PDA

View Full Version : Animal products and diabetes

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

gertvegan
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:24 AM
From the Vegetarian Resource Group, a Vegan Menu for People with Diabetes (http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2003issue2/vj2003issue2diabetes.htm)

Gorilla
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:42 AM
hey thanks gert my mum has diabetes, i'll have to pass that on to her. :)

Vivisanctor
Aug 12th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Gertvegan:

your link didn't work for me.

gertvegan
Aug 12th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Try now.

eve
Aug 13th, 2004, 07:26 AM
The link works fine, but those recipes are too complicated for me; I'm a simple eater. The page with Monday, Tuesday, etc meals, are also complicated. As someone with border-line diabetes (genetic), these days I simply stick to rolled oats with apricots or raisins for brekkie; for lunch raw vege juice and lightly cooked bok choi, tomatoes and beans etc with a slice of grainy bread spread with avocado, homas and marmite; and in the evening I eat a bowl of pecan nuts! Nothing between meals except a cup of hot lemon, or ginger tea.

Look what a small space that fits into! I did keep one vegan cookbook (after giving away all the others), but where there's a long list of ingredients, no way am I going to follow the instructions. But I appreciate that website gertvegan, always useful to keep informed. :)

VeganChick
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:16 PM
:( my mom went to the doctors yesterday. she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes but her level was only 206... she said anything over 200 is diabetic... is it too late for her to turn it around? i mean if she looses weight and eats right... Is it possible for her to not be diabetic... still be on the fence... :confused:

Also can a veg/vegan diet help her... she's my mom i want to do i can to help her out. PLEASE RESPOND! thanks!!!

Artichoke47
Mar 5th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I have read that a vegan diet can prevent/cure type II diabetes. Most likely it's her current diet and exercise (or lack thereof) that caused it, so she definitely needs a change. Why doesn't she just try it out? :)

gertvegan
Mar 5th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Veganchick, the Diet and Diabetes (http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/diabetes.html) article from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine may be of interest, as may the book they recommend from the Healthy Eating For Life series, To Prevent And Treat Diabetes (http://pcrm.safeshopper.com/13/118.htm?523).

gertvegan
Mar 5th, 2005, 06:55 PM
And heres (http://www.pcrm.org/health/clinres/diabetes.html) the Diabetes: Can a Vegan Diet Reverse Diabetes? article by Andrew Nicholson, M.D. that I was looking for. :)

gertvegan
Mar 5th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Theres also the Vegan Menu for People with Diabetes (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758&highlight=diabetes) thread with a link that helps I hope. :)

Kiva Dancer
Mar 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM
It's very true.

The vegan diet can help reverse type 2 diabeties and help lower insulin dependancy. Whole grains and deep leafy vegetables are the two best things she can eat that will help. If she's a meat-eater or a milk drinker, encourage her to cut those things out. Milk has been shown to spike blood sugar and so has meat.

I would also encourage her to take up some form of exercise if she's not already doing that. This, combined with diet will also help her.

veganator
Mar 6th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Vegan diet plan written by a vegan RD for treating type II diabetes:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570671397/qid%3D1110075058/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-5870431-8020705

Artichoke47
Mar 6th, 2005, 03:40 AM
I wonder if the diet is actually "reversing" the disease, though. Is it not just restoring the body to its original, pure state that was clouded by consumption of animal products?

VeganChick
Mar 19th, 2005, 02:49 AM
thanks everyone to all of your help... my mom went back to the doctors and got her levels checked. she is on the higher end of the "normal" range which means she isn't diabetic! she is still going to be more careful what she eats... She still needs to lose weight tho... she is at least trying to more than before.

Kiva Dancer
Mar 19th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Excellent news that she's not diabetic! What a relief to you, I'm sure.

I would still encourage her to follow a vegan diet and find something that gets her physically active. Those 2 things will do miles to lowering her blood sugars and getting her away from that "high end of normal" range.

Best of luck to you both. :)

veganator
Mar 20th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I wonder if the diet is actually "reversing" the disease, though. Is it not just restoring the body to its original, pure state that was clouded by consumption of animal products?

People are born with ( or get it through a virus... origins are still being researched ) type1 diabetes.

People eat themselves into type 2 diabetes. Some foods are worse then others, but eating too much and not exercising enough will bring about type 2 diabetes.

I have met vegans who got type 2 diabetes or who have been diagnosed "pre diabetic"( their systems are deteriorating in that direction ).

Geoff
Mar 20th, 2005, 10:24 PM
People are born with ( or get it through a virus... origins are still being researched ) type1 diabetes.

Veganator - can you supply a reference for the virus theory?
I suddenly became diabetic after many years on a vegan diet and the endocrinologist diagnosed it as type 1, saying that I would have to inject insulin. That was 18 months ago and I'm still only using tablets but also losing weight.

veganator
Mar 21st, 2005, 06:56 PM
No. I read it a while back.

Seaside
Apr 8th, 2005, 04:40 AM
"Defeating Diabetes" by Brenda Davis & Tom Barnard has a lot of good information about combatting diabetes naturally. It is basically vegan, but allows for an optional animal foods category. Most of the recipes are vegan, but when listing soy milk as an ingredient, will list non-fat milk as an option (at least the soy milk gets first billing!).

It is important to know whether your diabetes is from an abnormal pancreas that is no longer able to produce insulin, or from the ability of your cells to resist normal levels of insulin. The insulin is supposed to transport sugar from the bloodstream to the cells of muscles and organs for their use. There may not be enough insulin due to a worn out pancreas, leading to high levels of sugar in the blood, or the cells may become unable to absorb sugar from the blood, in spite of normal insulin production by the pancreas, which will also result in high levels of sugar in the blood. Your doctor will be able to tell you what your own situation is.

Posted by Geoff:

Veganator - can you supply a reference for the virus theory?

Page 169 of Diabetes: Prevention and Cure by C. Leigh Broadhurst says:

"Type I diabetes is thought to stem from an autoimmune reaction to the pancreas, where the body mistakenly attacks and destroys its own pancreatic cells. In addition, viral infections (such as whooping cough, mumps, hepatitis, and cocksakie) and prolonged use of antibiotics are thought to cause or contribute to Type I diabetes."

If you have a tendency to autoimmunity, and your immune system has been challenged by viral infection, this could indeed be the cause of developing Type I diabetes. This book is not a vegan dietary approach, but there is a lot of information about diabetes in it that you may not be able to get from your doctor, unless you have a holistic doctor. There is an excellent section full of foods and herbs to use that either support the pancreas, decrease the insulin resistance of cells, remove some of the sugar in the bloodstream, or act as plant based insulin does.

Examples:

Insulin substitutes- juices of bitter melon (Momordica charantia), jerusalem artichoke (also called sunchoke)

To stimulate insulin secretion- Cinnamon, cloves, green tea, black tea, Gurmar (Gymnema sylvestre)

Insulin resistance- Vitamins C and E, Chromium, Magnesium, alpha lipoic acid

Dietary fiber is important as it slows the absorption of sugar into the blood.

There's a lot more info, and a section on preventing or treating the complications due to diabetes. You must work closely with your doctor to monitor your blood sugar and insulin levels when trying any of these natural treatments. :)

Imapeach
Jul 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Can anyone please supply me with any facts or resources concerning vegetarians and diabetes?

I heard an argument recently that stated vegetarians are at an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes because of their likelihood of consuming extra refined carbohydrates than omnivores do. I know it's ridiculous and I know I've seen statistics before that proved that vegan and vegetarians are in fact at a far lesser chance of developing the disease... however would like some reliable figures to back up my debate with. All I have so far is the PCRM site on diabetes: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/diabetes.html But was actually looking for a nice, neat pie diagram or chart of some kind that I can wave around knowledgeably. So if anybody knows any that might help, I'd really appreciate it :) Cheers!

harpy
Jul 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM
There are a few studies around showing that vegetarians (and especially vegans) are less likely to be overweight or obese - and of course overweight is a factor in developing type 2 diabetes.

One such study's mentioned here http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/Vegetarian_women_weigh_less_than_meat_eaters.shtml

The link between diabetes and weight (rather than sugar consumption) is discussed here http://www.healthcastle.com/sugar-diabetes.shtml

Tigerlily
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:06 AM
How common is it for a vegan to have type 2 diabetes? Type 2 diabetes seems to come across as something that affects obese, fast food guzzling children and adults...but what a generally healthy vegan?

I'm just curious...

Seaside
Mar 11th, 2006, 05:04 AM
I am pretty sure that in another thread on diabetes I posted some info about how people who are not obese and follow good diets (like Geoff) can still get this disease. It was a long time ago though. Try a search Tigerlily. :)

Tigerlily
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:05 PM
:o I don't know how to do a search on this forum! Everytime I search for something I keep on getting loads of irrelevant threads (like "What Pants Are You Wearing Today" and "Dating Vegans", etc). :confused:

sugarmouse
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Tigerlilyi have noticed that aswell!on the plus side i have found soem interesting threads from a while ago, but irrelevant to waht i was wanting nonetheless!

have you googled?maybe just type diabetes and diet?