PDA

View Full Version : Animal products and diabetes

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

healthyvegan
Aug 11th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I am a type 2 diabetic who was taught to eat vegan to reverse the disease process. My mother was diabetic first and eating vegan with no processed foods (only a whole food plant based diet) and exercise got her off all her meds. So I have alot of confedience and actually have been vegan for years now I am adding the no processed foods and exercising. The weimar insitute teaches people what to eat. You can look them up. They have done major research.

Korn
Aug 13th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Vegan diet found to markedly improve health of diabetes patients (http://www.NaturalNews.com/019785.html)

mariana
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:10 AM
My grandfather, who has diabetes, heard this and decided to go vegan. He seemed a lot healthier to me--more energy, healthier-looking, etc. But he was losing a bit of weight (although he wasn't overweight, he could have stood to lose a couple of pounds anyway), and one of his nephews, who's a doctor convinced him that being vegan was bad for him. :mad: So he reverted back to being an omnivore. :( He told me once recently that he misses being a vegan, but I doubt he'll ever go back. However, now that he's gone back to being an omnivore and taking on some crazy diabetes diet his doctor recommended, he's losing more weight than ever and his health is going downhill.
One good thing came of it, though (besides him cutting down on meat consumption since being vegan) -- I had always intended to go vegan but never got around to it till my grandpa went vegan. When I realized he was vegan and I still wasn't, after all that time, I finally did it! :) However, my grandpa still doesn't really "get" veganism....everytime I see him he tells me he doesn't understood why as a vegan he couldn't eat egg whites since they have no cholesterol, and asks why I don't eat them. :rolleyes: I keep trying to explain it's about ethics and animal welfare, but he doesn't get it.
Anyway, I hope more people are influenced by these diabetes findings, and I'm still glad that even if my grandfather isn't vegan anymore, he at least eats fewer animal products (and I secretly hope someday he'll go back to being vegan :))

Korn
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:24 AM
More Evidence Links Cow’s Milk to Type 1 Diabetes (http://www.pcrm.org/news/archive080510.html)

A new study adds more evidence that cow's milk proteins trigger type 1 diabetes. Marcia Goldfarb of Anatek-EP, a protein research laboratory in Portland, Maine, reports having found antibodies to bovine beta-lactoglobulin in the serum of children with diabetes. Individuals without diabetes did not have the antibody.

Type 1 diabetes is believed to be caused when antibodies destroy the insulin-producing pancreatic cells. Several studies have suggested that cow's milk proteins may trigger the production of these dangerous antibodies. Larger studies are currently testing this theory.

Study/Research Reference: Goldfarb M. Relation of time of introduction of cow milk protein to an infant and risk of type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Proteome Research 2008;7:2165-7

Korn
Nov 19th, 2008, 09:16 PM
PCRM (Physicians Commitee for Responsible Medicine) sent out this info today:

In a new study including about 57,000 men and women from two large, completed randomized trials, researchers found that daily consumption of eggs increased the likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes. Daily egg intake was associated with a 77 and 58 percent increased risk for women and men, respectively.

Djoussé L, Gaziano JM, Buring JE, Lee I. Egg consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in men and women. Diabetes Care. Published online ahead of print November 18, 2008. DOI: 10.2337/dc08-1271.

Bunny
Nov 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I wish more people would read this - and believe it. If I tell my family, they'll say that I am being brain washed. I'll tell them anyway! :D

hullabaloo
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Do you have a link to where the paper itself was published online? I'm a bit of a geek and like to read these things and also to see the methodology etc.

Mahk
Dec 11th, 2008, 12:14 AM
^Sorry, I think you have to pay to read beyond this abstract::(

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/dc08-1271v1

Zero
Dec 11th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I'd like to see something that actually explains how though rather than just trying to link the two together. You can use studies to link together number of icecreams sold to the number of murders on a given day. (http://teachers.redclay.k12.de.us/craig.ford/apstats1/4.2%20Cautions%20About%20Correlation%20and%20Regre esion%20TEMPLATE.pdf)

Always glad to see physicians telling people not to eat animal products though of course.

Mahk
Dec 11th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Good point Zero. It reminds me of the true reason for global warming; pirate decimation:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/FSM_Pirates.png;) ARGH!

Zero
Dec 11th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Avast, me hearties correlation does not imply causation, aarrgghhh!

bradders
Dec 11th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I have a gas fire and I haven't been murdered therefore my gas fire keeps away murderers.

kingstofu
Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Good point Zero. It reminds me of the true reason for global warming; pirate decimation:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/FSM_Pirates.png;) ARGH!

http://www.venganza.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/pirateweatherman.jpg

Zero
Dec 25th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Nicely presented :thumbsup:

Korn
Mar 24th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Animal Protein Linked to Increased Diabetes Risk (http://www.vegansworldnetwork.org/hn_2010_0123.php)

Diabetes risk increases with higher intake of total protein and animal protein, according to a new study in this month's issue of Diabetes Care. Researchers analyzed the diets of 38,094 Dutch participants from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study and found that for every 5 percent of calories consumed from protein instead of carbohydrate or fat, the risk of developing diabetes increased 30 percent. Increased animal protein intake coincided with increased intakes of saturated fat, cholesterol, and heme iron, and with increased body mass index, waist circumference, and blood pressure. Vegetable protein intake was not associated with diabetes risk.

Study/Research Reference: Sluijs I, Beulens JWJ, Van Der A DL, Spijkerman AMW, Grobbee DE, Van Der Shouw YT. Dietary intake of total, animal, and vegetable protein and risk of type 2 diabetes in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-NL study. Diabetes Care. 2010; 33:43-48.

Korn
Mar 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM
More Vegetables for Mom Decreases Risk of Diabetes for Baby (http://www.vegansworldnetwork.org/hn_2009_1202.php)

(December 2. 2009)

In a new study published in Pediatric Diabetes, researchers found that women who consumed the least amount of vegetables during pregnancy were more likely to have babies who developed type 1 diabetes.

Compared with women who ate vegetables daily, those consuming vegetables only three to five times per week had a 71 percent increased risk of having a child with diabetes.

Study/Research Reference: Brekke HK, Ludvigsson J. Daily vegetable intake during pregnancy negatively associated to islet autoimmunity in the offspring - The ABIS study. Pediatr Diabetes. Advanced access published September 16, 2009. DOI: 10.1111/j.1399-5448.2009.00563.x

Korn
Mar 24th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Also:
Meat Consumption Increases Risk of Diabetes (http://www.vegansworldnetwork.org/hn_2009_1105.php)

A new review published in the journal Diabetologia adds more evidence linking meat consumption to diabetes risk. The people who ate the most meat had the highest risk of type 2 diabetes. Intakes of red meat and processed meat were associated with 21 and 41 percent increased risk, respectively. The study was a systematic review compiling data from 12 prior studies.

Study/Research Reference: Aune D, Ursin G, Veierod MB. Meat consumption and the risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. Diabetologia. 2009;52:2277-2287.

Jivattatva
Aug 20th, 2010, 01:09 AM
This is a newsitem from a newspaper.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/green-leafy-veg-reduces-diabetes-risk/story-e6frf7jx-1225907638440

Green leafy vegetables reduce diabetes risk

From correspondents in Paris From: AFP August 20, 2010 9:46AM

TUCKING into more spinach and other green leafy vegetables can reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes.

The research, released today in the British Medical Journal, wades into a controversial area, and its authors caution more investigation is needed to confirm the findings.

A team led by Patrice Carter at the University of Leicester, in central England, reviewed six studies involving 220,000 people that explored the link between fruit and vegetable consumption and Type 2, or adult-onset, diabetes.

Eating one and a half extra servings of green leafy vegetables cut the risk of diabetes by 14 per cent, but eating more fruit and vegetables combined had negligible impact, they found.

Type 2, the commonest form of diabetes, has spread fast from rich countries to fast-developing economies as fatty, sugary diets and sedentary lifestyles take hold.

More than 220 million people worldwide are afflicted with the disease, which kills more than one million people every year, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO).

As obesity rates increase, the number of deaths could double between 2005 and 2020, the WHO said.

Nutrition and exercise were known factors in prevention, but which foods worked best and why remain disputed, because so few good-quality studies had been carried out.

Dr Carter's team suggests that green leafy vegetables are useful because they are high in antioxidants and magnesium, but more work was needed to bear this out.

In a separate study published yesterday in the British Journal of Pharmacology, Chinese scientists said a compound extracted from various Chinese herbs helped reduce the impact of Type 2 diabetes in mice.

The product, known as emodin, inhibits an enzyme called 11-Beta-HSD1, which plays a role in resistance to insulin, the hormone that helps clear excess sugar from the blood.

Emodin can be extracted from Chinese rhubarb (Rheum palmatum) and Japanese knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum) among others, the paper said.

"Researchers would need to develop chemicals that have similar effects as emodin, and see which if any of these could be used as a therapeutic drug," said Ying Leng of the Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica.

Diabetes is controlled by injections of insulin and blood-sugar levels.

If unchecked, the disease can lead to heart disease, vision loss, limb amputation and kidney failure.

The Veganbetic
Oct 11th, 2010, 03:54 AM
...hence my name. :D

I am vegan and a Type II diabetic, and in the last year I reduced animal products and finally went full vegan---and watched my HbA1C go from 15 to 5.8, thanks to the info I found in Dr. Neal Barnard's book titled Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program For Reversing Diabetes. It's almost miraculous, from the POV of this formerly frustrated Type II. I am continually amazed at how much better I feel.

I did not have peripheral neuropathy, but I did have autonomic neuropathy, badly. Now---no more constant puking, no more urinary incontinence. It's wonderful.

rroseselavy
Oct 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM
...hence my name. :D

I am vegan and a Type II diabetic, and in the last year I reduced animal products and finally went full vegan---and watched my HbA1C go from 15 to 5.8, thanks to the info I found in Dr. Neal Barnard's book titled Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program For Reversing Diabetes. It's almost miraculous, from the POV of this formerly frustrated Type II. I am continually amazed at how much better I feel.

I did not have peripheral neuropathy, but I did have autonomic neuropathy, badly. Now---no more constant puking, no more urinary incontinence. It's wonderful.

I have tried to convince my mother (a type II diabetic) of this and even bought her the book, but she keeps going back to dairy products -- a lifelong addiction for her :(

rroseselavy
Oct 11th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hi fiamma, that may be true, but you don't know how irritating it is for me, a vegan, to hear doctors and others, including vegans, say that obesity leads to diabetes type 2, as well as too much fat etc. Well my diabetes #2 is inherited and I am not obese, neither do I eat fats - the only fat I consume is a dessertspoonful of flaxseed oil, and the occasional avocado.

You are right that everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another. But I will say that my diabetes is completely under control, though I do watch my fruit intake and avoid, eg, too much watermelon and instead eat rockmelon which has a lower GI. I know quite a few people with diabetes #2 (doesn't EVERYONE have it now?) and they are all meat eaters. I don't know of any vegans around here where I live, though one good guy I met in Brisbane was a vegan and he was diagnosed with diabetes too, and he was not obese either. :)

Hi Eve,
I agree with what you have to say here. I have a predisposition to type II diabetes on my maternal side (going back four generations that I know of) and had slightly elevated sugar in pregnancy. I am not diabetic, but fear for my future. This disease is genetic. We can guard against the worst aspects of the disease through careful nutrition, exercise and healthy living overall, but completely obliterating it may be another matter. To be honest, I have yet to encounter a morbidly obese diabetic myself. Anyway :D

The Veganbetic
Oct 11th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I have tried to convince my mother (a type II diabetic) of this and even bought her the book, but she keeps going back to dairy products -- a lifelong addiction for her :(

I'm really sorry. Yeah, dairy is totally addictive! Perhaps....do you know of Daiya? It's a fake cheese that melts and stretches and has good mouthfeel and tastes good Your mother may like it.

Korn
Jan 7th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Hippocrates Diet: Meat and Cancer and Diabetes Type 2 (http://www.hippocrateshealthlifestyle.com/570/meat-and-cancer-and-diabetes-type-2-blood-testing-results/)

Korn
Apr 7th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Vegetarians may be at lower diabetes, heart risk
(http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/01/us-vegetarians-idUSTRE7305ZB20110401?pageNumber=1)

An excerpt:

(Reuters Health) - A new study finds that a meat-free diet seems to lower a person's likelihood of having certain risk factors for diabetes or heart disease -- and therefore may lower the risk of one day developing those illnesses.

Researchers measured a suite of factors -- blood sugar, blood fats, blood pressure, waist size, and body mass - that when elevated add up to "metabolic syndrome," and found that vegetarians were lower than non-vegetarians on all counts except cholesterol.

Having metabolic syndrome puts people at a greater risk of developing diabetes or heart disease in the future.

In the study, 23 out of every 100 vegetarians were found to have at least three metabolic syndrome factors, compared with thirty-nine out of every 100 non-vegetarians and 37 out of every 100 semi-vegetarians.

"I was expecting there should be a difference," said Nico Rizzo of Loma Linda University, the lead researcher on the study. "But I didn't expect that it would be that much."

[...]

In this study, 35 percent of the subjects did not eat meat, whereas only about five percent of all Americans are vegetarian.

One of the differences Rizzo discovered between the groups was age. Vegetarians, on average, were 3 years older than the meat-eaters.

"Even though they're older, they're in better shape," Rizzo said. "That's something I found quite interesting."
(2010/2011)

Link to the actual report:
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2011/03/13/dc10-1221

CONCLUSIONS A vegetarian dietary pattern is associated with a more favorable profile of MRFs and a lower risk of MetS. The relationship persists after adjusting for lifestyle and demographic factors.

Firestorm
Apr 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM
The Daily Mirror has an article about this study in the paper today and on their website (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/health-news/2011/04/15/vegetarians-a-third-less-likely-to-get-heart-disease-diabetes-or-strokes-than-meat-eaters-claims-us-study-115875-23062209/) - at least the message is getting out there to people.