PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

bryzee86
Oct 28th, 2007, 01:38 AM
ooh really? I was there yester-frigging-day as well!

p.s. stay in london for a while. it's much better :D

alisont
Oct 28th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I love the cakes from Fresh and Wild on Brewer St - got a slice of the passion fruit one, wish id of tried choc too now! It was good Fri to visit Fresh and Wild followed by a int of Sam Smiths cider in the Glasshouse stores:D

I love the crispy cakes from Beatroot - got one Fri:)

I went to another nice health shop in Portabello area by the market - under the bridge by Ladbrook grove station - they has that Scheese in, as did fresh and wild and wholefoods market but the portabello one had more selection.

I love London for vegan eating out! went to Beatroot, Mildreds and 222 this weekend:D

bryzee86
Oct 28th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Beatroot is brilliant. I love that place. The little sausage rolls are really nice.

P.S. I found some vegan tealights in co-op today. They were on offer; two packs of thirty for £3. Labelled "no animal ingredients" on the back. So yeah, well chuffed.

Joeybee
Oct 28th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Oooooh I love beatroot. For cakes i like the ones at the Foyles bookstore off oxford street, mmmmm.

bryzee86
Oct 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Do you not like the cakes I make you best of all? :(

P.S. 400 posts! yaaay!

RebeccaDye
Oct 28th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Where are all these places!?
I live in London, myself, near Greenwich/ Lewisham.
There's a nice health food shop in Greenwich, in the market place.
But these places sound better!
Might have to go on a huge hunt one day...

alisont
Oct 28th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Beatroot is on Bewick Street by the market - I get lost finding it every time but its so worth a trip the choc cluster cakes are so wow! Smoothies good there too! The sos rolls are wonderful managed 3 Fri!

Mildreds is on Lexington street which is off Brewer street where there is fresh and wild store and the glasshouse pub which sells cheap vegan beer and cider Sam Smiths:)

222 is harder to find its in West Kensington on North end Road opp the Holiday inn- no 28 bus goes past it.he lunch buffet is great and the eve menu is wonderful but need to book a table.

I just love London for great vegan places to eat and shop:D

Joeybee
Oct 28th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Where are all these places!?
I live in London, myself, near Greenwich/ Lewisham.
There's a nice health food shop in Greenwich, in the market place.
But these places sound better!
Might have to go on a huge hunt one day...

A lot of the places are around oxford street/soho kind of area.
Do you know what I found in Greenwich which was REALLY really nice, there is a milkshake shop, that does vegan milkshakes also, and it does milkshakes in any flavour you could imagine, they have loads of sweets and they blend them to make the milkshake with soya milk and ice cream, they are fantastic. I had an after eight milkshake from there, oh my gosh I am suddenley getting cravings again. Do you know of this place?

And Bryzee, yes your cakes are by far the best ever, esp the hot sweaty wet chocolate cakes, mmmm, but not everyone on this forum can just walk into our flat and sample some of your culinary delights!

RebeccaDye
Oct 28th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Oh my god!
I went there literally 2 days ago!
It's called "Shake It!"
(And it's near this wacky shop called Shiva)
Yeah! They use soya milk and Swedish Glace!
I'd been going there for a few years, in my vegetarian days, and I almost cried when I found out they do vegan alternatives (well...that's a bit over the top).
But yeah!
I had an after eight milkshake as well!
They're so nice.

And thanks, I'll have to get up to Oxford Street sometime.

suzieyoga
Oct 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM
My husband and I will be staying in Maida Vale at the beginning of December. Any good and inexpensive food suggestions? We'll have a fridg. in the room.

BlackCats
Oct 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM
OMG I have been to Greenwich so many times, why did I not know about these soya milkshakes!!!:)

Stu
Oct 28th, 2007, 10:54 PM
My husband and I will be staying in Maida Vale at the beginning of December. Any good and inexpensive food suggestions? We'll have a fridg. in the room.

Nope! I work in Maida Vale and it is a void.

bryzee86
Oct 29th, 2007, 12:06 AM
probably best to pick stuff up in central london and chariot it back to your room, suzieyoga. There are plenty of cafes, restaurants and health food shops in central, so check out www.happycow.com for info.

bryzee86
Oct 29th, 2007, 12:08 AM
OMG I have been to Greenwich so many times, why did I not know about these soya milkshakes!!!:)

they are sooooooooooo good! They're damn expensive (especially with the surcharge for soya *shakes fist*), but worth every penny. I've not been able to replicate them, they were that perfect. Any excuse for a meet-up though.... I'm sure Jo'd be thrilled at the thought of being treated to a shake.

EDIT: I mean 'milk'shake of course...just to clear that up

EDIT2: In no way am I trying to imply that you should buy it for Jo. I meant I should... With Jo's cash.

BlackCats
Oct 29th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Ha ha - will Jo's cash buy my soya milkshake too?:D
I meet my brother in Greenwich quite often.:)

bryzee86
Oct 29th, 2007, 12:41 AM
I very much doubt our measly student money will buy us more than one to share between the two of us, so it's unlikey you'll get one thrown into the bargain!

Marrers
Nov 17th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Went to Eat And Two Veg for first time the other day because we had an appointment next door and some time to kill. The choice of vegan main meals seemed very sparse and didn't include things which I thought should be vegan. Apart from the starters it was just a burger, 2 salads or 1 curry dish. When I asked if there were any errors I was given a different menu with one or two different dishes on it and more (of the unchanged dishes) marked as vegan. I think the menu had just been changed.

The food was okay - I had Winter Rissoles served with puy lentils, nice but overall dish was a bit dry. They have one red and one white wine option but I didn't try any. The only suitable dessert was Fruit Crumble or ice cream so I wasn't tempted.

The place was very cold and draughty though. I'm not sure I'll bother going back.

And if you are up that way make sure to pop into Rococo Chocolates a few doors along!

Stu
Nov 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM
And if you are up that way make sure to pop into Rococo Chocolates a few doors along!

Sounds interesting! Thanks for the tip, Marrers.

Marrers
Nov 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM
There's one on the Kings Road too, up near Bluebird. I've been addicted to their great dark chocolate fondant creams in flavours like lavender and geranium for years but hadn't been to that branch til recently. The Artisan bars are pretty tasty too.
http://www.rococochocolates.com/artisan_bars.html

Marrers
Dec 10th, 2007, 03:30 AM
My o/h got me a slice of cake from Heavenly Cakes who were running a stall on Croydon High Street today. Some of you might have seen them in the basement at the Xmas Without Cruelty Fayre recently. Apparently they are based in Sydenham.

aubergine
Dec 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Sydenham!!!!!! Wow.

spazzpoet
Dec 20th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Sydenham ehhhh, how do we find this place? Sydenham isn't far from dulwich at all...

chridus
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:12 PM
hey!
this is my first entry. i am sixteen years old and come from austria. this year i am going on a school trip to london for nine days. these nine days we will spend at some host-families. unfortunately i do not know if the family where i will stay is a vegan family (actaually i'm afraid that it's not!).
so could anyone help me? where can i buy any (cheap) vegan stuff (snacks or anything like that) and where can i find some vegan restaurants or snackbars?
i will stay in wimbledon. does anybody know some shops there, which sell vegan products? do the supermarkets sell many vegan products? and can i find the vegan-trademark on all of these?

thx and best regards
-CHRIDUS-

PS: excuse my bad english, i hope it will turn better in the nine days ;)

RebeccaDye
Jan 4th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Why don't you take some vegan food with you, such as pasta, crackers, tins and non-perishables then at least you have some supplies!

Supermarkets will also have some vegan basics, and I personally find "Sainsbury's" to be good at labelling vegan items.

As for vegan restaurants, I couldn't say which is closest to Wimbledon though you could find out yourself by researching into the restaurants/cafes listed in this thread:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11231&highlight=restaurants%2Fcafes+london

You can ask your host-family for help on directions and everything.

Sorry that's the best advice I can give.
I hope all goes well!!

Becca
xxx

harpy
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hello -

I live quite near Wimbledon although I don't often shop there.

I know that there is a Holland and Barrett in the centre of Wimbledon (in a shopping centre called Centre Court) - they are a chain of health food shops and usually sell some vegan foods. There are also various supermarkets in different parts of Wimbledon (I know there is a Tesco and a Somerfield in the centre); all of them sell nuts and so forth - not sure how good these ones are for vegan-specific foods but you won't starve! There is also a big Sainsbury's supermarket in South Wimbledon which would have a "free from" section (i.e. for people with allergies etc) and they usually do quite a number of vegan foods I think.

As far as I know there aren't any vegetarian restaurants in Wimbledon but there are various Indian and Chinese ones which are often OK for vegans if you can explain what you want (another good reason to work on your English ;) which already seems very good).

Can you get in touch with your host family before you come over and explain to them what sort of thing you eat?