PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

cedarblue
Mar 25th, 2005, 12:08 PM
are you heading down this way then kev?? :)

gertvegan
Mar 27th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Mr Kev, and others, you'll get 10% discount on presentation of any recent copy of the Animal Aid mag Outrage. ;)

Kevster
Mar 27th, 2005, 08:22 PM
How do you know that? Vegan society card do? Or animal aid membership card? I do have a copy of outrage tho, that is if i choose to use the discount.

Kevster
Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:46 PM
May well be going to the pogo cafe in a week, if i do i'll report back with my findings.....

cedarblue
Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:49 PM
friend of mine has been there a couple of times, she really likes it, good value etc....

Kevster
Apr 7th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Soooooooo popped into the Country Life restaurant for a light snack (really) it was very reasonable for some salad, noodles and cous cous and tasty too. The cake looked great but a little too pricey, there were main courses but i was just passing through. Friendly people, but the restaurant is downstairs so without windows, and the decor is a little drab for my taste. Also there was some Christian literature around which i quite like to have a little read to see how unchristian most christians are,
i'd go along again, it's in a good location, didn't see any cashew nut and ale pie on the menu though....

There's also a shop upstairs with a fair smattering of goods.

gertvegan
Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:28 PM
Last Sunday a few of us went to Tai Buffet (http://www.vegveg.com/) on Greek Street, Soho, in London.

Some of you's will already know about it, if not, its a vegan Chinese, Thai, and Japanese influenced restaurant with delish and cheap food. Its a eat as much as you like buffet place (and we did) with rice, noodles, stir-frys, salad, soya products, and veg.

Will have to pop in again some time. :)

gertvegan
Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:46 PM
We also just happened to find our way into The Chandos (29, St. Martins Lane, London, WC2N 4ER) and Duke of Argyll (26, Great Windmill St, London, W1D 7LQ) Samuel Smith pubs for a couple of vegan stouts. :p

Kevster
Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:13 AM
Ah yes i have a couple of those in mind as places to go and visit in London. Mildred's is worth a visit for the cashew and ale pie, that is if they still do it, been a while since i was last there.

cedarblue
Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Last Sunday a few of us went to Tai Buffet (http://www.vegveg.com/) on Greek Street, Soho, in London.

who is 'us'?

why was i not invited? *sniff*

gertvegan
Apr 24th, 2005, 02:17 PM
why was i not invited? *sniff*Oh but you were cedars, see HERE. (http://veganforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39255&postcount=41) Next time aye. ;)

gertvegan
Apr 24th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Vegan Campaigns (http://www.vegancampaigns.org.uk/index.html) is a new group whose aim is to promote veganism, primarily in the London area. Among the activities already planned are vegan food fairs, cafe nights, street stalls, meetings every two months in Central London, as well as helping to organise the London Vegan Festival 2005 (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3162) in September.

For the Mclibel screening, see the Pogo Cafe (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2572) thread. :)

gertvegan
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM
LONDON VEGANS AT MILDREDS

Wed 4th May 2005 at 7pm, Mildreds Vegetarian Restaurant, 45 Lexington Street, Soho, London, W1. Loads of vegan food at this popular venue. Please book your place at our table by phone to the LV Info Line (020 8931 1904 - voicemail box 1) or by e-mail info@londonvegans.org.uk by Monday 02/05/05. See www.londonvegans.org.uk for more London Vegan events. :)

harpy
May 4th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Someone has asked me to spread the word about this new place - unfortunately I haven't had time to try it myself yet but I have been told that the (Italian-style veggie) food is good and that it is vegan-friendly.

Bruno
=====
"good food is a celebration of life"

424 Coldharbour Lane
Brixton
London SW9

020 7738 6161

(Near Ritzy, opposite Satay Bar. Next-door-but-one to the Prince Albert
pub.)

Opening hours:
Monday--Wednesday: 11.00--17.00
Thursday--Saturday: 11.00--23.00

Kitchen open:
Monday--Wednesday: 12.00--15.00
Thursday--Saturday: 12.00--22.00

When the kitchen is closed much of the menu is still available, just
some hot main dishes (such as pasta) may not be.

Vegetarian and vegan food, organic wines suitable for vegetarians and
vegans.
=======================
My informant is going to try and get hold of a sample menu but I gather that you can have snacks such as panini as well as full meals. Starters are about £4, main courses about £6, salads £3.50, desserts £3 - not bad for London!

harpy
May 13th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I have now been sent a sample menu for the new vegetarian restaurant in Coldharbour Lane, Brixton that I posted about in this thread a couple of messages ago.

Unfortunately it doesn't identify the vegan things :rolleyes: but one could have a guess...I am going to try and go soon as I gather they could do with a few more customers so I will report back on vegan arrangements if I do. I gather it is licensed even though wines don't appear below.

* Starters/snacks: £4.00
> mini falafel: crispy pita, humous
> bruschetta: fresh tomato, mozzarella
> formaggio: misto sott'olio, oatcakes

* Salads - small: £3.50; large: £5.00
> beetroot carpaccio: thin sliced beetroot, pine nuts, olives, herb
salad
> bocconcino: cherry tomato, basil, avocado, cherry mozzarella
> the crunch: celery, carrot, fennel, lettuce, assorted seeds
> beano trio: french beans, cannellini, red kidney beans, shredded
lettuce
> dressing: balsamico, french

* Pasta - starter: £3.50; main course: £5.00
> spaghetti, penne, gnocchi
> raviloli: £1 extra, spinach, ricotta
> tagliatelle: £1 extra, organic spelt, (longer preparation
required)
> sauces: "bolognese", basil pesto, walnut pesto

* Main courses: £6
> crispy polenta: topped with grilled vegetables, crescenza cheese
> Bruno burger: served with salad, onion, tomato, chips
> pesto couscous: served with roast vegetables, shaved pecorino
cheese
> mushroom risotto: Italian rice with wild mushrooms
> bangers and mash: spinach and sun-dried-tomato sausage, mashed
potato, red-onion gravy

* Extras
> bread: £1; Olives: £2

* Specials daily

* Panini
> eat in (with salad): £4.00; take away: £3
> ciabatta:
> grill: grilled vegetables, humous, olive tapenade
> tricolor: avocado, tomato, mozzarella
> sausage: sausage, sweet onion, salad
> crescendo: artichoke hearts, crescenza cheese, pesto
> burger in a bap

* Deserts: £3.00
> home-made
> cake: chocolate, carrot
> with soya desert: vanilla, chocolate
> tiramisu
> iced desert: vanilla

* Drinks
> hot:
> tea:
> ordinary: 70p
> herbal: 90p
> coffee:
> ordinary: £1.10
> espresso: £1.10
> caffelatte: £1.30
> cappuccino: £1.30
> chocolate: £1.50

> cold:
> mineral water: £1.10
> fruit juice: £1.00
> freshly-squeezed juice: £2.50
> fruit smoothie: £2.50
> Amé, £1.30: white, red

Kevster
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I see young Miss Moomin has left it to me to write about our little lunch time meet up in Londres last Friday. I turned up at Hackney station in my Bristol vegan fayre shirt, ready to clash with Moomin and her t-shirt, but to the disappointment of my sense of humour (two people in same shirt (not literally!) and calling each other Moomin and Kevster) would have tickled me a little. Anyhow, for those of you interested Moomin was suitably attired in a very nice Summer dress.

Sooooo onto The Pogo Cafe, what a great place! Go there if you have an opportunity, lovely people, lovely atmosphere, and some rather nice food to boot. We both had the nut roast for a main course, this was after a banana milkshake for me, the food was plentiful and tasty, and to follow, i had a sumptuous piece of carrot cake, and Moomin had some chocolate biscuit cake.

The conversation in between was quite delightful, and a very pleasant afternoon was had.

VeganJohn
Jun 27th, 2005, 10:22 PM
I'm off to London tomorrow until the weekend and am staying in Chelsea. Does anyone know of any vegan places to eat as I haven't found any on the web.

Many Thanks,

VeganJohn.

VeganJohn
Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:47 PM
Hi,

I'm back from my break in London and thought I'd report on my vegan eating experiences. I took some soya milk and was able to get toast and jam and cereal as well as plenty of fresh fruit and different types of breads for breakfast (I didn't have anything cooked). I was with meat eating family although was able to find vegan soups, salads and chips etc during the day.

I ate at three restaurants and all were fantastic. The first one was Thai Cottage in Soho, quite an authentic Thai place by all accounts, although they served meat dishes. I had a fantastic vegetable soup for starters, followed by a main course of bean curd and several vegetables with a nice sauce, served with fragrant Thai rice. For dessert I had bananas in coconut milk, this was delicious! The coconut milk was hot and I think it had been seasoned with a little maple syrup.

The next night I ate at Food for Thought in Covent Garden. I had been here a few years ago and thought the food was good. It was very busy with people constantly coming down the stairs to order food and I have to admit that although it is a vegetarian restaurant, there was only a few choices that were vegan. The food I had, however, was of a very high standard. I had a lentil soup for starters, served with warm bread and and a little pot of soya margarine. For main course I had stir fried vegetables with brown rice. Dessert was a gorgeous apple crumble, although I wished there had been some vegan ice cream or custard to go with it.

The stand out restaurant I went to was Tai in Soho, a completely vegan chinese buffet! The food was amazing, ranging from soya beef, chicken and prawn to noodle dishes, tofu dishes, vegetable dishes, special rice and seaweed. It was also very reasonably priced and there was a menu of exotic teas. I had a ginseng tea. Of note was a section of the menu, which explained the concept of Buddhism in relation vegetarian chinese food.

Many thanks to the 'Vegan London' guide that I downloaded and printed out.

All in all a good trip to London with family.

:)

tasha
Jul 3rd, 2005, 09:24 PM
Sounds like you had a good time! I'm not big on buffets, but that chinese vegan buffet sounds great!

It is always nerve wrecking to visit different areas when it comes to food, I'm glad the guide helped you out!

dahmin
Jul 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM
ok.

Stu
Jul 10th, 2005, 07:38 PM
OK folks.

As the title states, I'm moving to London on the 25th of this month.
Basically I'm wondering if any of you can give me some advice on being a vegan in the city.

I'm talking restaurants, shops, bars etc.

Also, I may be interested in any vegan groups that may exist there. Or just individuals even.

Cheers!

harpy
Jul 11th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I'm not a native Londoner but I have lived here since 1979 (dates me, eh?). I'm in SW London - do you know which part of the town you will be inhabiting yet?

There are quite a few restaurants that are either vegan or vegetarian but cater well for vegans. This site has restaurant listings that are fairly up to date: http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/

This group is fairly active I think although I've never been along to their meetings: http://www.londonvegans.org.uk/

Nivvie
Jul 11th, 2005, 04:22 PM
*Puts on annoying know it all hat*

You have to be born within earshot of the Bow Bells to be a cockney.
If you are, later you can qualify for the position of pearly king or queen! Joy!

*Shuts up*

aubergine
Jul 11th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Pardon?

puffin
Jul 11th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Pardon?
:D