PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Ireland

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

Barry
May 2nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
Unfortunately I'm working in the UN archives in New York then - bugger!

Hopefully the next time...

hedgehoglovely
May 2nd, 2012, 10:53 PM
Where is the meet-up Blueberries? I can't seem to find it

Blueberries
May 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM
@hedgehog Its on the 'Vegan Ireland' facebook page, the venue hasn't been decided yet, they just say Dublin.

@Barry, that's well cool! NY must be full of great vegan stuff!

Barry
May 3rd, 2012, 06:46 AM
@hedgehog Its on the 'Vegan Ireland' facebook page, the venue hasn't been decided yet, they just say Dublin.

@Barry, that's well cool! NY must be full of great vegan stuff!

Yeah, hopefully! It's my first time there, I really need to check out the America forum here and get some recommendations. I'm very much looking forward to it though.

Barry
May 9th, 2012, 03:31 PM
So it appears that Vegetopia in the Epicurean Food Hall had closed down. It's certainly a pity to see another veggie place go down (particularly as quickly as vegetopia did), but it's absolutely no surprise. The food was just not good. This is such a big problem with veggie places in Dublin - their food is simply not good enough. Juice, Fresh* and now Vegetopia have no-one to blame but themselves.

Why would I go to any of the aforementioned when I could go to any number of Dublin's fine Indian restaurants, or The Cedar Tree, or the Chinese places on Parnell street, and get better vegetarian food there? There's a reason why Cornucopia is the only one still standing - its food is actually nice!

It sucks that pure veggie dining options have been reduced by 75% in the past year, but there's a valuable lesson to be learned for anyone considering starting a new veggie restaurant - focus on the food!

*In fairness to Fresh, they had started to improve quite a bit in their last six months of business, but it was too little too late.

Blueberries
May 9th, 2012, 06:59 PM
So it appears that Vegetopia in the Epicurean Food Hall had closed down.

Wow that was quick!

Why would I go to any of the aforementioned when I could go to any number of Dublin's fine Indian restaurants, or The Cedar Tree, or the Chinese places on Parnell street, and get better vegetarian food there?

I like the Cedar Tree :D. Can you recommend any specific Indian & Chinese places?

Barry
May 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Wow that was quick!

I like the Cedar Tree :D. Can you recommend any specific Indian & Chinese places?

Jaipur (Indian) has a pretty limited veggie section and is very expensive, but serves terrific food. Madina is lovely for Dosas and Uttapams and the like. I actually don't remember the name of the two Chinese/Asian places I really like on Parnell street! One of them has a very extensive tofu section though, and they can make a huge portion of the menu veggie/vegan on request. I'll get back to you with that name, it's really bugging me now that I can't remember it.

Edit: It's not a restaurant, but if you're near the D7 area, Namaste is a terrific Indian takeaway.

hedgehoglovely
May 25th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Blueberries I got your email and I sent you an email back. Just thought I'd let you know in case you don't check your email :)

Blueberries
May 25th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Blueberries I got your email and I sent you an email back. Just thought I'd let you know in case you don't check your email :)

Replied :D

Blueberries
Jun 27th, 2012, 03:59 PM
For any Dublin based vegans, I noticed today that the Asia Market on Drury St in the city centre has a new range of soya based vegetarian meats from Malaysia that appear to be vegan. They have chicken, cod, ribs, satay and mutton. I bought some of the mutton as it is 60% mushroom which sounds nice. It was only €2.95 which isn't bad, I'll report back about whether is was nice or not once I've tried it. They have tofu, mock duck, this new range, even natto but I still haven't found tempeh! I know I can get it in health food shops but its expensive.

Barry
Jun 27th, 2012, 06:54 PM
For any Dublin based vegans, I noticed today that the Asia Market on Drury St in the city centre has a new range of soya based vegetarian meats from Malaysia that appear to be vegan. They have chicken, cod, ribs, satay and mutton. I bought some of the mutton as it is 60% mushroom which sounds nice. It was only €2.95 which isn't bad, I'll report back about whether is was nice or not once I've tried it. They have tofu, mock duck, this new range, even natto but I still haven't found tempeh! I know I can get it in health food shops but its expensive.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I'll check this out tomorrow. The Asian Market is my favourite shop in Dublin but the tempeh availability there is completely random. They didn't have any for months last year, but every time I've been there recently it's been overflowing from the shelves.

Blueberries
Jun 27th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I'll check this out tomorrow. The Asian Market is my favourite shop in Dublin but the tempeh availability there is completely random. They didn't have any for months last year, but every time I've been there recently it's been overflowing from the shelves.

I've never seen it there, which shelf should I look at in case of sudden overflow?

Barry
Jun 27th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I've never seen it there, which shelf should I look at in case of sudden overflow?

You know where the fresh tofu is? It's really close to that. To be honest, if it's there you'll see it!

Blueberries
Jun 28th, 2012, 11:44 PM
You know where the fresh tofu is? It's really close to that. To be honest, if it's there you'll see it!

I guess they don't have it in then :(. On another note I tried the 'mutton' pieces, they were nice, savoury, mushroomy and not to chewy. I'll have to try some of the other ones.

Blueberries
Jul 20th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Finally found tempeh in the Asian market on Drury street (it only took me 4 years! :P ). There were only a few left so I think you must have gotten in before me, Barry! :P

Barry
Jul 20th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Hooray!

It's such good value there - you really get a lot of tempeh for your money.

Blueberries
Jul 20th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Hooray!

It's such good value there - you really get a lot of tempeh for your money.

You do! I got 2 400g bars of tempeh for about the price of 1 thing of frozen health-food shop tempeh, I was well pleased with myself :D

Barry
Oct 7th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Stumbled across a restaurant today that should be of interest to any vegans in Galway - The Quay Street Kitchen http://www.facebook.com/TheQuayStreetKitchen

Almost half the menu is vegan, and is clearly marked as such. It's a lovely little place with a great atmosphere and attentive friendly staff. I had tofu 'fish' and chips and my my other half had the vegan breakfast. My tofu 'fish' was quite nice - tofu wrapped in nori and beer battered, it was served with vegan tartar sauce, which was a nice touch. The chips were fairly meh though, they were clearly frozen and not homemade. The vegan breakfast was ok, they used redwoods 'bacon', and there was falafel, beans, mushrooms and spinach. My OH thought it was a bit dry. The food wasn't amazing or anything, and there's definitely room for improvement, but still, it's good that there's a place in Galway that specifically caters to vegans now, and as I said, it really is a nice place with a very friendly, relaxed atmosphere. I'd be interested in going back to try the dinner menu.

jibber
Oct 11th, 2012, 11:57 AM

The satay skewers are yumarama! The `chicken` bits are ok to chuck in a stir fry. Will deffo be going back for more skewers!

Barry
Jan 24th, 2013, 02:34 PM
A new vegan cafe has opened up in Dublin, here's the facebook link http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lurve-Fabulous-Vegan-Food/215260945255690?ref=ts&fref=ts

I might try it this evening, so I'll report back.

Barry
Jan 25th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Went to the new cafe last night. It was ok. I had a spinach cutlet with rice, carrot, coleslaw and garlic sauce. My OH had potato pancakes with the same salads. The food was fairly tasty, particularly the pancake, but it was padestrian enough stuff. The cafe itself is extremely cramped and is a bit uncomfortable beause of it. It was pretty busy, which was nice to see.

Might wait a few weeks to go back cause they're only in their first week and they're obviously having some teething problems (e.g they didn't have a cash register!). I'm sure it'll improve as time goes on.

Paragon
Jan 26th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Stumbled across a restaurant today that should be of interest to any vegans in Galway - The Quay Street Kitchen http://www.facebook.com/TheQuayStreetKitchen

Almost half the menu is vegan, and is clearly marked as such. It's a lovely little place with a great atmosphere and attentive friendly staff. I had tofu 'fish' and chips and my my other half had the vegan breakfast. My tofu 'fish' was quite nice - tofu wrapped in nori and beer battered, it was served with vegan tartar sauce, which was a nice touch. The chips were fairly meh though, they were clearly frozen and not homemade. The vegan breakfast was ok, they used redwoods 'bacon', and there was falafel, beans, mushrooms and spinach. My OH thought it was a bit dry. The food wasn't amazing or anything, and there's definitely room for improvement, but still, it's good that there's a place in Galway that specifically caters to vegans now, and as I said, it really is a nice place with a very friendly, relaxed atmosphere. I'd be interested in going back to try the dinner menu.

Wish I had known about that place when I was there last year, the week before the races. Thanks for the info.

Blueberries
Jan 27th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Went to the new cafe last night. It was ok. I had a spinach cutlet with rice, carrot, coleslaw and garlic sauce. My OH had potato pancakes with the same salads. The food was fairly tasty, particularly the pancake, but it was padestrian enough stuff. The cafe itself is extremely cramped and is a bit uncomfortable beause of it. It was pretty busy, which was nice to see.

Might wait a few weeks to go back cause they're only in their first week and they're obviously having some teething problems (e.g they didn't have a cash register!). I'm sure it'll improve as time goes on.

I heard about the café through the internet vegan grapevine, it's nice to know that there are new options popping up in Dublin, will have to try it the next time I'm home! It got a good review here :http://vegiandvegandublin.tumblr.com/post/41285670036/lurvevegandublin

Turtle.. thatisall
Jun 16th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Hi,
Not sure where to post this exactly but does anyone know of a room to rent or artist studio in Ireland for the next 3 months or so? Vegan preferably but will do vegetarian houseshare as well. Budget is €200 -€300 a month. Nothing coming up on sites etc. Thanks a mil : )

Barry
Jun 16th, 2013, 12:36 PM
What part of Ireland Turtle? You'll have to be a bit more specific! :p

Have you checked Daft.ie yet? If not, it's the best resource for finding a place in Ireland. You should also check out the veggie and vegan section on Boards.ie.

Being perfectly honest however, I don't think that your chances of finding such a place are great. I don't know of any fully vegetarian houseshares in Galway (where I'm from) or Dublin (where I live). Best of luck though, and let me know if it works out!