PDA

View Full Version : i need a dhal (lentil) recipe!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

triona.d.
Aug 30th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Tomatoes in dal really makes a difference, and can be good even in large amounts.... In addition to cummin and lemon sauce (and garlic of course), tomatoes really do the trick for me.

Have you tried making dal with the very small, almost black lentils?

when would you suggest adding the tomatoes if making, say, the basic lentil dahl of banana's at the top of this thread?
triona

Korn
Aug 30th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Tomatoes are one of the few plants that actually (sometimes) are cooked for a veeeeery long time to get that special taste, and tomatoes have also been mentioned as one of the few plants that contains nutrients that are easier to absorb after cooking, but I guess you can put them in whenever you want. I like the idea of adding raw ingredients in cooked food just before eating it (like small pieces of ginger, for example), but I haven't tried banana's recipe, so my reply would be: try, and let us know what you find out! ;)

Wildflower
Sep 3rd, 2006, 03:04 AM
when would you suggest adding the tomatoes if making, say, the basic lentil dahl of banana's at the top of this thread?
triona

I make that recipe quite often, and I add 1 can (so they are precooked) of diced no salt tomotoes, with their juice at the same time as you combine the lentils and onion mix. So, combine the lentils and onions, add the tomaotes, lemon juice, etc. then cook for 15 more minutes.

As Korn mentioned, tomatoes have more lycopene when cooked, so it is not a bad thing to add canned tomato products to your diet - just make sure they do not have added sugar/salt. If you want to use raw, you could probably add them at the same time, they just won't be quite as cooked. tomotoes take a long while to turn into a canned tomato like consistency.

Tigerlily
Sep 12th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Can you guys believe I never made this yet?!! :eek:

I'm making some this week. Maybe tomorrow?

triona.d.
Sep 18th, 2006, 06:30 PM
fantastic! i finally tried out the dhal and it was great (the yellow split pea version)...yum! i had some courgette and aubergine in my fridge so i bunged that in and i think it worked! i think i'd prefer it a little more liquidy so that i could maybe ladel it over rice or something. i had it with some naan but it was all a little too stodgy...might just have a big bowl of it on its own next time!

Wildflower
Sep 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Can you guys believe I never made this yet?!! :eek:

I'm making some this week. Maybe tomorrow?

No, I can't believe it Tigerlily! :eek: Did you make it yet? :)

Tigerlily
Sep 18th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I did and it wasn't incredible. :( Maybe I didn't make it properly?

Wildflower
Sep 19th, 2006, 12:33 AM
hmmm....

I don't know, which recipe did you use? What didn't you like about it?

Tigerlily
Sep 19th, 2006, 01:16 AM
I made the red lentil dhal. I didn't say I didn't like it. I just wasn't dying with food orgasms from it or anything.

Yoggy
Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:57 AM
LOL food orgasms!

I remember the first time I made it, I was tasting it while it was still cooking and wasn't impressed at all with how it tasted. I decided it probably didn't have enough spices, so I added more turmeric and chili powder. I ended up adding almost 4x what was stated in the recipe, as well as some salt, and then it tasted really good. I guess because it's mostly water in there, you have to add a lot of spices to really taste them.

Tigerlily
Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:41 AM
Yeah, maybe I'll play with the portions a bit if I decide to make it again.

Dreamer
Oct 15th, 2006, 08:39 PM
i often cook lentils. and they come out just fine.

here's what i do:

1. Put lentils in a pot of cold water and make sure they're covered by at least 5x more water then lentils. More water means a 'longer-to-boil' time and a more thourghly cooked product. Do not use a lid.

2. Adjust the stove to 'high' and wait till the water boils then immediately then turn it down to gently simmer. Do not use a lid.

3. When they seem almost ready turn the stove off and just let them soak in the pot on an OFF burner. Put a lid on top.

4. Keep checking until done.

5. Eat your wonderful lentils. :)

All the beans i've cooked seem to work by this method with one exception: Some require overnight soaking at room temperature.

StarShine
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I cook my lentils in a steamer and they come out perfect every time. No soaking is required.

1. 1 cup Lentils : 1 cup Water
2. Steam until desired texture is reached (20-50 minutes depending on the steamer)

You'll need a steamer to do it. A good reason to buy a steamer - Steamers are econimical, energy efficient, and throughly cook food fast. Only $30 (CDN) for a good one. I have a Black & Decker.

Wildflower
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:19 AM
hmmm. when i make it there really isn't any water left, i cook it down very thick. could have somethig to do with it I suppose.

Tigerlily
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I haven't made it since my first time. Maybe I'll wait until I try it at a restaurant to see how it's suppose to taste.

Smoothie
Jan 4th, 2007, 04:45 PM
i make mine very thick - and with garlic, onion, aubergine, courgette, small pieces of potato and a lot of spices! it's amazing - especially served with rice.

Smoothie
Jan 4th, 2007, 04:47 PM
of yeah - and sometimes I use 1/2 water 1/2 coconut milk/cream - THAT'S good enough for food orgasms!:D

Korn
Feb 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Here are some lentil tricks I've picked up here and there:

Cook them with cumin and garlic
Use tomatoes to add some depth to the taste
Add some fresh lemon juice
Lentils cook more slowly if they're combined with salt or acidic ingredients, so add these last. (http://www.foodsubs.com/Lentils.html)
Star anis is a perfect spice for use with lentils
Roasted (dry or using oil) Indian spices is brilliant with lentils
Chopped carrots and onions are good in a lentil dish (if you put an onion or a large piece of onion in the lentils while cooking it, you can remove it before you serve it)
Try adding light tahini, tamari (soy sauce), and/or coconut milk - in any combination
A little red chili and roasted, brown mustard seeds are great in lentils
If you cook a little extra lentils, you can use some of it as a thickener in other meals you are making (eg. in a soup)

Pob
Feb 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM
We've been using them as a straight replacement for mince (in cottage pie, lasagne, spag bol, etc).
Take a mixture of lentils (red, green and puy), and cook in just sufficient boiling water for 30 minutes. Then mix into your sauce and use as normal.

puffin
Feb 20th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I use lentils like that pob, i dont like mince so the lentils bulk it out well.

absentmindedfan
Feb 21st, 2007, 12:29 AM
My new favourite pasta sauce;
cook red lentils, red onion and garlic until soft. Add seasoning to taste and blend before serving over wholewheat spaghetti.
It is fast, filling and delicious.

aubergine
Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
My fave too :)

Smoothie
Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:37 PM
i LOVE red lentils. ecspecially in dhal. and in lasagna. it's one of my fav foods. i like lentils cooked with onions, garlic, potato, spinach, tomatoes and coconutmilk. sooo good. and the coconutmilk makes it so much richer.

flying plum
Mar 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
I have a dhally question, and this seemed like a good place to ask it (although i'm not promising to make sense...). usually, when i cook red lentils, i like them so they're still a bit distinguished...like, not a sauce, but much lentilly mush.

however, a few weeks ago i thought i'd try to make dhal look more like it does when i comes from the takeaway, so i'd cook it for longer so it was more like a puree. however, soemthing really odd happened...i'm guessing i over cooked it. i ended up with a really thick lentilly thing, and all the water rose up above it in the pan. the lentils themselves tastes almost powdery. i haven't cooked them this long since, but i was wondering what i might have done wrong. too much water? too long to cook? or should i do how i used to, then puree it with a hand blender?

amanda

Rvn
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I bought about a pound of red lentils a year ago and I just discovered it this week. I had few recipes to prepare from red lentils so seems like I absolutely forgot about it. The only one I knew a week back was
Red lentils dip
Made from red lentils, tomato-sauce /or ketchup/, carrots all cooked and blended with spices and sugar.
I did not really like it, it was okay, but I never imagined lentils sweet (if anyone wills I will copy the exact recipe). But yesterday I made some research and thanks to you guys I found out it can be added to lasagna or in a soup, so i combined this one

Red lentils soup
1 cup red lentils
1/2 cup dried apricot, halved
about 15 slices of carrot (half-inch wide)
kurkuma, sugar, koriander, bit of chili
water

First I added the carrot and apricot to the water, after 5-10 minutes lentils as it cooks faster. At the end I added 1 tbsp starch also. I think it is even better if cooked in soy-milk and/or with coconut.
This one is based on the Moroccon lentil soup, but the dried fruit just made it lovely.
It would be so nice to see other red lentil recipes as today this is the only one I can made with my red lentils.