PDA

View Full Version : The friendly recipe competition

catmogg
Mar 9th, 2006, 11:24 PM
:D Ok, some of you culinary experts on the forum need a real challenge....This is ready steady cook for vegans. Heres how it could work. People propose some ingredients and or something they would like to make and you come up with the recipies. A deadline is set for each competition and people have to vote for the winning recipie.People vote my posting a smilie next to the name of the forumer whose recipie they like best. We then start a new thread called winning recipies...

It will be fun, methinks....give it a try.

Ok

My challenge is for you to come up with a recipie using these ingredients...:D GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

bread
dried morello cherries
strawberry jam
peanut butter
green and blacks chocolate
vegan marshmallows
vegan vanilla ice cream
crystallised ginger
cinnamon

um yes, they'e my favourite foods. :o

Deadline March 16th 12.00pm.

Cherry
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:00 AM
I like it :)

Although may have to miss out the marshmallows (cos they're hard to get and expensive) and the ginger (cos it's yucky :D )

:)

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 10th, 2006, 07:09 AM
it's a really good idea. let me get it right though. are people coming up with a recipe that includes all the listed ingredients? any combination of the listed ingredients we choose? or a seperate recipe for each listed ingredient?

Miel Miette
Mar 10th, 2006, 07:20 AM
I'm voting for combo of any as not everyone has access to all these ingredients. Well.. it's not my competition but that's what I want the OP to go for!

Seaside
Mar 10th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Catmogg's Fire and Ice Sarnie

2 slices bread
1 tbsp dried morello cherries, finely minced
1/4 c strawberry jam
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 bar green and blacks chocolate, frozen and shattered into tiny pieces
vegan marshmallows
vegan vanilla ice cream
1 tbsp crystallised ginger, finely minced
1/4 tsp cinnamon

To the strawberry jam, add the cherries, ginger, and cinnamon, mix well. Spread peanut butter on one slice of bread, then jam mixture, top with broken chocolate and marshmallow, and then the other slice of bread. Place this into one of those sandwich grilling machines that toasts and seals the concoction, and serve piping hot with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream. Garnish with a few pieces of chocolate and ginger. :D

Seaside
Mar 10th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Catmogg's Spicy Strawberry Trifle

2 slices soft, fluffy bread
1 tbsp dried morello cherries, finely minced
1/4 c strawberry jam
2 tbsp peanut butter
vegan marshmallows
vegan vanilla ice cream
1 tbsp crystallised ginger, finely minced
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Small balloons

Inflate a few very small balloons, and melt chocolate in a double boiler. Dip the balloons in the chocolate, rolling them about to make sure they are 3/4 covered. Allow the first coat to harden, and repeat the process until the chocolate coating is thick. When hardened, gently prick the balloons to deflate, and remove them from your chocolate cups.

In a double boiler, melt the marshmallows, and add the peanut butter. Stir until smooth, and then add the ginger and the cinnamon. Mix well.

Tear the bread into pieces, and start layering the strawberry jam, bread, ice cream, and marshmallow sauce into your chocolate cups, topping it all off with the marshmallow sauce, and garnish with cherries. :D

RedWellies
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Seriously, Seaside, Would you eat that??:eek:

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:39 PM
unless i hear otherwise i am going to go ahead and make up a few using selected ingredients.

CHOCOLATE - CHERRY BREAD PUDDING

3 1/2 cups soy or rice milk
6 ounces high cocoa dark vegan chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
Ener-G Egg Replacer equivalent to 3 large eggs
8 ounces (about 10 slices) stale firm white bread, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup dried morello cherries
vegan vanilla ice cream

1. Oil 8" by 8" glass baking dish. In 1-quart saucepan, heat preferred milk to simmering over medium-high heat.
2. Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan, melt chocolates over low heat. Remove from heat; with fork or wire whisk, stir in sugar, vanilla, and salt, then egg replacer, until combined. Slowly whisk simmering milk into melted chocolate mixture until blended. Gently stir in bread. Let stand 20 minutes to allow bread to absorb milk mixture, stirring once.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Pour bread mixture into baking dish; sprinkle with cherries. Cover with foil and bake pudding 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center of pudding comes out almost clean. Cool on wire rack 20 minutes to serve warm with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:04 AM
this one isn't made by me, i'm just trying to adapt it for the purpose of this contest. i typically think of cinnamon-chocolate as mexican, and ginger as asian, so this is like a liason between our two continents. we probably all had the original version as kids and loved it. i hope it is just as fun for adults. or those of you who have kids can serve it to their kids.

MEXICAN-FUSION FRIED ICE CREAM

1t ground cinnamon
1/2t cocoa powder
2T sugar
1/4c cornflake-type cereal crumbs
2 large scoops vanilla ice cream
candied ginger pieces, diced very small
agave syrup (optional)

Combine the cinnamon, cocoa powder and sugar in a wide, shallow bowl or plate. Separate 1/3 of the mixture into another bowl and mix with the cornflake-type cereal in another wide, shallow bowl or plate. place one large scoop of ice cream into the cinnamon-cocoa-sugar mix and roll it around until it is completely coated. next, move it to the cornflake mix and do the same. place it in a bowl, drizzle with a tiny bit of agave syrup, if desired, and sprinkle with bits of candied ginger.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:27 AM
CHOCOLATE CHERRY BREAD PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICHES

2 3/4 - 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 package active dry yeast
3/4 cup rice milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegan margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 mashed banana
1 tablespoon kirsch or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup broken vegan chocolate pieces
peanut butter
strawberry jam (optional)

In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 cup of the flour, the cocoa powder, and yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir the rice milk, sugar, margarine, and salt till mixture is warm (120 degrees F. to 130 degrees F.) and margarine is almost melted. Add to flour mixture. Add banana and 1 tablespoon kirsch or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in cherries, chocolate pieces, and as much of the remaining flour as you can.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double (about 2 hours).

Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Oil 2 large baking sheets. Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Shape each portion into a round or oblong loaf of equal size. Cover and let rise in a warm place till nearly double (about 1 hour). Score (make shallow slashes) tops of loaves and brush with additional rice milk. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F. oven for about 35 minutes, or till bread is a rich brown color and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from baking sheets; cool on racks.
Once cooled cut off two slices of bread, and spread with peanut butter and jelly, if desired, to make a sandwich.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:41 AM
i am really not fond of marshmallows or strawberry jam. i thought you might like to have this recipe to make your own marshmallows though, if you don't already, since Cherry said they are hard to get and expensive.
from this website: http://www.fatfree.com/archive/1997/dec/msg00278.html i got this recipe and information:

The marshmallows are amazingly soft and fresh-tasting. They aren't quite
as puffy as commerical ones, but they puff and brown when toasted and melt easily in liquid (can't wait to try them in hot chocolate or cocoa). I
think they'll make yummy s'mores with vegan chocolate and graham
crackers! I'm also thinking of cutting some of them into Xmas tree shapes
(triangles) and dipping them in chocolate for Xmas cookie/candy boxes.

This is not a difficult recipe, but you need an electric mixer to do it.
It will be a lot easier if you have a candy thermometer (fairly cheap in a
kitchen shop...I got mine at a grocery store for about $4). Also, don't
try this if you hate making messes! The "creme" is very sticky and hard to
scrape out of the bowl. I got it all over me!!

VEGAN MARSHMALLOWS
Makes about 1 3/4 lbs.

Put in the mixing bowl and let stand 1 hour:
3 tablespoons kosher veg gelatin (this is 3 packets of Emes)
1/2 cup water

In about 1/2 hour, begin to prepare a syrup. Place in a heavy pan over low
heat and stir until dissolved:
2 cups sugar (I used unbleached Florida Crystals which are naturally blonde)
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt

When the mixture start to boil, cover it about 3 minutes to allow any
crystals which have formed to be washed down from the sides of the pan.
Be careful, though, not to let the mixture boil over.
Continue to cook uncovered and unstirred over high heat to the firm-ball
stage (244 degrees F). Overcooking makes the marshmallows tough. Remove
the mixture from heat and pour slowly over the gelatin, beating constantly
with an electric mixer. Continue to beat about 15 minutes after all the syrup has been added. While beating, when the mixture is thick but still
smooth, add:
2 tablespoons vanilla extract.

Put the mixture into an 8 x 12 in pan that has been lightly dusted with
cornstarch. Dust the top with cornstarch and set aside. When it has
dried for 12 hours, remove it from the pan, cut it into square with
scissors dusted with cornstach, and store the fully dusted pieces in a
closed tin.

Possible variations: Add coconut extract instead of vanilla. pour into pan
coated with tasted coconut and roll cut pieces in toasted coconut instead
of cornstarch.

Use creme de menthe instead of vanilla for mint marshmallows.

Use other flavors/liquers (almond extract, orange, Kahlua, etc.) instead of
vanilla.

Cut marshmallows into shapes and dip in melted vegan chocolate.

Tint marshmallows with vegetable colors while beating the creme. Cut into
holiday shapes (especially nice for spring - Easter, etc.).

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:58 AM
also not mine, but wouldn't it be delicious to have one of these with a steamy glass of ginger tea? this is from http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=91

Gingerbread Cupcakes with Lemony Frosting
Submitted by Isa

prep time: 20 minutes | cooking time: 17-22 minutes | makes 12 cupcakes

Nothing says waiting for the holiday season to end like these moist, fluffy gingerbread cupcakes. Bring them to your holiday functions and eat them as you grit your teeth and marvel at your family.

Equipment:
12 cupcake tins and paper liners, 2 medium mixing bowls.

Ingredients
For the cupcakes
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup light molasses
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup soy milk
2 tablespoons soy yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest

For the frosting
1/4 cup soybean margarine
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 cup soymilk
juice of 1 lemon

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line tins with paper cupcake liners.
Sift together flour through salt.
Wisk together wet ingredients (oil through yogurt) until well emulsified.
Fold dry ingredients into wet, wisking to combine.
Fold in lemon peel and crystalized ginger.
Pour into tins, 2/3 of the way.
Bake 17 - 22 minutes, until top springs back when touched or a toothpick comes out clean.
When fully cooled frost them with frosting below.

Prepare the frosting
In a round bottom bowl cream margarine and shortening with a strong fork. This could take 5 minutes, to make sure they are thoroughly blended and smooth. Add sugar and mix, adding splashes of soymilk as you go along to make blending easier. Add lemon juice, and keep creaming away until everything is perfectly smooth. Refrigerate until cupcakes are ready for frosting.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:06 AM
i posted this on another thread for blueberry muffins, but i think that these changes would taste pretty darn good. these would also be great with hot ginger tea when you are feeling healthy.

this is my more dense muffin recipe from the Tassajara Bread Book:

WHOLE WHEAT DRIED FRUIT MUFFINS

2c whole wheat flour
3/4t salt
2t baking powder
1/4t ground cinnamon
1/8t ground cloves
1/8t fresh ground black pepper
1/4c dried apricots, diced
1/4c crystallized ginger slices, diced
1/4c almonds, soaked overnight & chopped
1/4c oil
1/4c molasses
2c rice or soy milk

preheat oven to 400 degrees. combine the dry ingredients. in a seperate bowl combine the wet ingredients. fold the wet ingredients and dry ingredients together with as few strokes as possible, just until the flour is moistened, leaving a few lumps. spoon into greased muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:26 AM
SWEET FRUITED QUINOA

1c dried quinoa
2c apple juice
1/4c dried morello cherries
1/4c dried apples, diced
1/8c crystallized ginger, diced
1/2t ground cinnamon

rinse quinoa a few times to remove bitter coating. put all ingredients in a pot and stir to mix. bring to a boil, uncovered. lower heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes. serve hot or cold with a drizzle of soy cream if desired.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:47 AM
this is a traditional west indian rice recipe that i thought would be good with the addition of the ginger, so it isn't really mine either.

SPICED CARMELIZED BASMATI RICE

1c brown basmati rice, rinsed and soaked overnight
3T vegetable oil
4t sugar
4-5 green cardamom pods, bruised
1in piece cinnamon stick
5-6 pieces crystallized ginger, diced
4 cloves
1 bay leaf, crumpled
1/2t salt
2c hot water

put rice in colander and leave to drain. in a large pan heat the oil over medium heat. when the oil is hot add the sugar and wait until it is carmelized. reduce heat to low and add the spices and bay leaf. let sizzle for about 15-20 seconds, then add the rece and salt. fry gently, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. pour in the water and bring to the boil steadily for 2 minutes then reduce the heat to very low. cover the pan and cook for 8 minutes. remove the rice from the heat and let it stand for 6-8 minutes. gently fluff up the rice wiht a fork and transfer to a warmed dish to serve.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Irish Spice Bread will keep moist for several days. In fact, the longer you keep the bread the better the flavor. this is another traditional recipe, almost like an irish panettone, that i veganised and added cherries & candied ginger to because i thought they would mesh well with the other flavors.

IRISH SPICE BREAD

1-1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons candied orange peel
2 tablespoons candied ginger
1/2 cup raisins, golden or plain
1/4 cup walnut oil
6 ounces (3/4 cup) light corn syrup
1/2 mashed banana
1/4 cup rice milk, room temperature

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease 2-pound loaf pan. Combine first 8 ingredients (flour through sugar) with a wire whisk. Stir in orange peel, raisins, and cherries. In a small bowl, combine rest of ingredients.
Add to dry ingredients. Stir to just combine. Do not over mix. Pour batter in pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
Note: One teaspoon pumpkin pie spice can be used instead of the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger.

catmogg
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Wow wow wow!!!! You people are ingenious!!!!!!!

Keep em coming. Its fine to just use some of the ingredients. I'm going to make some of these recipies tomorrow....

And come on folks, you have to start voting!!!!:D :D :D

catmogg
Mar 13th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Bump, c'mon guys...start voting!!

catmogg
Mar 14th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Bump bump bump!!

Cherry
Mar 14th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Ok Catmogg.

I would make cinnamon french toast with the bread and cinnamon, using vanilla soya milk.

I'd make a chocolate trifle by making choc cherry muffins from the chocolate and cherries, breaking them up, spreading with strawberry jam and topping with chocolate custard and tofu chocolate mousse, and marshmallows! And squirty vegan cream.

Then I'd do two sets of cookies - one peanut butter and one ginger (following chocolate chip cookie recipe but using the ginger instead), which I'd stick decoratively in a bowl of vanilla ice cream and drizzle chocolate sauce over the top.

I used all the ingredients :D Although you'd need a few other things as well.

catmogg
Mar 14th, 2006, 11:09 AM
OMG, thanks Cherry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to try allllllllllllllll these recipies. I've already made a few and it looks like i'll be making some more at the weekend.

Jane M
Mar 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Darn there Goodbyegirl! You got a lot of reallly great recipes!!!! Ok now where do I start???? Which one first????? Don't suppose you have one for a curried chickpea dish? One with tomatoes, mango powder and chilies???? Mine isn't quite as good as the restaraunt...needs nudging somehow....sigh...:rolleyes:

Jane M
Mar 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Irish Spice Bread will keep moist for several days. In fact, the longer you keep the bread the better the flavor. this is another traditional recipe, almost like an irish panettone, that i veganised and added cherries & candied ginger to because i thought they would mesh well with the other flavors.

IRISH SPICE BREAD

1-1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons candied orange peel
2 tablespoons candied ginger
1/2 cup raisins, golden or plain
1/4 cup walnut oil
6 ounces (3/4 cup) light corn syrup
1/2 mashed banana
1/4 cup rice milk, room temperature

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease 2-pound loaf pan. Combine first 8 ingredients (flour through sugar) with a wire whisk. Stir in orange peel, raisins, and cherries. In a small bowl, combine rest of ingredients.
Add to dry ingredients. Stir to just combine. Do not over mix. Pour batter in pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
Note: One teaspoon pumpkin pie spice can be used instead of the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger.

This one has my vote! It is almost St. Patricks Day and it will be great to serve. Sort of looks like brambrack. Verrrrrry Yummmyyyyyy stuff here!

Mr Flibble
Mar 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM
bread
dried morello cherries
strawberry jam
peanut butter
vegan marshmallows
vegan vanilla ice cream
crystallised ginger
cinnamon

um yes, they'e my favourite foods. :o

Simple really. I'd make the bread - German Stollen with the cherries, ginger, cinnamon, sultanas, candied peel, pistachios and marzipan. This i'd serve sliced with a scoop or 2 of home made vanilla icecream containing chocolate chip peanut butter cookie dough chunks and marshmallow. The jam of course wouldn't go with the other flavours (strawberry with cinnamon and ginger :eek: ), but you could have a pot on the side for dipping ;)

catmogg
Mar 14th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Stollen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeee stollen. :D