PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RedWellies
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Have you had a look at this (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11231) poll, Alex? It might give you some ideas.

Marrers
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
I've just found out that the Oxo Tower has a vegan menu (in the Brasserie) and wine list!

RedWellies
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
I've never been there. What's it like?

Marrers
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Posh! But I've never been cos normally although they will cater for vegans in places like this with notice they ask you what you want - the fun of eating out for me is getting new things you hadn't thought of etc. And I hate not being able to have wine.

So I'm delighted with this news and will be going soon - will let you know what it's like.

http://www.harveynichols.com/output/Page128.asp

aubergine
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
The Brasserie menu looks very tempting.

alisont
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:32 PM
That sounds a great place and menu - looks like they have got all the correct info on the vegan wines too:)

Rather expensive but a nice treat!

I was planning to pop to Tai buffet and Beatroot on my next visit in Feb half term but keep thinking i should head to Pogo!

Marrers
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I haven't had a look yet but someone told me one of the thai buffets on Greek Street is now doing vegan cake (and they have soya milk).

Stu
Feb 13th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I'm there!

alisont
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I will play look for vegan cake in Greek St Friday:) will report back!

Just realised il be by that organic hairdressers:rolleyes: bet they are fully booked! I cant really afford colours at the mo!

RedWellies
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Do you mean Jigami, Alison? I have a 20% off voucher for a first visit if you'd like it? (I posted on the hairdressing thread.)

alisont
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Yes thats the one - am trying to work out if i can justify the prices for hair colours! but its not long til my birthday and a colour would be fab:)

Having said that i doubt there would be any appointments fri pm or sat am and would take a lot of time to have it done........

20% off would help if i went - or culd leave til the next visit? Have just had it cut today after work (how do hairdressers get my hair so soft and glossy:confused: :rolleyes: ) i have to take my own products there be great to go to a 100% cruelty free place!

Troutina
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I haven't had a look yet but someone told me one of the thai buffets on Greek Street is now doing vegan cake (and they have soya milk).

Waaaah!!
Brillo!!

pavotrouge
Feb 16th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Woot, I just booked my flight and can now officially announce that I'll be in London from 12-16 April...I look forward to exploring vegan London (when I went last year, I was still in the transition phase)!

alisont
Feb 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Do try Beatroot in Berwick street by the market for the cakes:D

I munched my way round Tai buffet, Beatroot, Greens and Beans whilst in London Fri/Sat:)

Marrers
Feb 18th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Beans? Where is that?

Or do you mean Greens & Beans near Euston? If so what is it like for vegan food? Is there much choice, are things well marked? (Very little is marked on the website).

alisont
Feb 19th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Yes Greens n Beans in Drummond st, by Euston.

They dont have vegan puds, other than sorbet the day i went, but the mains for buffet lunch /take out are 80-90% vegan they pointed out the only 2 non vegan dishes - I loved the food, fresh n tasty vegan fare, massive platter for £5.95. Smoothies were good too:) Things are not marked but i just asked whats vegan!

They do soya milk option with the morning breakfasts or soya marg for the toast/drinks.

Keen to get feedback and ideas too, and keen to find out about any vegan forums and the London vegan festival.

Marrers
Feb 19th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the review of Greens & Beans Alison, I'll have to try it if I can tear myself away from my second fave thai buffet on Euston Road (between Warren Street and Great Portland Street tubes). And Chutneys is up there on Drummond Road too - so many choices!

In fact I went to a mexican place near there (Mestizo on Hampstead Street) on Saturday for a 40th birthday. They were able to cater for me and the food was very nice although the first time my main dish arrived they hadn't left the cheese off. This meant I had my meal when everyone else had finished theirs - I hate that.

jasminetea
Feb 24th, 2007, 08:35 PM
someone mentioned vegan cakes... there is a selection of yummy vegan cakes in Ray's jazz cafe at Foyles bookstore - www.foyles.co.uk (http://www.foyles.co.uk%29) - and you can get vegan cakes at the VitaOrganic restaurant on Wardour St - http://www.vitaorganic.co.uk (http://www.vitaorganic.co.uk/%29)
Also, you can get all vegan cakes at the Pogo cafe in Hackney (www.pogocafe.co.uk) (http://www.pogocafe.co.uk%29).
I've also noticed ALL vegan cakes at the veg Dim Sum place opposite Angel tube (not the buffet one, the other one 2 doors down).

Marrers
Mar 8th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Yes Greens n Beans in Drummond st, by Euston.

They dont have vegan puds, other than sorbet the day i went, but the mains for buffet lunch /take out are 80-90% vegan they pointed out the only 2 non vegan dishes - I loved the food, fresh n tasty vegan fare, massive platter for £5.95. Smoothies were good too:) Things are not marked but i just asked whats vegan!
I went to Greens and Beans yesterday at about 5pm so the cafe part was shut. They had two vegan cakes. I got the clementine cake to take away and had it today - one of the best cakes I've had in a while!

EFCliz
Mar 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Has anyone been to Chai Pani? I have been wanting to try it for ages but it gets a bad review in Time Out and also on some other review websites.

Dr Phibes
Mar 13th, 2007, 10:00 PM
What a nightmare!
We've been trying to book accommodation by using the contact details on Vegan London's site and much of the information is out of date. Finally got through to someone and so relieved that we booked the first one we could contact... Are Brian and Julie members of this forum? I'll send them an email!
I really fancy a vegan curry - can someone recommend a really good one, doesn't matter where so long as it's served by public transport. Thanks

pavotrouge
Mar 13th, 2007, 10:05 PM
have you tried www.hospitalityclub.org ? Nicest way to meet people and stay someplace else but home!

Marrers
Mar 15th, 2007, 02:46 AM
I went to Ray's Jazz Cafe in Foyles (on Charing Cross Road, nearest tube Tottenahm Court Road) today and enjoyed a slice of vegan triple chocolate cake and a cuppa with soya milk! There were several other vegan cake options too (like Passion Loaf, Ginger Loaf and Flapjacks)

absentmindedfan
Mar 15th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I go in there alot with my old uni friend, it's lovely :)

Bit pricey though :eek:

Marrers
Mar 15th, 2007, 11:17 PM
£2.90 for the cake - pretty average in my (vast!) experience of vegan cakes! I think take-away cake is a bit cheaper.
And £1.20 for a tea or coffee (+30p for soya milk - I was charged the extra for my first drink but not my second)

I think they do vegan sandwiches too but I didn't see what the options were.

(And at least you don't have to go all the way to Brighton for cake AMF!)