PDA

View Full Version : i need a dhal (lentil) recipe!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

twinkle
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I like soup made by:

chopping and frying one or two onions with a bit of chilli powder, and some ground cumin and coriander
Adding some vegetable stock and lentils
cooking for about 15 minutes then adding some cauliflower florets and coconut cream, cook until cauliflower is tender.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice before serving.

Lentil rissoles are nice and easy to make - my mum has a recipe which is basically fried onion, cooked mushed up red lentils, breadcrumbs and lots of fresh herbs of your choice. mix it all together, make it into rissole/burger shapes, coat in a little seasoned flour and fry up - they can easily be kept warm in the oven while you make other stuff as well.

harpy
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Hello - here's a simple one that you can make with any kind of lentils. It's nice with baked potatoes, pasta or just bread and salad. I don't normally bother with the vinegar.

1 cup lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped or sliced
2 bay leaves
pinch each of dried thyme and dried marjoram
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon tomato paste
2 cups red wine
1 1/2 cups water
salt
wine or sherry vinegar

Rinse the lentils well and cover them with hot water. Warm the olive oil in a saucepan and add the herbs. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions have begun to color. Stir in the tomato puree; then add the wine. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Drain the lentils and add them to the wine with the water, and lightly salt. Return to a boil; then lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. When the lentils are done add a dash of vinegar.

The soup with apricots sounds good - is kurkuma the same as turmeric?

Rvn
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks, I like these. They look pretty great, so this will be a red lentils weekend. :)

The soup with apricots sounds good - is kurkuma the same as turmeric?
Aye, I guess so, kurkuma is turmeric - actually I used curry powder. I guess next time I add some ginger and lemon, too.

bean
May 13th, 2007, 07:43 PM
What is a good substitute for garlic in a recipe? (Can't eat garlic)
Any non-garlic dahl recipes to share?

I had a wonderful non-garlic mung dal from our Wedge coop in Minneapolis. But, their delicious recipes are a secret.

I've been vegan for only 4 months and I absolutely love it!

bean
May 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Here's an easy lentil recipe that I love:

Green Lentil Soup

This lentil soup recipe is from Iltay. The list of ingredients may seem short, but that's the beauty of this recipe - simple and delightful.

* 2 cups green lentils, rinsed and picked over to remove debris
* 8 cups vegetable stock, or more as desired (2 1-qt boxes of Imagine brand)
* 2 bay leaves
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper (I love it with lots of pepper!)

Combine lentils, stock and bay leaves in the pot and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Remove the bay leaves, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve hot. Serves 4-6.

bean
May 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Looking for non-garlic dahl recipes.
What is a good garlic substitute or is one even needed?
Can you help me please? thank you!

Ruby Rose
May 14th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Have a Google for Jain recipes, which are made without garlic, onions and potatoes for religious reasons.

Here's a Jain site, but I didn't see a dhal recipe specifically on it: http://www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/jain.html

Haniska
May 15th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Hi bean! I would think that leek onion or shallot would be appropiate.

cvC
May 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM
If you want to investigate Indian recipes free of onion and garlic, then I suggest you google "vedic cuisine". I mainly follow the ancient pupils of Pythagorus in abstaining from beans and so on - I think that ancient Egyptian priests also abstained from them and peanuts are incidentally a legume - but there are two "dal" recipes on this page from the recipe section of a Hare Krishna site:

http://www.iskconbangalore.org/contents/recipes/rajastani.asp#mooli

This is from an interesting article I saw about garlic (and other plants of the alliaceous family) a while ago and which appears to give scientific backing to the warnings of Indian and Taoist sages about it:

"Garlic is toxic to humans because its sulphone hydroxyl ions penetrate the blood-brain barrier and are poisonous to brain cells.(1) For precisely the same reason the garlic family of plants has been widely recognized as being harmful to dogs.(2)
As far back as the 1950s it was known that garlic reduced reaction time by two to three times when consumed by pilots taking flight tests. This is because the toxic effects of garlic desynchronize brain waves."

http://www.rense.com/general76/Dpi.htm

bean
May 15th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Thank you Haniska!

Catie
May 30th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I thought this would probably be the best place to ask rather than starting a new thread.

I went to an indian resturant the other day and had some really good dhal. It was really thin and quite brown in colour, I've ben trying to recreate it but all the recipes I've tried have given me a sort of spicy mush where the lentils break down but they taste really starchy and heavy.

So I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for a dhal that comes out really thin or knows what type of lentils I should be using to get a nice bown dhal.

Thanks!

bean
Aug 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Thank you to both cvC and Ruby Rose for your reply and excellent links! Your input is appreciated. Regards, Bean

fondducoeur
Apr 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I just made the red lentil dahl stickydate posted at the beginning of this thread. It was excellent:)

twist
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:20 AM
this is a recipe I use for simple lentil curry.

1 cup of lentils
1-2 teaspoon curry powder
veg stock
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 onion

firstly put the lentils in a seperate pan after rinsing to cook, then as that's happening...

1) chop the onion and crush the garlic, gently warm in some olive oil
2) add the curry powder
3) stir for a few minutes, add a little veg stock just to keep the pan moist.
4) then once the lentils are almost cooked, drain (rinse again if required) and add to the onions, garlic and curry powder.
5) add some more stock until lentils are covered, and continue to cook down until the curry is at a consistency you like.

This is one of my favourite and quickest meals- lovely served with wholegrain rice and salad, or roasted vegetables.

Festered
Jul 15th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I do that but minus the garlic, and add roast veggies , tinned tomatoes and a'meat substitute' or soya mince, to make curry.

penhaligon
Jul 24th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I made a Tagine with mine (= it was tasty- I used a recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance but changed the ingredients a bit, added sweet potato and peppers.

Roxy
Jul 29th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I like soup made by:

chopping and frying one or two onions with a bit of chilli powder, and some ground cumin and coriander
Adding some vegetable stock and lentils
cooking for about 15 minutes then adding some cauliflower florets and coconut cream, cook until cauliflower is tender.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice before serving.

Lentil rissoles are nice and easy to make - my mum has a recipe which is basically fried onion, cooked mushed up red lentils, breadcrumbs and lots of fresh herbs of your choice. mix it all together, make it into rissole/burger shapes, coat in a little seasoned flour and fry up - they can easily be kept warm in the oven while you make other stuff as well.

This soup sounds really nice Twinkle. I think I might give that a go.

herbwormwood
Jul 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
this is a recipe I use for simple lentil curry.

1 cup of lentils
1-2 teaspoon curry powder
veg stock
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 onion

firstly put the lentils in a seperate pan after rinsing to cook, then as that's happening...

1) chop the onion and crush the garlic, gently warm in some olive oil
2) add the curry powder
3) stir for a few minutes, add a little veg stock just to keep the pan moist.
4) then once the lentils are almost cooked, drain (rinse again if required) and add to the onions, garlic and curry powder.
5) add some more stock until lentils are covered, and continue to cook down until the curry is at a consistency you like.

This is one of my favourite and quickest meals- lovely served with wholegrain rice and salad, or roasted vegetables.

I use red lentils in a lot of my curries, I just add whatever vegetables are around. If you have access to creamed coconut or coconut milk its extra nice.

Roxy
Aug 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
I love coconut milk in curries!

BeansnLens
May 21st, 2010, 03:57 PM
boil 400 grams brown lentils and cool.
saute onion, garlic, ginger with lemon juice
add spices as desired. I like ethiopian spice mix with yellow curry and chilli powder. add a tablespoon baking powder or egg replacer. Use oil to control consistency. Once you are able to make small 4.5 cm wide patties turn skillet with small amount of oil to medium heat. fry until golden. enjoy with salsa or soygurt.

fondducoeur
May 22nd, 2010, 03:00 AM
Yum. I love lentils, and this sounds like a tasty way to enjoy them:)
What is in your ethiopian spice mix?

Kitteh
May 22nd, 2010, 06:03 AM
Sounds delicious!

BeansnLens
May 25th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Im not sure....I will try to find out what exactly is in the Ethiopian spice mix and re-post.

Kimberlily1983
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:34 AM
I love coconut milk in curries!

Me, too! :D Yum...

And I love red lentils...

Cumin
Aug 16th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I was surprised there had been no new recipe threads in this section this year, so I thought I would add one of my favourites.
Unlike traditional haggis which is cooked in a bag (of entrails - yeuck), this needs to be baked in a good stout dish (e.g. porcelain, pyrex, iron) with a lid. Although it seems a little complicated, it's worth doing the separate parts as described to get the correct texture.

Ingredients:
4oz porridge oats
4oz mixed chopped almonds and cashews
2oz vegan margerine (e.g. pure organic)
1 large carrot
2oz Red + 2oz Green Lentils - OR - 4oz mushrooms - OR - a bit of each to make up 4oz. (Will work OK with pretty much any lentil combination)
1 large onion
can of kidney beans
2oz veg suet
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
juice of 1/2 lemon (or 1 des spoon)
1 teaspoon each of sage, thyme and basil

Process:
1. Cook lentils in water for 40mins. If you start with approx double the volume of water to lentils then you
should have a small amount of water left at the end. This will be very tasty so is important for the haggis.

2. Toast chopped nuts in a frying pan for 5-10mins

3. Melt 1/2 marg in heavy pan. Add oats and nuts and suet, stir and cook over medium heat for 3 mins.
Transfer to a bowl.

4. Chop carrot, mushrooms (if using them) and onion in food processor. Finely copped but not to a mush.
Then add kid beans and chop briefly so not chopped too small.

5. Melt other half marg in a pan, added chopped mixture, stir and cook for 2 mins over medium heat.
Gently frying all together.

6. Add herbs, pepper, juice. Stir and cook for further minute.
Make sure pepper is well distributed through mixture.

7. Add oat + nut mixture, plus lentils (if using them). Mix well and cook for further 5 mins.
Should have consistency of stuffing or very thick porridge.

8. Transfer to preheated oven proof dish (e.g. pyrex) with lid and cook in oven at 180-200 for 40 mins.

Should go brown and slightly crispy around the sides and top when cooked.

Nice served with Steamed Cabbage and veggy gravy.