PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

snaffler
Dec 11th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Thats it really I got some training to do in London which is 3 days and near Waterloo Station but as its not until early 2007 I have time to find a vegan B&B or similar does anyone know of one please.

Cheers

Jays

Marrers
Dec 11th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure there is a vegan b&b anywhere - certainly nothing I've heard of.
A hotel could probably make sure they got vegan stuff in for you but it would be cheaper to stay at a b&b near to somewhere you can get a vegan breakfast (check opening hours if you need to eat early).

Plant in Soho used to do breakfast (closed down now) but nowhere else springs to mind - maybe others will have some ideas for you.

aubergine
Dec 11th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I'd also look at eating elsewhere. I usually book into a travelodge or similar for this reason.

Smoothie
Dec 11th, 2006, 11:52 AM
it's so easy to get vegan sandwiches and ready-made food in london. last time i was there, we lived somewhere near tottenham court road, and we had a planet organic, a tiny health store with something like 15 different vegan choices of food, and the joi veg buffet, a vegan all you can eat-buffet, for £6. i mean, it can't be that hard?

absentmindedfan
Dec 11th, 2006, 11:56 PM
You can get vegan breakfast at Neal's Yard Cafe. Haven't tried it myself yet but gimme time ;)

Jamie
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM
has anyone stayed at this place?
http://www.lincoln-house-hotel.co.uk/
They say on the website that they'll do a vegan breakfast.

I'm thinking of staying there in a few days time. Doesn't look very flash but a decent breakfast in the hotel will be a nice novelty! :) I found it on the Vegan London site.

Troutina
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Mmm for breakfast you can have grilled vegetables with houmous...
Just what I always have for breakfast... :/

Roxy
Dec 15th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Do you really think it will be a good vegan breakfast though Jamie? I don't want to put a dampener on it - but tofu and bread or hummus, olive oil and bread?

Hehe - maybe you can show them how to make a good vegan breakfast! ;)

harpy
Dec 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I sometimes have hummus for breakfast. Is it very wrong of me? ;)

Jamie
Dec 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I just mean good as in, not a piece of dry toast and a glass of OJ-flavoured squash! :rolleyes:

I think veg and tofu sounds nice. I hope the way they list them though, isn't exactly what they mean: they will only let you have grilled veg, OR hommus and bread, OR tofu and bread?? Well I'll find out I suppose, and let you know! :o

Marrers
Dec 15th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I always have savoury stuff like houmous for breakfast! If you are paying for bed and breakfast it would indeed be nice ot have some breakfast!! Let us know what it is like Jamie. Snaffler was looking for somewhere doing vegan breakfast . . .

Jamie
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:01 PM
yeah I'm not a fan of cereals TBH! :)

gertvegan
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:05 PM
The makers of the much talked-about film of Eric Schlosser's book - FAST FOOD NATION - would like to invite supporters/friends of The Vegetarian Society to an exclusive free screening of the film at The Odeon Leicester Square on Monday 8 January - 6 for 6.30pm start. There will be some celebrities attending too. Simply email Matt Hass at rsvp@tartanfilms.com to arrange tickets.

teaboy
Jan 13th, 2007, 09:30 PM
The Warren Street Health Food Centre at 11 Warren St, London W1, does a great selection of delicious vegan curries , dhals and chillis. It's also very cheap and has huge portions. There's a couple of rickety tables and chairs outside, but, for the most part it's take-away; there's plenty of park benches around the corner in Fitzroy Square (although it's still a little bit too early for alfresco eating).

gertvegan
Jan 17th, 2007, 08:50 PM
From www.veganvillage.co.uk

DO YOU WANT TO BE FEATURED IN A DOCUMENTARY?

Filming a documentary about london's multiculturalism. would like to feature a vegan/vegetarian londoner who has an interesting story to tell. please get in touch. mcabitzaatgmail.com replacing at with @.

boomshanka
Jan 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Hi there,

Have any vegans ventured into Balham/Tooting and found the indian restaraunt Kastoori?

I ate there many years ago and loved the food. 'Mung bean curry' absolutely yummy. A vegan buddy was shown around the kithchen to see how the food was prepared and cooked.
He was impressed by their work ethic, keeping dairy seperate from vegan and so on.

Hav'nt been there for over a decade since leaving London and would love to know if they are still around and 'kosher'.

cheers!

harpy
Jan 21st, 2007, 02:14 PM
Yes, the Kastoori's still there and run by the same family (or was when I last went there a few months ago). Haven't inspected the kitchen though!

boomshanka
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM
Oh harpy, there is a god.:)

I am going to visit them soon as then.

Is that area your stomping ground harpy?

harpy
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM
Not exactly, but it's not too far away from here (Putney) and I have a friend who lives over there.

There are a few other Indian veggie or veggie-friendly places round there - the Shree Krishna was pretty good last time I went although I'm not sure if they're as scrupulous about separating vegan stuff from the rest (and of course they serve meat in there unfortunately).

boomshanka
Jan 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM
I was born and raised in Clapham, 'Saff Londin', I miss it sometimes, especially the muggings.

Now I live in a sunny Kent coastal town, so close to the sea in fact it comes through the door!

Then again I remember seeing cars submerged along the Thames at Putney because their owners did'nt heed the warnings about high tide. I think sometimes you just can't avoid the water.

I like it down here now, so does the dog.

harpy
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:09 PM
Then again I remember seeing cars submerged along the Thames at Putney because their owners did'nt heed the warnings about high tide. I think sometimes you just can't avoid the water.

Yes, they still do that! I would have thought the water was fairly easily avoided in that particular instance :D

aubergine
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
I was born and raised in Clapham, 'Saff Londin', I miss it sometimes, especially the muggings.

Quote of the year :)

I'd love to be near the coast again.

boomshanka
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
I'd love to be near the coast again.

I sometimes take living by the coast for granted V.drummersam, then as I'm walking along the beach with the dog I think, this is so civilized, so tranquil.

You must try and get down to the coast at least once a year, take in a big lung full salty ozone and return to the city refreshed.

It will help you escape the muggers. :)

aubergine
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
You must try and get down to the coast at least once a year, take in a big lung full salty ozone and return to the city refreshed.

I make sure I do. My favourite place is Winchelsea, but I want to explore more of our coast this summer.

Magic_Alex
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:48 AM
I'm going to London with 3 friends (one of whom is veggie, the other two omnivorous), on the 13th Feb. Does anyone know of any nice, affordable vegan restaurants there we could go to? Thanks :)