PDA

View Full Version : My dream - Sweden

Fruitbat
Aug 13th, 2004, 09:03 PM
I dream of settling in Sweden or Norway. I believe Sweden is a good place for vegan foods and lifestyle. Anyone know anything?

Cloudy
Aug 13th, 2004, 11:53 PM
I lived in Norway for a few years. The quality of life there is better than the UK but I found the language barrier difficult and generally missed home too much to settle there.

I had no trouble with veganism there though, although I didn't eat out very often.

Korn
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:37 PM
I'm from Norway, and was in Sweden last week....

Veganism is more common in Sweden than in Norway. Food is also more expensive in Norway.

When in Stockholm, I was strongly recommended a restaurant called Malyasia which I unfortunately didn't have the time to visit. If you ever go there, let me know if you liked it :)

Here's one of several swedish vegan sites: http://www.veganstockholm.se/lang_swe/

Norway and Sweden are both nice countries, but the winters can be long.If you don't like snow, and a lot of it, you might consider heading southwards instead...

Fruitbat
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I love snow and winter which is part of the attraction of Sweden as well as good career opportunities for me and the fact that there is skiing AND the sea and less sun (as I am not supposed to expose myself ot the sun as much as possible). I might struggle with the short days in winter but other than that - the Swedish style is mykind of style and everyone i know form sweden says i would fit in well there.

cedarblue
Aug 17th, 2004, 04:23 PM
there was a tv show recently on @get a new life' i think it was called and a family from uk had two weeks to get their house and affairs in order then were whisked off to sweden for a month (expenses) paid to see if they could get jobs, schools, to see if they really liked the lifestyle etc.
husband was a fireman and wife a recently qualified teacher, had two children.
after lots of ups and downs, at the end of the month they decided to stay as the local rural community had really taken an interest in them and they wanted to live their dream so much.
i must say sweden looks beautiful - it was winter at the time and snow everywhere.

i really like the look of sweden too - would love to go there to visit one day, looks so fresh, clean and uncluttered.

Fruitbat
Aug 17th, 2004, 07:35 PM
I have lived most of my life until uni in suburbs and they are gray and dull and depress me. Having discovered wot it is to live in a rural town I could never go back - that is part of the reason why sweden is so attractive. I owuld need emergency food rations of Redwood's prducts though!!!!

spidermonkey
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:57 PM
I love Norway! :) I lived in Trondheim for a year back in the 80's.

l337_v3g4n_1
Oct 10th, 2004, 01:47 AM
try Iceland, if only for a few days. I love Iceland, moved halfway across the world four times (to Australia, back, to NZ, back) and I found that Iceland is the only place for me. Be warned Iceland is a fishin country, and most, if not all oins have fish on them. but if you want a true scandinavian country, Iceland is the place. Did you know that Icelandic is the closest of all scandinavian languages to old Norse(the original language of denmark, norway, etc.)? We can actually read and understand most of the old stories and documents without learning a new language! :D :D :D Don't worry about the sun in Iceland, in winter there isn't too much of it... actually, 1 or more days of winter here are ONLY night!!! Hope I have been a good tourist guide,
l337