PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

harpy
Apr 4th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I don't think there are any really rough areas of Wimbledon but if you look on a map you'll see that the further south you get the further you are from the common and park. "Wimbledon Village" is nearest the common but would probably be very expensive. Round the Broadway, where Wimbledon Station is, would be good from the point of view of shops etc and you wouldn't be too far from the common.

But then it depends what you consider to be "too far"! It takes me about 10-15 minutes to walk from South Wimbledon Station to Wimbledon Station, and then the common is maybe another 15 minutes walk (up hill) from there?

I'm not familiar with rental prices any more but I would think places like Streatham and Tooting would also be worth a look. Both have commons and Tooting has a number of Indian restaurants (including one or two vegetarian ones) plus "ethnic" shops where you can buy interesting food.

maikeru
Apr 5th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I'm not familiar with rental prices any more but I would think places like Streatham and Tooting would also be worth a look. Both have commons and Tooting has a number of Indian restaurants (including one or two vegetarian ones) plus "ethnic" shops where you can buy interesting food.

If you head south of Wimbledon (well south east, which is where South Wimbledon station is) then you have Morden Hall Park!

Anyway, Tooting is where I used to live when I first moved to London, and now I live in Streatham. Both are very much inner London neighborhoods and have a totally different feel to the more suburban Wimbledon. So whether they will be more suitable depends on the sort of place you want to live.

The original reason for moving to Tooting is that it was relatively cheap and on the Underground. The only reason I moved was following a breakup, but I liked it there. There is an independent health food store on the Upper Tooting Road, and a Holland & Barret on Mitcham Lane practically opposite the Tooting Broadway station. And there is the all veggie Kastoori Gujarati restaurant which is quite excellent, with plenty of vegan dishes.

One thing to bear in mind with Tooting is that Wandsworth has one of the lowest council tax rates in the country, it is about half that of surrounding boroughs. This makes it around £50 cheaper per month to live there, so something to bear in mind when considering mortgages or rent.

For greenary you need to be in the Tooting Bec area to be near the commons rather than the more central area around Broadway.

Streatham also has a Holland & Barret and an independent health food store. It also has a WHSmith which may sound like a silly thing to mention, but (unless it has changed in the last couple of year) there is no book shop of any kind in Tooting! There is the vegetarian Whole Meal Café who despite almost being my neighbours I find disappointing. They have a very small menu and so apart from basics like jacket potato there is usually only one or two vegan choices (out of four or five overall) although the food is nice.

Work on the Streatham Hub project is due to start soon, which would be good for keeping fit. This will see the old swimming baths and ice arena replaced with new facilities. This is in south Streatham, where you also have Streatham Common, and near Streatham Vale which is the more suburban end of town.

Tooting Bec Common is very close to the middle area of the High Road, where the main high street stores are. Then Streatham Hill is the top end, which is more gentrified and you get independent greengrocers and the like there, but no green areas other than the top of Tooting Bec Common. Together from the top of Streatham Hill to the bottom of Streatham High Road is apparently the longest continuous high street in Europe!

One reason why Streatham is cheap though is that it is not on the Underground. Instead though it has three train stations, all are roughly 20-25 minutes from central London.

Streatham Hill (at the foot of Streatham Hill) has a half hourly service from Victoria to Croydon, and a half hourly service from Victoria to London Bridge (via Crystal Palace).

Streatham (same area as Streatham Hub) has a half-hourly service from London Bridge to Croydon, and a quarter-hourly service from Luton, St Pancras, and Blackfriars to Sutton and Wimbledon.

Finally Streatham Common (in Streatham Vale and not near the common at all, it really is a stupid name) has a quarter-hourly service from Victoria to London Bridge, half hourly from Victoria to Caterham via Croydon, and half-hourly from London Bridge to Croydon (via Streatham).

There are also several busy bus routes which go to or through Brixton giving access to the Victoria Line, and take around 15 minutes. Apparently it is the second busiest bus route in London after Oxford Street (or so claimed the Evening Standard's "Where to Live in London"). There are also buses to Tooting Bec for access to the Northern Line.

Michael.

harpy
Apr 5th, 2008, 12:48 AM
True, and Morden Hall Park is really nice isn't it? Must admit I find that area round S. Wimbledon Station slightly grim but it's probably a subjective thing.

We live in Putney, which is also good for green expanses and transport (though not for vegetarian restaurants). I think the rental property may be quite expensive though. (We've been here for about a million years, otherwise we couldn't afford to live here.)

maikeru
Apr 5th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I know what you mean about the area around the station. The tower in Colliers Wood sets the mood and it continues like that all the way down Merton High Road!

But if you keep heading south-westerly from there is a veggie cafe, somewhere near the tram tracks. Unfortunately I cannot remember exactly where or what it is called though, only that it is painted blue and yellow! Only a small place with a small menu, but a nice find in an otherwise residential area.

I really like it by the river in Putney, but it is an expensive area. It is the posh end of Wandsworth Borough! As an alternative Wandsworth itself is a little cheaper because of the lack of a tube line.

One bizarre environmental benefit of living in Wandsworth or Lambeth (where Streatham is) though is that the municipal waste is taking away by barge keeping lorries off the street! You often see them passing under the bridges in central London, boats towing one or two lighters with a dozen plus yellow containers.

Michael.

harpy
Apr 5th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Michael - must go and look for the veggie cafe sometime as I'm quite often in that area.

I heard some people would like to close our riverside rubbish depot (in order to build more flats on the land presumably :( ) Hope they don't as presumably it would mean replacing the barges with lorries, among other things.

flying plum
Apr 5th, 2008, 10:22 PM
iseeflops - have you looked at kingston? there's cheap property prices around there because of the university, and it's very green. there's also a nice, if 'traditional' vegetarian/vegan restaurant on the river called the riverside vegetaria.

night life is ok...bit chavving on the club scene, but there are some nice pubs and bars. i grew up round there, and couldn't wait to live further in london (now in clapham), but if you don't need to be superclose in, then it's a good one. there is a train from kingston to waterloo, but it's often quicker to get a bus to surbition and get the train (to waterloo as well) from there as they are faster trains and don't stop as often.

depends really what you want out of london, i guess. to live near (nice) greenery in central london is expensive, but if you don't mind living a bit further out, you can get some good deals. clapham junction can throw up some surprising ones, and that's not far from battersea park and clapham common.

amanda

alisont
Apr 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Does anyone know if Peking Palace is open for the buffet Sat and Sun?

IL be in London next weekend to see Muse and wont be eating in the eve so need to find somewhere for a good lunch Sat, might just go to Red Vege or Beatroot if open but Peking Palace is a good filling buffet might keep me going til Sun.

Stopping at the LSE uni rooms they include veggie breccy but not sure how many vegan options they will have.

If 222 was open after 3pm thats near where im going around 5ish - pubs near the Royal Albert Hall but think they shut by 3?

Marrers
Apr 9th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Today I had an absolutely superb dark chocolate sorbet from Scoop (40 Shorts Gardens, off Neal Street, Covent Garden). They had several fruit flavoured ones too.

I also bought a vegan cupcake from Wholefoods on Kensington High Street and two muffins - one chocolate, one coconut from Neals Yard Salad Bar.

alisont
Apr 9th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Cool if Wholefoods on Kensington high st are selling cupcakes, last time i went i was annoyed they had no vegan cakes, i put a note on their message board.

Might have to call in Sat on way to concert for a cake as i think its near to the royal albert hall?

Real shame peking palace not open weekend lunchtimes, not sure where to go for lunch sat, dont think a red vege burgers going to keep me going all day/eve as not eating in eve, wont be in kensington til 5pm so 222 not open then:rolleyes: not keen on the msg the tai buffets use, anyone think of anywhere else for lunch sat in euston/central london area?

bryzee86
Apr 9th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Today I had an absolutely superb dark chocolate sorbet from Scoop (40 Shorts Gardens, off Neal Street, Covent Garden). They had several fruit flavoured ones too.

I also bought a vegan cupcake from Wholefoods on Kensington High Street and two muffins - one chocolate, one coconut from Neals Yard Salad Bar.

wow vegan cupcakes in wholefoods! What section were they in?

Marrers
Apr 10th, 2008, 02:16 AM
That cupcake was tasty too! It was from the big glass covered cake counter on the left as you go in. £1.99 each though. :eek:

Just jump on a bus to get from Wholefoods to the Albert Hall alisont, it's only a few stops.

alisont
Apr 10th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Thats good its close, will treat myself to a cake whilst im waiting to go into the gig:)

bryzee86
Apr 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
That cupcake was tasty too! It was from the big glass covered cake counter on the left as you go in. £1.99 each though. :eek:

that's like $4!! Yeah...I think of everything in dollar equivalents now...:o

maikeru
Apr 10th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Whole Foods Market sucks.

I know their raison en d'être is organic rather than vegetarian but aside from having all the flavours of Sheese they do not offer anything more than much smaller stores. And they have less vegan sandwiches and salads than the Soho Fresh & Wild.

That all said, maybe I looked in the wrong pace but I was there today and all I could see where six packs of cup cakes which had egg in them.

Bah!

Michael.

Stu
Apr 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Michael, it makes no difference what pace you look, your findings will be the same. Unless your pace is so slow, that they shop closes before you've finished.

God, I really deserve a punch for that, don't I?

Moving on...
Hey Michael, speaking of the Fresh & Wild in Soho (on Brewer Street, right?): you'll notice that literally two or three doors along from said establishment, lies a public house that goes by the name of 'Glasshouse Stores.' This is the home on veganforum.com London no-meat-ups. Maybe we can see you in there someday soon?

bryzee86
Apr 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM
like, next saturday.

alisont
Apr 10th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I know im in London the wrong Sat like this Sat:rolleyes: Its only for the Muse gig shame its not the following one as ive no plans this Sun whilst in London til my pm train home, but am sure Camden market or a museum if wet and a trip to fresh n wild in camden or brewer st for supplies i cant get in Brum oh and be rude to walk past the Glasshouse stores without a quick pint;)

bryzee86
Apr 10th, 2008, 10:32 PM
aw poo.we're in Manchester this week.

maybe next time, eh?

alisont
Apr 10th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Yes be great to meet you both:)

I am planning to get to the London vegan festival this year as I seem to have missed and am missing all other meet ups :rolleyes: not intentional!

bryzee86
Apr 10th, 2008, 11:25 PM
well we should be going to that i should think - it's the day before we go back to uni.

Marrers
Apr 11th, 2008, 12:27 AM
That cupcake was tasty too! It was from the big glass covered cake counter on the left as you go in.

Whole Foods Market sucks.
I know their raison en d'être is organic rather than vegetarian but aside from having all the flavours of Sheese they do not offer anything more than much smaller stores. And they have less vegan sandwiches and salads than the Soho Fresh & Wild.
That all said, maybe I looked in the wrong pace but I was there today and all I could see where six packs of cup cakes which had egg in them.

I was in there at about 7pm last night - there were loads of vegan cupcakes (marked "vegan cupcakes") and I can't imagine they would have sold out by today - it is the bakery section where you have to ask a member of staff to get you what you want (next to where you can get a coffee).

It is not a patch on the stores in the US for own brand vegan options but still pretty good to get everything under one roof. I agree about there being more choice of ready meals etc in the Brewer St shop though - I was surprised to find no tofu salads or Hoxton falafel wraps in the Kensington High St shop.

maikeru
Apr 11th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I was in there at about 7pm last night - there were loads of vegan cupcakes (marked "vegan cupcakes") and I can't imagine they would have sold out by today - it is the bakery section where you have to ask a member of staff to get you what you want (next to where you can get a coffee).

Ahh, I was looking at where the cakes were laid out for you to take your own, on the left as you go in through the bakery section. If they were behind the counter where you needed to ask for service them I would not have seen them.

Michael, it makes no difference what pace you look, your findings will be the same. Unless your pace is so slow, that they shop closes before you've finished.

Earlier today I wanted to identify a goose so I searched Google for "common british waterbords". It asked me if I wanted to search for waterboards instead. Apparently that must be a more popular search than for waterbirds.

Hey Michael, speaking of the Fresh & Wild in Soho (on Brewer Street, right?): you'll notice that literally two or three doors along from said establishment, lies a public house that goes by the name of 'Glasshouse Stores.' This is the home on veganforum.com London no-meat-ups. Maybe we can see you in there someday soon?

Crafty segue. In a fit of stupidity though I did agree to go to the meet the weekend following, but sadly it seems that was not forgotten so regrettably I might not be able to go out of attending.

Michael.

Marrers
Apr 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM
it seems that was not forgotten so regrettably I might not be able to go out of attending.

You are indeed correct - no getting out of it now! :D

But you won't regret it!

alisont
Apr 13th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Well i didnt get to wholefoods for a cupcake but did find an organic veggie/vegan/raw food cafe in Camden high street that was rather good today name escapes me will find flyer later, but its near canal before the bridge?

They have djs there trance/electro eves i think weekends and a bar.

I had vegan lasagne, salads/veg meal and a choc brownie (divine!) brought more cake and raspberry/coconut tofu cheesecake home (again divine!)

They had about 6 types of vegan cake, most food was vegan and raw choc truffles too.

Future forum meet there?

Will add the name tomorrow!

Stu
Apr 14th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Well i didnt get to wholefoods for a cupcake but did find an organic veggie/vegan/raw food cafe in Camden high street that was rather good today name escapes me will find flyer later, but its near canal before the bridge?

Cool! So is it on Chalk Farm Road then? It must be new. It sounds like it's where the fire was a few weeks ago. Is it on the right as you walk up towards Camden Lock?

I think it's about time Camden Town had something like this. You would have thought there would be such a place before now, since Camden Town is the home of 'alternative' in London.