until undersides are golden. Place on warm platter; keep warm.

Repeat until all batter is used, spraying with more non-stick coating, if necessary. Serve pancakes with syrup or other topping as desired.

Yield:
"11 pancakes"
they are to die for

Wildflower
Jul 2nd, 2005, 03:44 AM
I made pancakes this morning that were awesome -

I used Silk vanilla soymilk and maple syrup

From www.compassionatecooks.com

No-Fuss Pancakes (http://www.compassionatecooks.com/r/pancakes.htm)

1 cup unbleached white flour (or split it and use half whole wheat flour)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1-cup soymilk or rice milk
2-1/2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons liquid sweetener, such as maple syrup, apple juice concentrate, barley malt, or rice syrup

Combine flours, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.

Combine milk, 2 Tablespoons of the oil, and sweetener in a separate bowl.

Add milk mixture to flour mixture and mix just until moistened; a few lumps are okay. (Don’t overbeat, or pancakes will be tough.)

Heat a nonstick griddle or frying pan over medium high flame until a few drops of water drizzled onto it forms beads and bounces around. Pour remaining 1/2 Tablespoon of oil onto the griddle and heat until hot.

Pour batter onto the griddle to form circles about 4 inches in diameter. Cook the pancakes for a minute or 2 on one side. When bubbles appear on the surface, slide a spatula under the pancake and flip it over. Cook the pancakes on the other side for another 1 or 2 minutes. Continue until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes in all. Makes about 8 pancakes.

Variations: Try adding a handful of fresh blueberries, chopped peaches, pears, or apples, raisins, walnuts, pecans, or chocolate chips to your pancakes. A dash of cinnamon in the batter is nice, too.

tipsy
Jul 18th, 2005, 02:28 AM
i absolutly love breakfast foods! ( i eat them all day!!!)

i buy a prepacaged vegan organic pancake mix by arrowhead mills. (usa)

they have whole wheat, maiz, kamut (yum!!)....many different varieties, all you add is soymilk.. (they suggest adding honey, i add organic cane sugar or nothing at all) and cooking oil of course!

(sometimes i add tropical source chocolate chips, or peanut butter!!)

Litsea
Jan 27th, 2006, 03:51 AM
This recipe has sort evolved from a plain multigrain pancake recipe that I used to make in my omni days (complete with yogurt and eggs). At this point, it is my own recipe. Despite being made from all whole grains, these are fairly light pancakes. I made these the last two days to the delight of my 2-yr. old son! They don't even require any maple syrup. Substitute flours around as you like, or applesauce for the banana. For a plain pancake, just omit the cocoa. Using soy milk powder, you can mix the dry ingredients together ahead of time and have "instant pancake mix" that only requires a banana and water to make. :) Realize, please, that I used to work in a professional bakery, so "~" measurements have been 'eyeballed'... they vary a little and according to my whims! :D --Sorry in advance! :o

Chocolate Banana Pancakes
1 banana
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup oats (I normally use rolled oats for this)
~2 Tbsp cornmeal (sometimes dry polenta or even oat bran, if out of cornmeal)
~2 Tbsp dry sweetener (I use brown sugar)
~2-3 tsp baking powder
~2 tsp cinnamon (optional, but I always add it to mine)
~1/2 tsp salt (I sometimes forget this)
cocoa... hmmm... ~1/4 cup? couldn't say... added it until the dry mix looked "chocolate-y" enough to me (and they were!!) :D
~1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional, and any nut, as you prefer)
chocolate chips to taste (optional)
milk of your choice, ~1 cup or so (I use soy milk normally)

Mash banana in a medium-sized bowl. Add all dry ingredients and stir well. Stir in milk until it reaches a good consistency... not too thick, not too thin. If you've made pancakes before, you know what I mean. :)

Cook as usual and enjoy! This recipe should make about 12 pancakes (my son can eat three of them!).

DancingWillow
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I made vegan crepes this weekend, and they were soooooooooooo good! A sinful indulgence (with this recipe) but worth it as a special treat:D

I got the recipe from AllRecipes.com:

http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/VeganCrepes.asp

I used raspberry syrup instead of maple syrup, and when they were done I spread some keylime-mango fruit jelly on them. Delicious!:)

Next time, I'd like to substitute at least half of the soy margerine with apple sauce or something else, so that it's a bit healthier. Does anyone know what to substitute so that the crepes still have a good consistency?

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I've made light and fluffy lower-fat crepes with silken tofu blended in :)

DancingWillow
Feb 7th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I've made light and fluffy lower-fat crepes with silken tofu blended in :)

Hmmm, how do you do that...do you substitute it for the margerine 1:1? Do you have the lower-fat crepe recipe on another thread? Thanks:)

hegerton
Feb 26th, 2006, 09:44 PM
it's coming up to that time of the year again and i was wondering if anyone had any good recipies for some pancakes

do you just use soy/rice milk and Nrgy egg repalcer?

help mucho appreciated :D

moochbabe
Feb 26th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I have a recipe that I LOVE:
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbs ground flax (optional but very good)
1 1/2 cups soy yogurt (or you can use applesauce, which is REALLY good too - i LOVE it with that)
1 1/4 cups soymilk or as needed

combine all ingredients until well mixed and moist and make your pancakes! Top as you'd like!

Tigerlily
Feb 26th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I made pancakes once before being vegan and once after...and both times mine were raw on the inside and uber burnt on the outside. :(

twinkle
Feb 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM
All I do is mix soya milk and plain flour to a batter, maybe add a little sugar and a pinch of salt. It's the toppings that make up most of the flavour of pancakes as far as I'm concerned :)

Tigerlily
Feb 26th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I'm more of a French toast girl!

tipsy
Feb 26th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I'm more of a French toast girl!

mmmmm....french toast.

your making me hungry lilly!

Tigerlily
Feb 26th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I feel like some right now!

Lex
Feb 26th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Strangely enough I was thinking about making pancakes for breakfast this morning: had soya milk & flour to hand, but didn't know how to replace the egg in the conventional recipe. Sounds like you don’t need it to replace it with anything though, Twinkle?

absentmindedfan
Feb 27th, 2006, 10:46 AM
My easy-as-pie pancake recipe is...
1 cup flour
1 cup soy milk
2 tsp of baking powder
Pinch salt
Stir milk into flour/baking powder/salt mix but only until just mixed. DO NOT OVERSTIR!
Leave for 20 mins, then place spoonfuls onto a medium-hot lightly oiled frying pan, cook until brown on one side (use a fish slice to peek underneath), flip over with fish slice and cook other side.
I like mine with sliced banana and maple syrup :)

grrrlgerms
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:40 AM
I just mix a cup of unbleached organic self-raising flour to a cup of soy milk. Add in 1/3 cup of soya margarine, a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. The best pancakes i've ever had, and I made up the recipe too!! My boyfriend nags me to make them all the time.......we eat them at least 3 times a week!! I find using a non stick fry pan helps too, cooking on a medium-high heat............no oil needed. Yummmmm i'ma go make me some now.

Flitter
Nov 18th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Does anyone have a really good whole wheat vegan pancake recipe to share? I have tried various wheat pancake recipes, but they always turn out really heavy and they refuse to cook in the middle. If you have one that incorporates flax, wheat germ, or other grains or seeds, that would be awesome!

Wildflower
Nov 18th, 2006, 07:18 PM
this is the one i use -

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup soymilk
1 T baking powder
pinch salt
2 T maple syrup
2 T olive oil

Mix dry ingredients together, then make a well in the center for the wet ingredients. stir until combined. let pancake batter sit out for 10-15 minutes (or longer!) for the batter to rise and puff up in the bowl. pour desired amount (around 1/2 cup) into a hot non-stick pan greased with olive oil. cook over medium heat until rises. peak under the pancake and see if the pan side is turning brown. when it is brown, flip over and cook for 1-2 more minutes.

this recipe is good with ground almonds, few T flax seed, 1 cup blueberries, etc. blended in. chocolate chips work too.

fiamma
Nov 18th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Are you looking for crepe-style pancakes or thick diner style?

For the former chick pea or buckwheat flour is quite good - I guess you could add any other grains you want. For the latter I have a good recipe containing banana as an egg substitute. Let me know what kind you want...

PainterLady
Dec 7th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Thank you! I too, always use banana as a sub for eggs. It works perfectly in pancake mix too. :p