PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

flying plum
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:46 PM
yeah, i thought about the buffet places...i just kind of wanted to go somewhere a bit 'special' cos it's my birthday. that's why i'm a bit bummed out about mildreds room cos it would have been perfect. AND i could have sneakily made the menu vegan.

i thought about 222...i've not been there, but i've heard good things. perhaps i will try them.

originally, it was just going to be dinner, which would have been fine, but some friends of mine are doing a gig so originally the plan was to go for an early dinner then go to the gig. but the gig is in london bridge, and there seems to be an absence of veggie places to eat there (although, i did already know that). i just don't really want to end up eating somewhere that can 'cater' for me, like pizza express, because it's MY birthday, y'know? (can you see me stomping my feet? :D)

i thought about rasa samudra as well...although they have fish. i just wanted people to have to eat veggie for once *l* i've not been to mantra, but i see good things about it.

ug, i hate when things like this become a stress. not least because i know i'm not going to get a cake unless i bake one myself *l*

amanda

flying plum
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
oh, and re:hummus bros - i've been there before, and it's cool :) great for a light dinner :D

edit - just been doing some more searching...has anyone been to chai pani? looks qui5te nice/not too expensive.

also, not been to any of the tai places. what's the deal wth them? is the food good, places to sit etc etc etc?

amanda

caitlin_:)
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:19 PM
THANKS MARRERS AND ALL!
I'm definitely going to check out 222!, I've been to vitaorganic before, might try and go there to, but as mentioned is a bit pricey...ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh how exciting! I cant wait!
mmmmmm want to try beatroot cakes too.....only3 days to go! :D

Marrers
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Looking forward to your reviews on your return caitlin!

also, not been to any of the tai places. what's the deal wth them? is the food good, places to sit etc etc etc?

You should be able to book a table for a large group - I've done it before.

They vary in terms of food. Lots of mock meat and tofu - should be 100% vegan (apart from desserts and any boiled sweets they give you when you pay) but it is worth double checking. You probably know it's an 'eat as much as you want' buffet so if your friends are nervous they can start with a little of every dish then go back to get more of the ones they like. (A lot of people don't even realise it is veggie food.)

I have my preferred places as I like a mix of vegetable dishes with the mock meat - some concentrate on mock meat mainly.
You could pop along Greek Street where there are quite a few (if that is the area you are thinking of) and pop in each to have a look at all the buffet tables before choosing. My favourite in Sasa, by the Pillars of Hercules pub. There is a buffet place on each side of the pub (and pub archway through to Foyles and Charing Cross Road, the Tottenham Court Road tube end).
I used to like the other one best but they stopped doing steamed broccolii and other fresh veggies and I like some veg with those meals.

I think Sasa has a better choice of dishes and it's quite big at the back. The other one (?Tai) has a room in the basement which is right next to the kitchen and not as nice as upstairs but worth bearing in mind of you get stuck. It was only used for large groups when I was going there but it would mean going up and down the stairs for the buffet. Mind you it's been a while since I was there so I am only assuming it is still the same set up.

What do other people think?

flying plum
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM
i might try sasa, on your rec marrers :) i think informal is probably the way to go as people are starting to mumble about whether they can take time off revision.

thanks for all your help, greatly appreciated!

Marrers
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:24 PM
The other beauty of the buffet places is you eat immediately so no hanging about waiting for food to come - it's as quick as you want to make it!

Make sure you book as they will probably have to put some tables together for you. (Ask to sit in the back section if poss.)

Gorilla
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM
i haven't eaten at the Sasa one, but i've eaten at Tai in Greek St as well as the one in Camden and one in Golders Green too. i love the food they do :D mmmm, i want Chinese now :D

Marrers
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Sasa is my favourite chinese buffet but my second favourite is Gi Gi Hut at 339 Euston Road. (Warren Street and Great Portland Street are the nearest tubes and it is quite near Euston Station.)
It is a bit drab in decor but the food is really lovely - not as much of a selection as Sasa but I like most of the dishes they do, and I especially like that they usually have brussel sprouts in one dish!

I think there is a Tai next door but GiGi Hut gets my vote if you are in that area.

flying plum
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM
well, sasa is booked for sat. i'll let you know how it goes :D

was quite funny - the woman on the phone said 'have you been ehre before?' me: 'no, but you come highly recommended' her:'ah, ok. well, we're a buffet.' me:'yes, i know that, thanks :) her:'we are also vegetarian' me:'yes, i knew that too. vegan as well, yes?' her: (very enthusiastic) oh yes! see you saturday miss keeling!

awesome :)

amanda

Marrers
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I bet it was the man with the very high pitched voice! He is the best English speaker there!

harpy
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Hope the birthday goes well - look forward to reading the report.

Marrers
Apr 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Has anyone been to Zionly Manna? (Brixton, ?Atlantic Road)
Does anyone know if it is still even in business? I couldn't find very much about it online and when my friend tried ringing recently she could get no answer.

How did the birthday meal go Flying Plum? (And the hair appointment at Jigami?)

aubergine
Apr 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I keep meaning to pop by there as it's really easy to get to Brixton for me.

Hopefully I'll post some sort of review in the next few weeks...

Marrers
Apr 30th, 2007, 02:39 PM
That would be very helpful. Apparently there is no menu as the food changes every day but it would be great to know it was still there, the opening times etc.

flying plum
Apr 30th, 2007, 05:08 PM
hey marrers - i was just typing you a pm :) dinner was great thanks! although, due to ill-timed birthday LUNCH with mum at mildred's, wasn't too hungry by dinner! great place though, deffo worth a repeat visit.

hair was good too, although there was a mixup and i'm not sure if redwellies will get her 20% rec discount, so i need to ring them to make sure. looks lovely though - great place :)

do you know the address of zionly manna? i'm out and about in brixton a reasonable amount, so i can swing by and check next time i'm there if you like?

amanda

Marrers
Apr 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM
If you get a chance to check out Zionly Manna it would be great! I had it down as 60 Atlantic Road (but I remember I found a different address on one site).

Glad to hear the birthday went well - I'm relieved you liked Sasa (always a worry when I suggest somewhere!) and you even got to go to Mildreds as well!

I hope whatever the mix up was didn't mean you didn't get your discount?

flying plum
May 1st, 2007, 01:56 PM
I hope whatever the mix up was didn't mean you didn't get your discount?

well, what happened was i went to the loo, and when i came back, my mum had paid for it! scott had given her the discount, cos i'd mentioned that someone had kindly given me a card, but i hadn't given him the thingy you gave me, so i'm not sure if toni will get her 20%? not sure how it works? it didn't occur to me until later, so i'll have to give them a ring or something i guess. or use it again *eg*

amanda

nickysr
May 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Has anyone been to Zionly Manna? (Brixton, ?Atlantic Road)
Does anyone know if it is still even in business? I couldn't find very much about it online and when my friend tried ringing recently she could get no answer.

Hi there -we had takeout from there last week. Very good.
It has changed hands but is still rastafari and vegan
It is open for breakfast and dinner too now.
It is on Railton road opposite The Bar With No Name (formerly Neon)
Can't remember its new name - sorry but will look when I go past it later

flying plum
May 8th, 2007, 04:03 PM
oh cool, i know where that is. my boyf lives the herne hill end of railton road, so that sounds like a very good excuse to drag him to some animal-friendly food :D

amanda

nickysr
May 13th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Sorry- is on atlantic (which is the same road as railton - the name chages half way to herne hill) I live off railton road - the herne hill end too!!

flying plum
May 16th, 2007, 07:38 PM
ah cool, will deffo check it out once my exams are finished!

herne hill is a lovely part of london - there are some amazing houses around there, especially up on the hill :)

amanda

Kevster
May 16th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Dropped into Mildreds after a trip to the citte of yorke pub and red veg. Very nice had the mushroom and ale pie followed by steamed ginger and date pudding with custard. Very yum, a touch pricey, and hugely busy!

Then went to Glasshouse stores....

flying plum
May 19th, 2007, 08:40 PM
i always wish mildred's was a bit cheaper. i feel that the prices and the decor don't quite match. don't get me wrong, it's a lovely little restaurant, but it feels a bit more like a cafe and the prices don't really reflect that. the atmosphere is a little more casual than the prices beget in my opinion...

amanda

caitlin_:)
May 21st, 2007, 01:58 PM
I agree, I had a lovely dinner there when I was over in london a couple of weeks ago satay tofu, followed by quinoa salad with cherry tomatoes, roasted peppers,toasted almonds,marinated tofu,rocket and avocado, it was alll gourgeos but had to wait 40 minutes to be squeezed in at the end of a table, but I guess as long as they're busy prices aren't going down...our wages should go up!

RedWellies
May 21st, 2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I got a shock how much a starter and some dessert came to. I thought it was because I'm a country bumpkin but maybe not! Was delicious though.