PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Holly78
Aug 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks so much for the replies - they are much appreciated. :) We wanted to avoid Indian as we *always* go out for Indian to please the Vegan :p and I would like them to try some non Indian vegan food.

I think Eat and Two Veg is further away from the London Palladium than Mildreds - both Mildreds and London Palladium have 'W1' postcodes.

Alisont - you say 7-9pm is busy at Mildreds - we would be looking to arrive around 5pmish because I think the show starts around 7pmish - do you think six people would be able to get a table at that time?

I also like the sound of 222 although it is quite a bit further away. Hmmm..maybe I will bear that one in mind for myself next time I am down in London!

absentmindedfan
Aug 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I can vouch for Mantra in Soho. All veggie with plenty of vegan. Service a liiiitle slow, but food was lovely.

harpy
Aug 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Hmm, I've been to Mantra as well but I can't remember anything about it :confused:

Holly, yes Eat and Two Veg is probably about 15 mins' walk away; Mildreds is a bit nearer but I thought you were ruling it out on grounds of not being able to book.

However, if you're going as early as 5 I would have thought you might be OK anyway. You could always give them a ring and ask them what it's usually like at that time.

Their details are here: http://www.mildreds.co.uk/

Holly78
Aug 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks both. ABF - we are not going for Indian this time because we almost always go for Indian (so I can find something to eat) but thanks for the suggestion and I will definitely bear it in mind for future meals!

Harpy - I would ideally like to be able to book but I think I will risk Mildreds as we are going early and it is so close to the theatre. I also think the food will be a hit with everyone. Fingers crossed they can accommodate us ok...it is a pity they don't take bookings.

aubergine
Aug 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM
We went to Mildred's again last night. The Pie was very good as usual, and I assume the sausage and mash was good ;)

alisont
Aug 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I called in at Mildreds at 5.30pm Tues for a drink was very quiet, I had a chat with one of the staff there who said its def a case of waiting after 7pm but apart from lunch time its often poss to get seated at 5.30/6ish.

She did tell me they have a private dining room - can be booked for large parties - so a poss idea for any bigger forum future meet ups:)

If anyones interested noticed they do a special take out lunch menu runs 12.30 - 5.30pm mains cheaper ie burger of the day and fries £5 cheesecake £2.50 (of course i had to take a slice out!) the pie meal was £6 take out (one day il try their pie!)

222 is well worth a visit, I love their lunch buffet, but it is a pain to get to!

Marrers
Aug 10th, 2007, 02:24 AM
She did tell me they have a private dining room - can be booked for large parties - so a poss idea for any bigger forum future meet ups:)
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. If for any reason you can't get in there are loads of other places nearby like Beatroot, Vita Organic and some chinese buffets but they of course do not serve alcohol.

Whenever I've been to 222 the service has been slow so it might not be ideal for a pre-theatre meal (unless things have improved).

Holly78
Aug 10th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I did think about the private dining room but you have to have at least 10 I think. Also I really like the ambiance of the restaurant. Thanks for your replies. :)

Holly78
Aug 13th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Just to update - had a fab meal and we were fine getting a table at 5pm. Very yummy food and everyone enjoyed it (even the meat eaters.) :D

harpy
Aug 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Glad you had a good time, Holly. Was the service quite fast at that time as well?

Holly78
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM
It was just right actually! I have been in there before when it was very busy and they have been in a hurry to get you out and the next diners seated but it wasn't like that on Saturday.

Linxie
Sep 11th, 2007, 09:02 AM
If anyone lives nears Islington, London, there is an organic cafe on Goswell road. It has been open for a fe months but they have also now opened a small health food shop as well. I've had a few nice vegan meals there in the past few months and I also noticed the other day that they do vegan cakes! Its quite pricey but worth a try if you are in the area.

Marrers
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks Linxie, I may pop in if I can find it when I'm next in the area. Any idea what it is called? The exact location and opening hours would be useful too.

Linxie
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Next time I go past I will see if I can see the opening hours.

It is at the top end of Goswell Road, by Upper Street and Angel tube station.

Its called Avani Organics I believe

Marrers
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks. :)

Stu
Sep 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Cool. Just down the road from me, really.

bryzee86
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:23 PM
ooh brilliant. I'm a bit of a trek from islington, but if i'm in the area (is it open on sundays? mi got to the farmers' market some sundays) i will pop in.

dreamqueen
Oct 14th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I'm going to be staying in North London for a few days and am wondering if anyone can recommend a good place for a vegan breakfast. I'll be staying near Manor House tube station.

Alternately, if there are good places for breakfast somewhere along the Piccadilly line I could probably hang on long enough to get there by tube.

Thanks!

Stu
Oct 14th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Haha! I do a great fry-up. I live right next to Manor House tube station, funnily enough.

I would recommend this place:
http://www.pogocafe.co.uk/
but they only open about 12:30 usually.

Other than that, you'd probably have to go to Angel (about 30 mins on the 341 bus) or Camden Town (25 minutes on the 29 bus).

dreamqueen
Oct 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Anyone tried Greens and Beans on Drummond St. (near Euston station)? Do they have more than juices? (Not that I won't be desperate for a juice when I get there.)

RedWellies
Oct 15th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I think Alisont ate there and posted about it on here somewhere..Here (http://veganforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=341136&postcount=462).

wondering if anyone can recommend a good place for a vegan breakfast. I'll be staying near Manor House tube station.

I'd definitely recommend Stu's!!

Also, I had breakfast here (http://www.eatandtwoveg.com/eatv.php) once and it was good but not sure how near it is for you.

dreamqueen
Oct 15th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks, RW!

I'll at Stu's if he's really inviting me ;)

Eat and Veg is on Marylebone High Street - is that near the Marylebone tube station? It seems like it very obviously should be...but there are no directions on their website.

flying plum
Oct 16th, 2007, 08:37 AM
you'd think so, but it's actually south of the marylebone road, in between baker st and regent st tube. not sure if regent st has re-opened, so i guess baker st would be your best bet. plenty of buses from there, or alternatively, you can walk across to euston sq and get the met/circle/hammersmith....but that seems like a lot of effort!

on the subject of breakfast, btw, but in south london, 'bread etcetera' in clapham (small bakery and cafe next to sainsbury's on the high street) have a 'strictly vegan' breakfast - have yet to try it, but cool that it exists. they often have something else vegan in their specials too...

amanda

dreamqueen
Oct 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks, Amanda.

This Breadcetera place - Clapham North tube stop probably?

flying plum
Oct 17th, 2007, 10:47 AM
clapham common is closer, but clapham north wouldnt be the end of the world.

amanda