PDA

View Full Version : Peace Corps/Teach for America/AmeriCorps

Wishin986
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Has anyone been involved in any of the programs that Peace Corps, Teach for America, or AmeriCorps runs?

I am seriously considering going into the Peace Corps between college and law school and I'm really excited about it. I really would be willing to go anywhere - right now though my top choice regions would have to be Africa and the Pacific Islands. Has anyone done work with Peac Corps?

I originally wanted to apply to Teach for America after college. I still might apply to both and then decide. However, I feel that if I participate in Teach for America I should focus more on domestic issues whereas Peace Corps gives me more insight into the international issues that I want to work with. It would also give me a country and region to specialize my work in and really get to know that area.

Any thoughts or experiences having to do with any of these programs?

mophoto
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:56 AM
i have thought about it myself- do you have to know the language of the place you are going too?? i have always wondered.
have you looked into americorps?

Wishin986
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:03 AM
i have thought about it myself- do you have to know the language of the place you are going too?? i have always wondered.
have you looked into americorps?

I think I would rather learn a whole new language - otherwise I could always focus on the Latin American region because I'm fairly proficient in Spanish. Im pretty sure they give you an intense orientation where you learn the language intensively in the beginning to at least be able to get by and then over the next two and half years you become fluent and such.

I actually havn't looked into americorps much - I've looked on their site before - but my focus has mainly been divided between teach for america and peace corps