PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

bryzee86
Apr 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
if LSE is anything like King's across the road (where i was) you should be able to get something like a jacket potato with beans on it for lunch in the canteen.
Jo informs me that, most of the time, the KCL veggie option (at waterloo, anyway) is vegan.

indeed, if lse is as clued up as UCL where i am now, you might even be able to get some vegan-labelled sandwiches in the shop.

My uni has a few too. But it'd be far better if they made their own, rather than shipping them in at extortionate cost (what student has £3 for a sarnie?!)

aubergine
Apr 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Rootmaster (http://www.root-master.co.uk/location.html) - that vegan cafe on the London bus - is quite near Brick Lane.
Has anyone been there yet?

I know I must sound like a stuck record, but what's been putting me off is that I have no idea what the toilet provisions are like. I know there isn't one on the bus itself and unfortunately that's a deal breaker. If there's an accessable loo in the market I'd be along in a flash.

bryzee86
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I know exactly what you mean, auby. I'd hate to be stuck there without toilet provisions. It's what puts me off redveg at times.

Ask Jo - I get really cranky when I need the loo.

aubergine
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM

I've moved my reply to somewhere else ;)

bryzee86
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM
and I have replied there also

flying plum
Apr 24th, 2008, 03:05 PM
bryzee - really? i didn't know that! although, i very rarely ate in the king's canteen...always felt it was a bit overpriced for what you got (minging school dinners). there were a few options i liked but i generally took my own dinner in/got a jacket and beans at the library for a £1.20. actually, i escaped UCL library for the Maughan the other day and noticed they'd gone up a bit. still....hot food for under £2. better than a sarnie if you ask me!

amanda

Gwydion
Apr 24th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Rootmaster (http://www.root-master.co.uk/location.html) - that vegan cafe on the London bus - is quite near Brick Lane.
Has anyone been there yet?

I was thinking of asking if you've been yet as I remember you mentioning it before. I'm going there this weekend, so can report back? Although I'm not very clued up on Vegan eateries, so won't have much to compare it to.

I know I must sound like a stuck record, but what's been putting me off is that I have no idea what the toilet provisions are like. I know there isn't one on the bus itself and unfortunately that's a deal breaker. If there's an accessable loo in the market I'd be along in a flash.

Eek, never knew about this. I imagine Ewan Urinal* is going to get a good seeing to in the pub afterwards! :amazed_ani:

*Apologies if anyone's name is Ewan

mariana
Apr 25th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I'm moving to that area in the summer mariana - we'll be neighbours!
Awesome! We should meet up some time for some yummy vegan food -- seems like there should be lots of good options, especially with all the Indian restaurants on Brick Lane.

amanda, thanks for all the suggestions! i will check out food for thought...and see if neros can do a frappuccino type thing with soy.

Yes! It's not far from Pogo, which is in Hackney. Pogo is not a restaurant; it's a cool little hippyish, dingy cafe thingy.
I just looked up more info on Pogo--it looks really awesome! I can't wait to check it out. :)

My uni has a few too. But it'd be far better if they made their own, rather than shipping them in at extortionate cost (what student has £3 for a sarnie?!)
£3 for a sandwich?? :eek: I definitely can't afford that, especially with the exchange rate not exactly being in my favor! Maybe I'll be bringing my own lunch... :)

Not sure how I feel about the toilet situation that other people brought up, but eating vegan food in a bus does sound pretty exciting...I might have to check that out!

maikeru
Apr 29th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I have only just discovered the café on Clapham Common that did fried vegan breakfasts was taken over a few years ago and stopped being all veggie.

Not that I was intending on going, but disappointing to no longer have the choice.

Michael.

flying plum
Apr 29th, 2008, 02:53 PM
maikeru - do you mean ciceros? yeah...it's been closed a while now. there's a place opposite the bus stop called 'green bag' that does some cafe type food, and will 'veganise' on request with scrambled tofu etc.

also, you can get a pytta i panna at bread etc. down next to sainsbury's that is called on the menu 'vegan special' :)

so, if you ever decide to go....now you have a choice ;)

amanda

alisont
Apr 30th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I liked that place they have got the vegan cake idea sussed there:D

Marrers
Apr 30th, 2008, 01:29 PM
So are they the best vegan cakes in London? (As good as or better than Fresh & Wild?) The public needs to know!

emzy1985
Apr 30th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I'm thinking of taking Emily to see a show and have a nice meal in London. where would you guys recommend that isn't too expensive but pretty nice. Buffet places would be cool too but I can't eat anywhere that isn't at least vegetarian because of my seafood issues. I just couldn't risk it. So any ideas?

Marrers
Apr 30th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Does it need to be in a particular area? If you've decided which show it would be useful to know where you'll be.

bryzee86
Apr 30th, 2008, 01:39 PM
So are they the best vegan cakes in London? (As good as or better than Fresh & Wild?) The public needs to know!

No, they're slightly dry the choccy cake anyway. But I won't buy that F&W one again. The portions are about half the size of what they used to be (and InSpiral's cakes are much bigger, too).

bryzee86
Apr 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I'm thinking of taking Emily to see a show and have a nice meal in London. where would you guys recommend that isn't too expensive but pretty nice. Buffet places would be cool too but I can't eat anywhere that isn't at least vegetarian because of my seafood issues. I just couldn't risk it. So any ideas?
How much would you be willing to spend per head. And with drinks?

emzy1985
Apr 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Maaaaaan you guys are demanding lol! I have no idea what show I'm gonna take her too.....maybe dirty dancing I dunno lol. We will have a travel card so it won't really matter cuz we will be in London all day most likely.

As for food hmmmmm well I'm guessing around £25 each MAX tbh and that is including drinks.

Any good?

bryzee86
Apr 30th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Go for Mildred's then. It's a good location and you can get a good meal with drinks for £25 per head. Only problem is that they don't take reservations, so if you really want the meal, get there early and sit at the bar if it's full. If you don't want the uncertainty, go for somewhere else (this is where someone else comes in with a suggestion).

http://www.mildreds.co.uk/

emzy1985
Apr 30th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Mildred's looks pretty awesome! I worked it out that without drinks it would cost around £38 which is ideal :D

Thanks Brian!

bryzee86
Apr 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM
brYan!!!

emzy1985
Apr 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM
If you could see the spread sheet with the amount of Brians on it that I am typing into atm you would understand.

I know your name is Bryan. Alot of truckers are called Brian and I have to type it many times over.

I apologise! :D

flying plum
Apr 30th, 2008, 08:42 PM
oooo, yeah, mildred's is lovely. and if you're going pre-show, you'll probably be fine.

a word on the shows - don't go and see grease. it's like a school production.

dirty dancing is meant to be good - also, avenue q if you like your comedy a bit more, um...risque ;)

amanda

bryzee86
Apr 30th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Phantom and Chicago are damn good as well. Hairspray will be the next one for us.

emzy1985
May 1st, 2008, 07:32 AM
I've seen Grease before and it was abit pants. Also seen Phantom of the Opera, We Will Rock You, mama mia and whatever the madness musical was called? Hairspray would also be right up Emily's street me thinks. Thanks again guys.

maikeru
May 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
maikeru - do you mean ciceros? yeah...it's been closed a while now. there's a place opposite the bus stop called 'green bag' that does some cafe type food, and will 'veganise' on request with scrambled tofu etc.

Has that gone too? Never been there but heard of it.

No, the place I mean is actually on the egde of the common, near Clapham Common Station. It is the shack like building just a short way along the main road to Clapham Junction that runs along the north side of the common. Near the paddling pool. It was an all vegetarian café.

Speaking of that road, it becomes Battersea Rise which had the all vegetarian Battersea Rice (see what they did there?). That seems to have gone too, and it was pretty good albeit rather expensive. Better for takeaway mind, as it was a typical small harshly lit hard chair café if you ate there.

Michael.