PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable Soup with flavour

Pages : 1 [2]

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 12th, 2006, 03:26 AM
if you don't have Madras curry powder, just try using whatever type you do have.

creamy carrot curry soup

1 T olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 medium to large carrots, sliced
1/4 t sea salt
2 1/2 c water
14 oz can coconut milk
2 t Madras curry powder
1/8 t black pepper
2 T sweet or mellow miso
2 T grated carrot

heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent. add the carrots and salt, and sauté another 2 minutes.
stir in the water and coconut milk, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat ot medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. add the curry and pepper and continue to simmer another 2 minutes.
carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add the miso and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue to blend the remaining soup.
return the pureed soup to the pot, stir in the grated carrot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. serve hot.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 12th, 2006, 03:27 AM
creamy celery soup

1 T canola oil
1 medium to large sweet onion, minced
6 stalks celery, diced
1/4 t salt
5 c shiitake stock
2 T sesame tahini
3 T sweet or mellow miso
2 T kuzu
1/8 t pepper
chopped parsley for garnish

heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the onion, celery, and salt, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent. add the stock, increase the heat and bring to a boil.
combine the tahini and miso with some of the stock, then add it to the pot. reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and gently simmer about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
dissolve the kuzu in 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water and stir into the soup. continue stirring for about 3 minutes, or until the soup returns to a simmer and begins to thicken. stir in the pepper, and simmer another minute. garnish with parsley before serving.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 12th, 2006, 03:29 AM
sweet onions, such as vidalia or red bermuda, are the verieties of choice. keep in mind that the lemon juice will turn the broccoli brown, so add it just before serving.

cream of vegetable soup with roasted garlic

2 heads of garlic
1 large stalk broccoli
1 T olive oil
2 medium onions, diced
3 medium carrots, diced
1/2t sea salt
5 1/2 c water
1/8 t pepper
1/4 c sweet or mellow white miso
2 T sesame tahini
1 T fresh lemon juice
minced parsley for garnish
croutons for garnish

with a serrated knife cut off and discard the root end of each head of garlic, wrap the heads in foil, and bake in a 300 degree oven for 45 minutes. squeeze out the individual roasted garlic cloves and set aside.
while the garlic is roasting, cut the broccoli head from the stalk. peel the stalk and cut into 1/2 inch slices. cut the head into bite-size pieces. set aside.
the the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the broccoli, onions, carrots, and salt, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. add the water, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the pepper. cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
carefully ladle some of the soup onto a blender until it is half full. add the miso and tahini, and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue ot blend the remaining soup.
return the pureed soup to the pot, stir in the lemon juice, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with parsley and croutons before serving.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 12th, 2006, 03:30 AM
cream of scallion soup

3 c scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
5 c shiitake stock
1/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper
3 T sweet or mellow miso
croutons for garnish

bring the stock to a boil in a 4 quart pot. add the scallions and return to a boil. reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the scallions are very soft. stir in the salt and pepper.
carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add the miso and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue to blend the remaining soup.
return the pureed soup to the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with croutons before serving.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 12th, 2006, 03:33 AM
creamy squash soup with coconut milk

2 medium leeks
2 t canola or sesame oil
3 c cubed butternut or acorn squash
1/4 t sea salt
2 1/2 c water
14 oz can coconut milk
1/8 t black pepper
1 cinnamon stick
1 T ginger juice
3 T sweet white miso
minced parsley for garnish

cut off and discard the root and the dark green fibrous portion of the leeks. slice each leek lengthwise, cutting through only ot the center, not all the way through. wash carefully ot remove any soil that may be trapped between the leaves. cut the leeks into 1/4 inch slices and set aside.
heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the leeks, squash, and salt, stirring briefly to coat with oil, and sauté for 1 minute. add the water and coconut milk and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the pepper and cinnamon. cover and simmer about 15 minutes, or until the squash is tender. remove the cinnamon stick.
carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add the ginger juice and miso, and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue ot blend the remaining soup.
return the pureed soup to the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with parsley before serving.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 12th, 2006, 03:36 AM
this soup is great for guests because the roasted garlic gives it a gourmet flavor and with the croutons and chives flowting on top it has an elegant apperance as well.

potato leek chowder with roasted garlic

2 heads of garlic
3 medium leeks
1 T olive oil
4 medium potatoes, diced
1/2 t sea salt
5 1/2 c water
1/8 t black pepper
1 T finely chopped fresh thyme. ot 1/2 t dried
1/4 c sweet white miso
chopped chives for garnish
croutons for garnish

with a serrated knife, cut off and discard the root end of each head of garlic, wrap the heads in foil, and bake in a 300 degree oven for 45 minutes. remove from the oven, unwrap, and allow to cool for about 15 minutes. squeeze the roasted garlic from the individual cloves and set aside.
while the garlic is roasting, cut off and discard the root and the dark green fibrous portion of the leeks. slice each leek lengthwise, cutting through only to the center (not all the way through). wash carefully to remove any soil that may be trapped between the leaves. cut the leeks into 1/4 inch slices and set aside.
heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the leeks, potatoes, and salt, and sauté for about 2 minutes, or until the leeks begin to soften. add the water, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the pepper. cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add the thyme, roasted garlic, and miso and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue to blend the remaining soup.
return the pureed soup to the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with chives and croutons before serving.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 12th, 2006, 03:37 AM
when using fresh corn in this soup be sure to use the cooking water as your stock.

creamy carrot & fennel soup with fresh dill

2 medium fennel bulbs
1 T canola or sesame oil
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 t sea salt
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
5 c water
1/8 t black pepper
2 T chopped fresh dill
3 T sweet or mellow miso
chopped fennel or dill leaves for garnish

pull off a few handfuls of the fennel’s green, feathery fronds, coarsely chop, and set aside. cut off and discard the stalks, leaving only the bulbs. lying each bulb on its side trim a thin slice off the root end and discard. continue to thinly slice the bulbs and set aside.
heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the onion and salt, and sauté for about 3 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent. add the carrots and fennel, and sauté 2 minutes more.
stir in the water, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the pepper. cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add about 2 tablespoons of the chopped fennel leaves, dill, and miso, and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue to blend the remaining soup.
return the pureed soup to the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with chopped fennel leaves before serving.

fjernsyn
Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:50 AM
This is a soup from Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" it has absolutely no salt and about 2100 calories in this HUGE batch, but it's SO filling and creamy and you don't miss the salt at all! Mmmm! I've only made it once so far and it does take a bit of time but I froze it in four parts and defrost one every week and it's good for four big bowls per part. Oh, and it requires a high speed blender

Dr. Fuhrman's Famous Anti-Cancer Soup

Serves 10 (More like 16, in my experience)

1 cup dried split peas and/or beans (I used lentils)
4 medium onions (mine were more like large)
6-10 zucchini (I used 9 medium ones)
3 stalks leeks
5 lbs carrots
2 bunches celery
1 cup raw cashews
1 package mushrooms, any type (I used at least twice this. Gives you something to chew on.)

Place the beans and 4 cups of water in a very large pot and start cooking them, covered, on the lowest flame possible. (I actually cooked it on medium as low wasn't doing anything.) Take the outer skins off the onions and place them in the covered pot. Do not cut them up, put them in whole. Add the zucchini, uncut. Cut the bottom roots off the leeks and slice them up the side so each leaf can be thoroughly washed, because leeks have lots of dirt hidden inside. Throw away the last inch at the green top. Then place the entire leek (leaves uncut) into the pot. Juice the carrots and celery in a juice extractor. Add the juice to the pot. (This smells really gross when it first goes in and as it's cooking but once it's cooked it's so good.) While the soup is simmering, chop up the mushrooms. By the time you get to this stage, the zucchini, leeks and onions should be soft.

The next step only works if you have a Vita-Mix, a powerful blender, or a food processor. Ladle some of the liquid from the pot into the machine. Use tongs to remove the soft onions, zucchini, and leeks. Be careful to leave the beans in the bottle of the pot. In a few separate batches, completely blend together the onions, zucchini, and leeks. Add more soup liquid and the cashews to the mixture, and blend in. Return the blended, creamy mix back to the pot. Add the mushrooms. Simmer another 20 minutes.

Mmm!

Lorrs
Mar 10th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Vegetable Broth

Ok it's an old thread but I thought I'd add this recipe. I make this alot throughout the winter.

Ingredients

about 1 and a quarter cups of red lentils (washed)
1 cup barley (washed)
1 large leek (chopped)
1 potato (chopped)
1kg carrots (cleaned with ends chopped off - you can grate these or leave them whole and use the cheats method below)
1 parsnip
a handful of parsley
3 pints of vegetable stock (or just use water, the veg gives it flavour)
sea salt to taste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Use the vegetable oil in the pot to stop things sticking to the bottom.

Fill your pot with your vegetable stock, barley, lentils, carrots, potato and parsnip. Stir and allow pot to boil and then cover and simmer until carrots and parsnips are soft.

If using cheat method - When carrots are soft, retrieve them from the pot and mash them then return to the pot.

Add leeks and parsley to pot, stir, allow to boil and then simmer for 15 - 20 mins.

Add salt to taste and you are done.

You can eat this straight away but I find it always tastes even better after being allowed to sit overnight. If you are doing that make sure you store the pot in a cold place and when heating make sure to heat it all the way through.

Cherry
Mar 10th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Mmmm - I love barley in soup :)

Gorilla
Mar 10th, 2007, 11:23 PM
my mum used to use barley in soups and stews but i've never used it. reminds me too much of meat. :(

Lorrs
Mar 11th, 2007, 01:31 PM
my mum used to use barley in soups and stews but i've never used it. reminds me too much of meat. :(

och thats ashame, I loves the stuff

Astrid
Dec 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I think cabbage is lovely in vegetable soup, as it gives it a special cabbage flavour that everyone likes.

Cabbage and bean soup:
200 grams dry white or pinto beans (or a mix)
1 large onion, or 2 small
6 cloves of garlic
1 large carrot
1 large red bell pepper
2 stalks celery
500-600 grams cabbage (about half of a small head)
2 cubes vegetable stock
4 cups water

Soak the beans overnight or for at least six hours. Leave to cook, for about 45 minutes, while the rest ot the soup is prepared. Cut the onions in half and slice them. Finely chop the garlic. Half the carrot, chop it and chop the celery. Dice or slice the bell pepper. Sauté the vegetables in a large soup pot. Add water and stock cubes. While bringing to a boil, wash the cabbage, cut out the stem and chop in slices. Add to the soup along with cooked beans and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Add more water if necessary.

piggy
Dec 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM
personally i like adding lots of green leafy veg, but not cooking the veggies very long...i then just blend it all up to make it liquid..i think the longer you cook veggies, the less flavour they have

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 28th, 2007, 08:53 PM
farro is a very healthy grain, sometimes labeled spelt. you can get coarse ground farro at italian food shops and health food stores. to make this simple soup delicious use very good, fresh ingredients.

VEGETABLE SOUP WITH GROUND FARRO

5T olive oil
2 leeks, including 1" of the green tops, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and minced
1 celery stalk, with leaves, minced
2T minced fresh italian parsley
1c ground farro
2 1/2 quarts flavorful broth
sea salt

in a large saucepan or soup pot warm the olive oil over medium heat. stir in the vegetables and parsley and saute slowly until softened, about 10 minutes. now stir in the farro and then pour in the broth. simmer uncovered, until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes. season with salt.