PDA

View Full Version : Steamed veggies and tofu: what can I add to it?

Sparrow
Mar 1st, 2006, 10:49 AM
Hey everyone,
Well I am a hopeless cook and work late so when I get home I usually just steam some vegies (broccoli,carrots, capsicum, zucchini, peas and corn) and tofu then add some soy sauce. Well as you can imagine it is quite a boring meal so I'm looking to add a couple of things to it to add some flavour. Any suggestions? I've chosen to have a steamed meal for dinner as I am keen to lose some weight which is also why I am limiting my carbs in the evening time.
Thanks!

absentmindedfan
Mar 1st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Brown rice?

Sparrow
Mar 1st, 2006, 10:54 AM
Hi Absent :)
Yes brown rice would be ok but I am trying to limit my carbs at night.
I was more thinking in terms of herbs and nuts, but as I have said, I am a hopeless cook so I don't know what would be best. Maybe a kind of dressing that I could quickly whip up?

lozza
Mar 1st, 2006, 12:56 PM
how DO you actually steam vegetables?

i mean, i know you can buy vegetable steamers..(i think anyway) but if you dont have one, how do you? is that the best way to cook veggies without losing vitamins? i normally either cook veg in a pan, or something.

Sparrow
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure if steaming is the best way to cook vegies without losing vitamins. Some of the vitamins go into the water that one has steamed with so it is beneficial to drink the water as well but admittedly I never do.
The steamer I have is simply a pot with another pot on top which has holes on the bottom of it (which I assume is the actual steamer). I think the holes allow for a better steaming process but you can steam with simply a pot of boling water with a plate on top filled with your vegies or whatever and add a lid to make the process quicker.
But I am no expert on cooking!

FR
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:29 PM
Add some Bragg's Liquid Aminos, yum!

Sparrow
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:31 PM
^ Sorry, do not know what that is!

FR
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Hmmm, it may not be available there, although I think it is. It is similar to soy sauce.

Sparrow
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks FR. :) I will look out for it.

pat sommer
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM
a handy supply of pastes will shake things up: shop around for vegan pesto genovese or as follows, Thai Tom Yam is a burst of flavour, tamarind paste goes well with soysauce or curry flavours, black olive paste (beware of tapenade- anchovy) with garlic or chillie, mexican mole verde or as follows...

Pesto: in a seed grinder or with handheld blender half cup raw spinach leaves quarter cup oliveoil. wiz a bit to reduce mass then add tablespoon dry basil, quarter cup pinenut or cashew, several cloves garlic. wiz to disired consistency (I like gritty). more oil may be necessary to keep things moving. Stir in half a fake parmesan container. taste and add salt if necessary. Keeps well in fridge with layer of oil to cover.

Mole Verde: in seed grinder half fill with pumpkinseed, half tsp salt 1 tsp oregano 1 tsp ground cumin 1 tsp ground coriander big pinch clove or allspice. pulse till fine (scrape down 1 or 2). add few cloves garlic and a couple small green chillies (serrano) or what you can handle (few slices pickled jalapeno) then pour over oliveoil to half full. wizz till smoothish. Coriander leaves a nice addition (cilantro)

sugarmouse
Mar 1st, 2006, 08:46 PM
Dry fry the veggies instead or 'fry' them in the soy sauce...dig out different dressings that are vegan and change that....add salsa..either home made or packaged if you are lazy like me !

Sparrow
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks patsommer for your detailed suggestions, I really appreciate it!
Thanks Sugarmouse for your ideas. :)

insubordination
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:59 AM
Obviously you need an electric wok (if you don't already have one). You can do everything with that (most have a steaming tray thing). It's a must-have.

Simmer the vegies with half a vegetable stock cube and water and (if you like it) couple of pinches of curry powder. It evaporates a bit and you're left with a delicious, moist stir-fry.

If you're not into hot stuff like curry and chilli, loads of turmeric and cumin is nice also. Buy some fresh coriander or basil, you wouldn't believe how delicious it makes it.

Maybe you could find some high-protein noodles if you don't like carbs. I was going to suggest peanut butter and tahini too but I'd best not, considering your weight loss plans.

Vary your vegetables. Try chinese ones and leek instead of onion.

Sparrow
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks Insubordination!:) Thanks for the tips! Yes I think I should add some herbs. I luuuurve coriander.
I do have an electric wok but I don't think it has a steaming tray though.

BadBoredBony
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
you could also try different types of tofu, like smoked or marinated... or seitan (which i, personally prefer to tofu)...also add loads of ginger and chili for a nice spicy taste!

another quick meal which i like, when i'm in hurry is pasta with garlic, onions, fresh tomatoes, smoked tofu and fresh herbs like basil or rosemary.
:D

bbb
xxx

insubordination
Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
I meant to add that Quinoa is a lower carb alternative to rice or noodles. Also, get yourself some baby bok choy. It's so great in stirfries, you'll love it!

flycat
Oct 13th, 2006, 09:48 PM
See my recipe for tofu and broccoli with peanut sauce...YUMMY! over brown rice.

rantipole
Oct 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I like to steam a variety of root veggies (usually a potato, a sweet potato, and two beets, but it varies). I then add a little onion or leek and mix together with some Veganaise. It's delicious and comes out a funky pink color.

I'm sure you could use any vegan mayonaise substitute for the Veganaise.

Also, Annie's Goddess dressing is fantastic on steamed greens, broccoli, and mushrooms. I'm not sure if that's available in Australia or not, but if so, but it immediately. You won't be disappointed.

And, yes, the steaming water has lots of vitamins and minerals. I don't drink it, though--I water my houseplants with it!

Cheers,
rant

cedarblue
Oct 17th, 2006, 04:15 PM
have a good look through the recipes thread and the 'what did you eat today' thread.

you'll lots of ideas for quick and tasty dinners.

hollybee
Oct 17th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I make a great dressing with balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, lime juice (just a drop), garlic and either olive or sesame oil. It's perfect over tofu and veggies. I also like to stir-fry my tofu in peanut oil over very high heat.

Tigerlily
Oct 17th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I make a great dressing with balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, lime juice (just a drop), garlic and either olive or sesame oil. It's perfect over tofu and veggies. I also like to stir-fry my tofu in peanut oil over very high heat.

Sounds delicious.

hollybee
Oct 17th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Sounds delicious.

Thanks! It's also terrific on noodles, and works beautifully as a salad dressing. Of course you can vary it, add ginger or mustard powder-anything you can think of. I got the idea from a cookbook called Tassajara Cooking. It's about 35 years old, and more of a guide than a book of recipes. I think all the dishes can be made vegan, although it mentions dairy as an option in a lot of them.

Tigerlily
Oct 17th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks. :)

hollybee
Oct 17th, 2006, 09:43 PM
You're welcome. I highly recommed the cookbook. I have a difficult time with recipes-I get bogged down in 1/4 cup of this or that. I was more in need of a guide that would help me figure out what might taste good together. Fortunately, I found it on the $1.00 table at our local flea market just at the time I decided to give up meat. When my old copy fell apart, I had no trouble finding another on Amazon. I think I paid less than $5.00 with shipping.