PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Ireland

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Blueberries
Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:29 PM
I definitely would be up for it Blueberries. I'm a bit swamped at the minute though, I was away for christmas and now I'm catching up on about a months worth of work!

Also, are there any other Dubliners who use this forum?

That's grand, no bother! I think there are another one or two lurking around...

Gwydion
Jan 23rd, 2012, 08:43 PM
You guys will just have to come to London and make it a big one instead :p

diy-girlie
Jan 23rd, 2012, 09:02 PM
I'm living in Dublin!!

Blueberries
Jan 23rd, 2012, 09:48 PM
I'm living in Dublin!!

See Barry, there are others :p. You up for a meetup sometime diy-girlie?

DavidT
Jan 24th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Too far for me; I'm in Clare. But take it from me, it's worth forming/joining a veggie group - I've made some absolutely gorgeous friends, lovely people, and eaten some quite amazing food, since the group started here.

Life as a vegan (and to a lesser extent as a veggie) can be lonely in Ireland; there's defo. strength in numbers.

Good luck to youse.

DavidT
Jan 25th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hi guys again

Our county Clare veggie group is having a meeting, sorry, gathering on Thurs 2nd Feb 2012 in Shannon Tandoori, Skycourt Shopping Centre, Shannon. It is an Indian restaurant and they are very happy to accommodate vegans and use veg ghee or vegetable oil for cooking instead of the butter ghee.

Posting here may not generate any more numbers directly for our group but please keep us in mind!! http://clareveggroup.blogspot.com/

diy-girlie
Feb 2nd, 2012, 07:54 PM
Sorry Blueberries I'm only seeing your reply now. Sounds good :-)

Blueberries
Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Sorry Blueberries I'm only seeing your reply now. Sounds good :-)

Good, good :D. All when're all the Dubs and people within travelling distance of Dublin up for a meetup? I'm terrible of organising things :umm_ani:

DavidT
Feb 3rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
We had a good night in Shannon Tandoori on the 2nd February 2012 - nine people there, including a new face. We get anything between 2 and 22 at these gatherings and there is always someone new to us, so the actual number of veggies/vegans in Clare is encouraging; they can't always make it out to the gatherings of course.

The chef looked after us with plenty of vegan food - he just provided a selection of starters and mains and we dug in. There was a kind of lentil dahl soup which everyone liked. I thought his chana dhal (chick peas) was gorgeous. There were two kinds of rice, a mixed curry and an aloo gobi (potatoes and cauliflower). Two big platters of fresh fruit finished the meal nicely.

The only complaint was the temperature of the room - it had been an icy day and we arrived at seven, the only ones in the place, so it's somewhat understandable.

Anyway, one more place to add to the (very short) list of vegan-friendly places in county Clare.

We're going to visit a restaurant in Ennis next month, called The Dining Room; veggies who have visited have said they're very responsive.

If you hear of any other groups round Ireland meeting in restaurants, tell them to post their experiences here and on the various 'ratings' sites, eg Trip Advisor.

niallmc
Feb 3rd, 2012, 08:43 PM
I'm in Dublin too - it seems that we have lost 2 veggie spots recently - Juice and fresh.

Barry
Feb 3rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
That sounds great David, I'm delighted (and slightly surprised!) that you're getting such large numbers.

Hey Niall. It's a shame that veggie places are closing down alright, although I can't say I'm surprised about either Juice or Fresh. I never liked the food in Juice, in fact I've always viewed it as the kind of place that gives veggie food a bad name, stuff there was always poorly cooked. Fresh is a different matter, while the hot meals weren't great, the salad bar, soups and the sambos were all pretty decent. It was in a terrible spot stuck in the corner at the top of Powerscourt though, it did poor business compared to Cornucopia - a place with broadly the same type of food.

According to a post on Boards there's a new fully vegan place opening in the city centre soon. Not sure if that information can be completely trusted though (like most posts/posters on Boards).

Blueberries
Feb 4th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I'm in Dublin too - it seems that we have lost 2 veggie spots recently - Juice and fresh.

Hi NiallMc, didn't realise you were in Dublin too, how do you feel about a Dublin forum meet-up sometime? :D

I didn't know that Café Fresh has closed down too, I just saw their cookbook in Hoggis Figgis. Although I must admit that I've never eaten there, I went a couple of times yonks ago to look at their menu and always felt like they were staring at me as I was trying to read the board, made me really uncomfortable!
I liked Juice, not all of their food was fantastic but I loved their tempeh-fried rice, and that they did vegan ice-cream.

I heard on Facebook ages ago about an all-vegan place opening in Dublin but I don't know where/when. Any news about it Barry? Also has anyone been to Deli O'Dehli on Moore St? Its all vegetarian with vegan stuff marked, I got 2 onion bajis the size of my fist for €3!

Barry
Feb 4th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I used to get that same 'staff staring at you til you order thing' in Fresh too Blueberries! Used to really annoy me, sometimes you just want to left alone to browse a menu in peace...

I've no more news on the vegan place, just what I read on Boards.

I go to DOD regularly Blueberries. I usually get dosas, chole or pakora. The food is very authentic, it's the stuff regular Indian people eat every day but we rarely get here. Very reasonably priced too, which is a bonus!

DavidT
Feb 5th, 2012, 12:15 PM
That sounds great David, I'm delighted (and slightly surprised!) that you're getting such large numbers.

I thought they were low...:satisfied: Still, there are a lot of closet veggies around generally. I think people like to keep a low profile and it's something that we're trying to change. It is not easy going into a previously un-tried eatery and declaring you're vegetarian, let alone vegan! You have to love chips and salad...

According to a post on Boards there's a new fully vegan place opening in the city centre soon. Not sure if that information can be completely trusted though (like most posts/posters on Boards).

That could be Shay Leon's place. He's a recording engineer in Kylebrack, Loughrea who's been to one of our meetings and brought great food. He was looking for investors at the time and said he had a place lined up in Temple Bar. :rollseyes_ani: I hope it turns into a chain!

Scroogle his place (shaystudio I think) if you want to e-mail him, to encourage him or even invest. Nice fellah.

Barry
Feb 5th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I think I did a recording with him about ten years ago! He was just putting things together at the time if I recall correctly, and he was trying to drum up business so he did a few bands (including mine) for free. Small world.

DavidT
Feb 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Cool. Small world. I heard of him when a book of music I was doing was having CDs included - recorded at his place. Veganism and music, can't beat it.

KayJay
Feb 6th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hi guys - I'm popping over to Dublin with work soon and with my omni colleague - can anyone recomend somewhere for us to eat that will cater for us both? Thanks.

Blueberries
Feb 6th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hi guys - I'm popping over to Dublin with work soon and with my omni colleague - can anyone recomend somewhere for us to eat that will cater for us both? Thanks.

Heya Kayjay, will you be in the city centre? Good options in the city centre are Cornucopia (Wicklow st), Café Irie (Temple bar), Itsa Bagel (Abbey st), Deli O'Dehli (Moore st), Yamamori (George's st & Ha'penny bridge), Cedar tree (Andrew's lane)... I'm sure the other Dubs on the forum can offer other suggestions. For specific directions to some of those restaurants check Happy Cow. :D

KayJay
Feb 9th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks Blueberries - will be staying at the maldron hotel in Cardiff lane, so closest to there would be fab x

Barry
Feb 9th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Dublin is relatively small KayJay, so all those places are within walking distance of each other in the city centre. Blueberries recommendations are spot on; out of the ones she recommended, I'd say that the Cedar Tree is a very safe choice to satisfy both vegans and omnis, there's plenty of choice for both.

DavidT
Feb 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Hi everyone

ClareVegGroup (http://clareveggroup.blogspot.com/) are having their next gathering on Thursday 1st March 2012, 7 for 7:30 in the The Dining Room, in the market area, Ennis, Co. Clare.

The staff have forwarded us a menu which sounds delicious!

We would welcome new faces to our gathering, so think about it if you are within travelling distance - car sharing might be worth investigating.

Please pass this information on to anyone who might be interested.

Regards
David

KayJay
Feb 10th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Thank u Barry much appreciated - looking forward to sampling the Irish vegan fayre :)

Barry
Feb 10th, 2012, 06:16 PM
No worries :thumbsup: Hope you have fun!

Barry
Feb 11th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I'm going to Chameleon tomorrow night for vegan rijst-tafel and to say that I'm excited is an understatement!

Blueberries
Feb 11th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I'm going to Chameleon tomorrow night for vegan rijst-tafel and to say that I'm excited is an understatement!

Where's Chameleon and what's rijst-tafel? I'm curious now!