PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Ireland

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Soy
Jan 19th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Hi everybody.
I'm a 18 year old French vegan girl , and I'm gonna go to Cork as an aupair in two or three weeks and.. as you can guess, I'm completely alone (I only know an English vegan from Hull.. so.. that's very far from Cork).
It would be great to meet other vegans :)
Thank you. Don't hesitate to send me a message.

pavotrouge
Jan 26th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Cork is full of awesome alternative people... no real vegetarian/vegan places though- are you on Couchsurfing?

Barry
Jan 26th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Cork is full of awesome alternative people... no real vegetarian/vegan places though- are you on Couchsurfing?

I think you forgot about Cafe Paradiso. It's considered to be the best vegetarian restaurant in the country.

Soy
Jan 26th, 2010, 10:31 PM

No, I'm not yet. But I'm gonna create an account since I've heard good about this website. Why are you asking me that ?

pavotrouge
Jan 28th, 2010, 05:24 PM
there's a Vegetarian and Vegan CS group, as well as the Cork group full of lovely people from around there.

@Barry: I haven't been to Cafe Paradiso yet! How did I miss it? Hrmph, omni girlfriend and all that...

Barry
Jan 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM
there's a Vegetarian and Vegan CS group, as well as the Cork group full of lovely people from around there.

@Barry: I haven't been to Cafe Paradiso yet! How did I miss it? Hrmph, omni girlfriend and all that...

I actually haven't been there myself, I'm just going on the rave reviews I've heard. Hopefully we'll both make it there someday!

pavotrouge
Jan 31st, 2010, 12:19 PM
had a look at the website and they've been hit hard by the flooding so they were closed for quite some time :/ I hope I can make it up there around Easter.

Barry
Feb 18th, 2010, 06:14 PM
There's a relatively new Asian restaurant called Miso in Galway, and it does an AMAZING Thai green curry that's fish free, which is very difficult to find in this part of the world. Well worth a look if anyone's ever in Galway

pavotrouge
Feb 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM
... sounds great, might pop in for the Easter weekend trip :) I have been offered a free car ride through parts of Ireland I haven't been to yet (west and north western coastal parts).

Mollfie
Mar 17th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I'm going to Dublin soon for a few days with my boyfriend (who is trying to be veggie) and my mum (omni), and I'm vegan. What a great mix lol.

Can anyone recommend places to eat out in Dublin?

Barry
Mar 18th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Most of the places already mentioned in this thread are still going and they're all worth a shout. Cornucopia is fantastic in my opinion, perfect for a nice lunch. In the epicurian food hall there's a super cheap indian buffet and all the veggie food there is vegan. Govinda's is ok, it's cheap and you get loads of food. Dublin is dead easy to be vegan in to be honest, most restaurants, in my experience, should be able to sort you out. Oh yeah, Milano's is great for pizza. Have fun!

Mollfie
Mar 19th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Thank you! I'm going to make a list to take with me so we can find places. Luckily my mum is super easy when it comes to food and more than happy to eat vegetarian or vegan.

Blueberries
Mar 20th, 2010, 08:15 PM
If anyone's interested in information about being a vegan in Ireland I blog about it here at http://veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

DavidT
Apr 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Barry

The Limerick/Ennis/Galway train is now up and running, so we're going to hop on it tomorrow, Easter Saturday. We'll check out what happens when we mention the word 'vegan' (in whatever restaurant we go in, not on the train!).

Barry
Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Excellent! My personal favourite restaurant at the moment is Da Tang Noodle House. Try the pan fried noodles with tofu and greens if you go there.

DavidT
Apr 2nd, 2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks Barry. Where is it? I'll have to see what 'herself' fancies!

Personally I like the sound of La Salsa.

Barry
Apr 2nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
La Salsa is pretty good, it is fairly cheap and cheerful and although they have a vegan burrito (and can veganise pretty much any menu item) you have to stress the vegan part strongly, Fiona got a big mouthfull of cheese last time we were there! The chips are excellent as well. Da Tang is on Middle Street (I think!), it runs parallel to Shop St. and is across the road from Charlie Byrnes bookshop and Milano, if you don't know either of them anyone in Galway will be able to direct you to them. This train service is looking pretty useful isn't it...

Mollfie
Apr 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
The best place I went to was Chameleon in Temple Bar, Dublin. They're Indonesian and do it like tapas with lots of little bowls. They are popular though so you might need to make a reservation. We went in at 6pm though on Thursday and got a table for 3 no problem. Anyway, they have a vegetarian menu of 8 dishes, but I explained that I'm vegan and they changed everything to vegan for me! It was the best meal I've ever eaten out. Seriously. Bit pricey, but worth it.

Barry
Apr 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
That sounds really good Mollfie, I'm going to check it out next week. I'm pretty sure that I know the restaurant you're talking about. Was it very pricey? That's the problem with Temple Bar, they charge extortionate prices for what is, very often, extremely average food.

Mollfie
Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
They do set menus which each have their own price, the vegetarian menu was about 27.50 I think? Not including drinks etc.

DavidT
Apr 3rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
The train service is brilliant, Barry.

We ended up snacking at Food for Thought, which was really nice food (vegan shepherd's pie - I wonder who the shepherd was?) but the radio! Some sport commentary blasting away. It was quieter outside in the street!

Still, lovely day out in Galway, which is a beautiful city and has a truly excellent open air market and plenty of pedestrianised areas - though never enough for me: boot all traffic out of towns and cities and only allow small electric delivery vans and disableds' traffic.

bellybuddha
Apr 5th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Hello, am flying to Shannon and staying in Doolin next weekend and would like some help in terms of where supermarkets are in relation to Doolin and where to eat that's vegan friendly. DavidT I've emailed you, hope you received it. But any other help from others would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Barry, have taken list of your recommended restaurants and health food shoppie in Galway thanks.

seamus
Apr 5th, 2010, 11:19 AM
natural food bakery in Cork City is good.
quay co op is ok.
cafe paradiso is dairy heavy however.

DavidT
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Barry, have taken list of your recommended restaurants and health food shoppie in Galway thanks.

I was in Evergreen Wholefoods in Mainguard Street, Galway and, to be honest, thought I was in a chemist's. :sad: The Saturday open market had much more in the way of 'health' foods.

For wholefood shops in this area, you can't beat Meanwell Wholefoods in Ennis and Kilrush and The Grainey in Scariff. There's another one near Meanwell in Ennis called Open Sesame which is a tad expensive.

bellybuddha
Apr 19th, 2010, 07:58 AM
davidt and barry, thanks for all your help and tips and places to go in Ireland. We had a great time there and especially the wonderful weather.
We found lots of health food shops dotted about the place and there's a fantastic health food shop in Kinvara and another in Killkoe as well that also does brilliant wooden toys. Although at the time we went they were closed until 2pm. Probably lunch hour. But we also stumbled across a lovely bakery and cafe in Killkoe where they do really yummy houmous. Unfortunetly that's really all I could eat from there. We also spent a day in Galway. Air bard was closed on the day we went though so couldn't try anything there. But we did find food for thought though and kind of wished we waited until we got to the quay. The food wasn't that great and the in laws ordered baked potato which was tiny with even tinier amount of filling. Whilst I had the vegan shepards pie. I quite enjoyed it but it wasn't heated up enough and quite a tiny portion for the price. other than that we just made packed lunches everywhere we went. We almost went to these lovely homely stonecutters family restaurants that are dotted around county Clare as they do veggie meals as well and they were very open to dietary requirements. I was soooo looking forward to their beanburger but unfortunetly my hubby didn't feel so well that evening and so ended up cancelling. But we did stop by for afternoon tea and I had their gorgeous blood orange sorbet yum!
So again thanks barry and DavidT for your help. We really enjoyed Ireland and no doubt we will be back.