PDA

View Full Version : i need a dhal (lentil) recipe!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

grail
Dec 1st, 2005, 06:46 PM
When bushwalking, I add water to lentils and dried vegie bits and let them soak in my pack all day for the evening meal - then I don't have to cook them for long and basically they have started germination.

I have heard of walkers growing lentils as sprouts for long distance walks for the vitamins in the fresh food. Just in snap-lock bags rinsed and hanging on the outside of the backpack!This is too cool! Ok, can someone direct me to a sprout thread - I'm very curious about the benefits of DIY sprouts. I've never sprouted anything, but would like to try.

foxytina_69
Dec 1st, 2005, 07:32 PM
they turned out good roxy. yummy.

DianeVegan
Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
This is too cool! Ok, can someone direct me to a sprout thread - I'm very curious about the benefits of DIY sprouts. I've never sprouted anything, but would like to try.
Grail,
If you live near a Wild Oats or Whole Foods, there are directions on the sprout seeds which you can usually find near the produce section. Your library may have a book on how to do it but if you want to buy one of the sprouting jars (also found where they sell the seeds) there are some simple instructions. I have a pamphlet (from Wild Oats) that has all the nutritional info for each type of sprout so I haven't done any online or library searches.

Sprouting is easy and cheap compared to the already sprouted seeds. I have some broccoli sprouting as we speak....... :)

foxytina_69
Jan 24th, 2006, 04:32 AM
i got some green lentils today. does anyone know if they would be good mixed in with some pasta?

Yoggy
Jan 24th, 2006, 04:35 AM
i got some green lentils today. does anyone know if they would be good mixed in with some pasta?
I saw a recipe a while back for a tomato pasta sauce made with lentils. I'll see if I can find it ;)

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 24th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Lentils are GREAT with pasta, with or without red sauce.

I like the red lentils cooked in with pasta sauce until they dissolve (so rich tasting!).

Cold pasta salads with green or brown lentils are nice too.

foxytina_69
Jan 24th, 2006, 09:21 AM
i added green lentils to my pasta. they were yummy. steev liked them :) he said "they dont taste like anything, but they arent gross" im like "yeah but theyre just like tofu, bland on its own, but so much flavour when combined with other things!" lol. he also enjoyed the kale.

Mystic
Jan 27th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I wish it was easy to get kale in Australia. I have only had it twice :(

oldsilverhead
Jan 28th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I prefer puy lentils to plain green lentils but either taste out of this world delicious in the following recipe:p

1 medium onion chopped
3 carrots chopped
half a cup of spinach chopped
1 stalk of celery chopped
1 large tomato chopped
2 tablespoons of olive oil
half a cup of mashed cooked green/puy lentils
half a teaspoon of dried basil
half a teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of soya sauce
6 potatoes

preheat oven to 350F/180C
boil potatoes till tender
while potatoes are cooking,in a medium saucepan saute the onion,carrot,spinach,celery and tomato in the oil.
when carrots are tender add lentils,basil,salt and soya sauce and stir and simmer till liquid is absorbed.

place in casserole/oven dish,mash potatoes and top lentil mix with them

bake for 20 minutes till potato begins to go golden

enjoy!

Trust me,this is the tastiest,most delicious way to experiance puy/green lentils:p

oldsilverhead

maya
Feb 6th, 2006, 09:35 PM
2 t olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 t ground cumin
1/2 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup bulgur
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced or 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 T lemon juice
1/2 t salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
8 flour tortillas (soft taco size)
2 T lemon juice
1 T extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 t salt
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce leaves, washed and dried
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, washed and dried
1/2 cup plain soy yogurt
In large saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until softened, stirring often. Add jalapeno, garlic and cumin; cook 30 seconds, stirring. Add lentils and stir to coat. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325
After lentils have simmered 20 minutes, stir in bulgur and tomato; simmer, covered, about 20 minutes longer or until lentils and bulgur are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
While bulgur is simmering, warm tortillas and prepare garnishes: wrap tortillas in a sheet of aluminum foil. Place packet in oven and heat for about 20 minutes. In small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add carrots and toss to coat.
When pilaf is ready, stir in parsley, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
To serve, spoon 1/2 cup lentil pilaf down center of a warm tortilla. Top with carrot salad, lettuce, cilantro and a dollop of yogurt. Fold tortilla over filling and roll up.

DancingWillow
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:43 PM
yummm:) These sound delicious...I look forward to trying them when I have the time to make them (and money to get all the ingredients!) Thanks, maya!

maya
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:55 PM
;)

yummm:) These sound delicious...I look forward to trying them when I have the time to make them (and money to get all the ingredients!) Thanks, maya!

Blueshark
Feb 7th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Actually that would make a great packed lunch.

Thanks.

Blueshark
Feb 7th, 2006, 12:38 PM
What is Bulgur ?

DancingWillow
Feb 7th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Bulgur is a type of grain derived from whole wheat. It can be spelled in multiple ways, so you might have seen it with a different spelling. It has a high content of fiber, as well as other nutrients. Here are some links with info:

http://www.wholegrain.umn.edu/grains/bulgur.cfm

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,305,00.html

One of the popular recipes with it (at least here) is Taboule Salad, which contains bulgur, parsley, lemon juice, salt, diced tomatoes, and cucumbers.

Tigerlily
Feb 7th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Sounds delicious, Maya!

grail
Feb 7th, 2006, 05:29 PM
maya, thanks for sharing this with us!

Mr Flibble
Feb 7th, 2006, 05:37 PM
What is Bulgur ?

The page the recipe is from (March - April, 2001, issue of Today's Health & Wellness magazine) explains more:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:ZWZCEw6qIRQJ:www.healthandwellnessc lub.com/document.asp%3FdID%3D689+%22+vitamins+and+minerals .+Since+it+is+pre+%22&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=1

"*Bulgur, which is made from whole wheat kernels that have been steamed, dried and cracked, provides the whole grain benefits of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Since it is pre - cooked, bulgur requires only brief simmering or soaking in hot water (as in tabbouleh salad). You can find bulgur in the natural foods section of many supermarkets or in health food stores. If you don't have any on hand, you can substitute long - grain white rice in this recipe."

maya
Feb 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM
:D ;) :D

maya, thanks for sharing this with us!

oldsilverhead
Feb 9th, 2006, 12:23 AM
We have just had this for dinner minus the jalapeno pepper and it was so intensley delicious that I have no hesitation giving it a 10 out of 10:p

oldsilverhead

maya
Feb 9th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I am glad you liked it. It is one of my favorite things to make when I have friends over.

oldsilverhead
Feb 9th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Mine too from now on,thank you:D

oldsilverhead

qwaychou
May 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Mine is soupy when hot but sets as it cools.
I eat it both ways, hot and runny and cold and sliced.
In one of my Asia cookbooks, It says that the Northern parts of the countrty it's thicker, to be eaten in bread, almost sandwich style, where in the southern part of the counrty, it's thinner, like soup.

Wildflower
May 9th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Hey banana :)
I'm actually making dahl tonight! (your moong dahl) but for future reference, is the chili in the split pea dahl an actual chili? or a spice?

i make this recipe quite often, and I use chili paste from the indian grocery. Chili powder here in the US is a blended spice, with cumin and other stuff mixed in. Ground chili (cayenne pepper) may work too, but might taste a bit different, depending on the type. Some are milder and sweeter, some are hotter and cleaner tasting.

I would use fresh chili, or a chili paste. :)

Korn
Jul 21st, 2006, 09:10 AM
More about the various types of 'dal' (lentils) here:
http://www.indianfoodsco.com/Submit/lentilsDal.htm

Some info about the nutrients found in dal/dhal here:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=52

Overview of different kinds of lentils here, with pictures:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Lentils.html