PDA

View Full Version : i need a dhal (lentil) recipe!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

foxytina_69
Jun 30th, 2005, 12:53 PM
what are the different kinds of lentils good for. are they all good for anything, or does each kind work better for certain things. im going to start adding them to my diet and am not quite sure how to use them with what. (does anyone have any good links?)

what are your favorites and what do u use them with/for?

thanx :)

harpy
Jun 30th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I'd say the main difference is that some of them keep their shape better than others, though they do taste a bit different as well. The red ones cook quickly and disintegrate, so they are good for thickening a veg soup or stew (aside from their nutritional value). If you want them to stay recognisably lentil-like throughout the cooking process, the ones called "continental" or "Puy" lentils here in the UK are good (they may be called something else where you are but they are easy to spot - small and pinky-green in colour). So if you want to use cold lentils in a salad, for example, they are ideal.

Brown and green ones are in between these two extremes as far as shape-keeping properties go and they have a nice earthy flavour.

foxytina_69
Jun 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM
thanx harpy :)

harpy
Jun 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Was just thinking that I get through about six times as much of the red kind as all the other kinds put together - so if I were just going to buy one kind that's what I'd go for.

Part of it is that I'm not that good at planning ahead and they cook fast without any soaking. They are usually very cheap as well. Will be interested to hear other people's favourites.

ConsciousCuisine
Jun 30th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Red lentils are my favorite as well! MMM, especially with leeks and coconut milk :)

I like small French green lentils for cold salads, regular brown or green for soups, black lentils for tacos and the like...lentils are one of my favorite foods!

foxytina_69
Jun 30th, 2005, 04:06 PM
well im glad red seems to be popular because thats the kind i got :D

Tigerlily
Jun 30th, 2005, 11:30 PM
I mostly eat the brown lentils.

DianeVegan
Jul 1st, 2005, 03:37 AM
The red lentils DEFINITELY cook faster than brown or green. I would check them 2/3 of the way into whatever recipe you may be using. My first red lentil dal was more like lentil soup. :o

maya
Jul 7th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Dahl palak
1/2 cup split peas
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound spinach, chopped
3 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
1 tablespoon ginger, fresh and chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 pinch salt

Soak split peas in 2 cups water 1 hour. Add turmeric and 1/2 tsp. salt to split peas. Boil 10 minutes in same water used to soak peas. Add spinach and cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed and split peas are done. Meanwhile, heat ghee in a skillet. Add ginger and garlic. Cook until garlic is golden. Add Garam Masala. Immediately add the seasoned ginger and garlic to the spinach-split pea mixture. Add lemon juice and salt to taste and serve.

eve
Jul 8th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Hopefully nobody here would use ghee. Apart from that, it's a nice easy recipe. :)

Realfood Mary
Jul 8th, 2005, 11:28 AM
You can use olive oil instead of ghee. I know a lovely Sikh lady, a life long veggie, who has just gone personally vegan. She runs a lovely catering van called "Sukhi's savouries", in the outside market. She serves one non vegan product, with ghee in it. She has veganised everything else by simply substituting olive oil. You can get vegetable ghee as well, but Sukhi prefers the olive oil.

And wow, just writing about her food has made me hungry. You will have to try it sometime! Worth a trip to Wolverhampton. :D

Yoggy
Jul 8th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Is dahl supposed to be soupy (i.e. you have to ladel it into bowls) or is it supposed to be thicker so you can pile it with a spoon onto a plate or shallow bowl? I had dahl for the first time yesterday at the cafeteria, and it was quite thin, but for some reason I thought it would be more pasty. Did the cafeteria screw up, or is it supposed to be like that?

Other than the wateriness, it was really quite good, if a bit too spicy for my tastes. I've got a recipe from a cookbook that I'm going to try, and if it's any good, I'll post it here.

Roxy
Jul 8th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Hi Yoggy - I've had it both ways - but mostly it is quite runny - like a thick soup - and a ladel is used to scoop it up.

Mystic
Jul 9th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Some are thick, some are thin. It depends on the cook :)

Roxy
Jul 9th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Hmmmmm now I feel like a curry for dinner tonight! I am working tonight - so won't have time to make it - so I'll see if I can maybe buy some dahl and either a chickpea curry or an eggplant curry. It's cold and rainy-ish here today - so good dahl weather! :D

celtic rose
Jul 24th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Is dahl supposed to be soupy (i.e. you have to ladel it into bowls) or is it supposed to be thicker so you can pile it with a spoon onto a plate or shallow bowl? I had dahl for the first time yesterday at the cafeteria, and it was quite thin, but for some reason I thought it would be more pasty. Did the cafeteria screw up, or is it supposed to be like that?

Other than the wateriness, it was really quite good, if a bit too spicy for my tastes. I've got a recipe from a cookbook that I'm going to try, and if it's any good, I'll post it here.
Mine is soupy when hot but sets as it cools.
I eat it both ways, hot and runny and cold and sliced.

Tootles
Jul 28th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks Banana for a great recipe. I made the red lentil dahl for tea tonight and it was delicious. Naively I didn't think lentils and a few spices would taste so nice, how wrong I was.

Iíve only been vegan for a couple of weeks now and was struggling at first. Well to be honest I thought I was doing really well till I started looking at all the Ďveganí foods Iíd bought. Never thought at all that plain nachos would contain a milk product never mind the salsa (still quite havenít gotten over that one).

Iím so glad I found this forum, and I canít wait to try out a lot more of the recipes. Can anyone recommend anything else?

strawberry
Jul 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Hey banana :)
I'm actually making dahl tonight! (your moong dahl) but for future reference, is the chili in the split pea dahl an actual chili? or a spice?

Sweets
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:56 AM
I saw some of this at the grocery store today, and i hear a lot of you eat it... it looks so nutritious, how do you prepare it?? any recipes would be appreciated!

foxytina_69
Nov 21st, 2005, 03:31 PM
i still have a hard time with lentils. i dont know what to put them in and they taste very bland to me!

tigerlily, i liked your idea about adding them to rice, since i eat alot of brown rice. what color lentils do u use in your rice?

Pob
Nov 21st, 2005, 04:24 PM
I cook the green ones with rice and serve them up to accompany curry.
I've also used them in a burger recipe.

foxytina_69
Nov 21st, 2005, 11:53 PM
do you have to rinse lentils before you use them?

Pob
Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:19 AM
I rinsed them and checked for stones, then boiled them rapidly for 10 minutes, then added the rinsed rice and simmered until the rice was done.

I don't think rinsing does much other than get the dust off them.

foxytina_69
Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:38 AM
thanks rob :D

i just cooked red lentils!

Roxy
Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:00 AM
How did they go Tina?

There were cooked lentils in the festive loaf recipe that I made last week.

Unfortunately, I cooked a few too many lentils. So tonight for dinner, I had organic tomato soup and dumped the rest of the already cooked lentils into the soup as I heated it. They were a nice addition.