PDA

View Full Version : pancakes

Pages : [1] 2 3

JasperKat
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Here is the recipe I promised I'd post when I unpacked and found my cookbooks!

1 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 mashed banana
1 1/4 c soy milk (I use vanilla)
1 Tbsp sweetener

Sift flour and baking powder together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mash the banana, add 1/4 of the milk and mix together until there are no lumps. Add banana, sweetener, and reamining milk to the dry mix. Stir together until just mixed. Pour onto hot skillet and cook them up!

I top this with fresh fruit a lot, or this banana cream sauce, if I am feeling very primate.

1 chopped banana
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Blend all together and use immediately. If you let it sit, it becomes very thick and sticky.

Enjoy!
-JK

JasperKat
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:17 PM
BTW, I got this recipe from "How it all Vegan" which is a truly awesome cookbook!
-JK

mysh
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the recipe! I made these this weekend - my son loved them, my daughter didn't like them, and my wife and I devoured them!
You could also make the batter a little wetter (bit more soymilk, I think), and make crepe-style pancakes with them instead.
The flavour was really very good (especially when smothered in maple syrup ;) ).

gertvegan
Feb 3rd, 2005, 06:27 PM
The 8th of February 2005 is the last day before Lent, known as Shrove Tuesday. Pancakes are often made on this day, traditionally to use up ingredients that would be given up during Lent or so I'm told.

Has anyone or everyone got a pancake receipe to share ? Foxy, you must have loads in your overflowing recipe book. Anyone ?

John
Feb 4th, 2005, 06:47 AM
My recipes aren't worth sharing, but lately I've been cooking blue corn (maize) pancakes. I add apple butter and evaporated cane juice to the mix and don't bother with the maple syrup.

cedarblue
Feb 4th, 2005, 08:24 PM
this recipe was in the old 'go vegan' booklet, entitled 'ronny's pancakes'.

(i hope im not infringing any copyright by copying it out :o )

this recipe sounds improbable but it apparently works very well...
(makes four apparently)

2/3pt soya milk
3 heaped tbs flour (white works best)
1 tbs flour or soya flour
pinch of salt

beat ingredients together and check the consistency - it should evenly cover the back of a spoon.
if ncessary add more flour or milk and fiddle till the consistency is just right.
heat a pan and pour in 1 tsp (no more) vegetable oil, ensure it covers the pan.
pour in 1/4 of the mixture and tilt pan quickly to ensure even coverage. cook on a medium heat till golden brown then turn over and cook other side.

there you go! :D

ive never used this recipe but plan to this year :)

Tigerlily
Feb 4th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Cedar, could you use in rice milk instead? Or would it not work? I'm kinda craving pancakes right now, lol and all I have is some vanilla rice milk.

cedarblue
Feb 6th, 2005, 11:26 AM
i guess any 'milk' would do, i would use rice or nut milk if thats what i had. try it and see!

its only flour and milk after all, it cant go that wrong!! ;)

let us know your results.

tails4wagging
Feb 7th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Is it just with flour and water???.

Poison Ivy
Feb 7th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Tails, Cedarblue posted a pancake recipe here (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2756&highlight=pancakeday) , however I don't think anyone's got any tried and tested recipes as of yet :)

Camyle26
Feb 7th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I have made great pancakes!!!! I use the same recipe all the time.... they always come out really good.... I am at work, but I will jot it down and post it soon :)

Camyle26
Feb 7th, 2005, 03:28 PM
OK so you start off with whatever pancake mix or bread mix you prefer... I use whole wheat..... It depends on how many you want to make but let's just say it's just for you.

-One cup of the mix.
-One cup (I use vanilla) soy milk or rice milk of your choice
-One teaspoon oil of your choice
-One teaspoon of egg replacer (yellow box - do you have that by you? if not i am sure you can get it online)
-scoop of spirulina, flavor of choice. vanilla is really good.

optional
-i sprinkle some quick oats for texture (quick oats is like oatmeal but just the flakes)
-i also use a little bit of flax seed oil and/or seeds. the seeds taste better in the mix.
-sometimes i use vegan chocolate chips also

ok so you just mix it all together... and then voila!!!! pancakes. they come out really good. I promise. :D

Camyle26
Feb 7th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Here you go: egg replacer
http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?sn=MilkAndEggSubstitutes&id=97&cat=8

tails4wagging
Feb 8th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Thanks folks. Someone told me recently you add sparkling mineral water to make it light.

Mystic
Feb 8th, 2005, 05:26 AM
optional
-i sprinkle some quick oats for texture (quick oats is like oatmeal but just the flakes)
-i also use a little bit of flax seed oil and/or seeds. the seeds taste better in the mix.
-sometimes i use vegan chocolate chips also

ok so you just mix it all together... and then voila!!!! pancakes. they come out really good. I promise. :D

Camyle, you should NEVER cook flaxseed oil

DeathOfDecadence
Feb 8th, 2005, 07:35 AM
if you feel like being lazy about it i use aunt jimaima (sp) whole wheat pancake mix, and use soy milk and egg replacer- also i usually add some apple sauce and cinn. or banana and nuts- its quick and easy

foxytina_69
Feb 8th, 2005, 10:02 AM
i use a pancake mix that is gluten free. its 1 1/4 cups of mix, 1 cup of milk or water (i use water, but i end up using more water than this so its more runny), 1/4 cup canola oil, and 1 egg (i use ener-g egg replacer)

all the mix is is baking powder, sugar, salt and flour. im pretty good with recipes, so if i were to do it without mix, i would probably use around a cup of flour (any kind) a teaspoon of baking powder, a tablespoon or two of sugar and a dash of sea salt. than you can mix that with a cup of water, egg replacer equal to one egg and some oil. then you just fry them :)

assilembob
Feb 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM
How it all vegan has the best pancake recipes EVER!!

~Mel

TheFirstBus
Feb 8th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Pancake mix is essentially just baking powder, flour and salt.

cedarblue
Feb 11th, 2005, 07:51 PM
did anyone else try the recipe i posted? i made them and they turned out great! husband did not notice they had soya milk, soya flour and no egg in them! :p

i did add more milk than recipe said though as i like them a bit thinner.

tails4wagging
Feb 12th, 2005, 05:47 AM
I did ronnys recipe just soya milk, flour and I added a little baking powder, turned out well, too well I ate two, one with lemon and sugar and the other with maple syrup!!!. :D

Gorilla
Feb 13th, 2005, 12:01 AM
i was never any good at making pancakes, vegan or otherwise, so i tend not to bother. i had some pancake mix from Veganstore last year and it wasn't very nice. mine always tend to end up either in a big lump or burnt. :o

pixeequeen
Feb 13th, 2005, 12:23 AM
I usually dont like pancakes at all, but this year one of my friends was feeling pancake day homesick and asked us all round to make pancakes and went through the trouble of finding a recipe for me, so we made it and i am converted!!! as all the others seem to say, it was just flour and soya milk (though we used self raising and the recipe was 'fluffly pancakes') and we added cocoa powder (green and blacks mmmm) and raisins. yum. did make me wonder why normal pancakes bother with an egg at all, i thought it was to bind it but for pancake slop it seems a bit unnecessary!

adam antichrist
May 27th, 2005, 07:37 PM
anyone got a nice pancake recipe incorporating baking soda?
I can't remember how i used to make them :rolleyes: olde age

cedarblue
May 27th, 2005, 07:45 PM
try this thread (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2756&highlight=pancake) adam, dont know if it will help :)

-er, btw, arent you a bit late in the year for pancakes??

answer= ITS NEVER TOO LATE FOR PANCAKES!! :p