PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

gertvegan
Jul 25th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Vegan Style & Cuisine

Saturday 3 September 1 - 12:30pm - 4pm (Speaker 2pm)

Bourgeois Boheme and 222Veggie Vegan Restaurant, are co-hosting a vegan promotional event to showcase stylish vegan fashion and yummy vegan cuisine from around the world. You will have the opportunity to purchase stylish vegan footwear, bags, purses and more, taste a variety of delicious vegan dishes, and listen to an interesting presentation of an aspect of vegan life by a guest speaker.

Bourgeois Boheme - www.bboheme.com, 222 Veggie Vegan Restaurant - www.222veggievegan.com. Place: 222 Veggie Vegan Restaurant, 222 North End Road, West Kensington, W14 9NU.

RSVP: info@bboheme.com / 0207 602 9067. Cost: All this for only £5

Kevster
Jul 25th, 2005, 09:28 PM
First time i've heard of 222, i'll be checking out that place next time i'm in Londres.

gertvegan
Jul 26th, 2005, 09:55 PM
LONDON VEGANS MONTHLY MEETING: TALK BY ALISTAIR CURRIE FROM B.U.A.V.

'Vivisection in the 21st Century - and the Campaign Against It' is the title of this talk by the Campaigns Director of the British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection. Wed 27 July, 6.30pm to 9.30pm at the Community Rooms, Millman Street (entrance next to 38a), Bloomsbury, WC1. Admission free, but donations of money towards room hire and/or bringing vegan snacks to share would be appreciated. Free hot drinks provided. Newcomers welcome. No alcohol or smoking allowed, but nearby pub session afterwards is an option.

info@londonvegans.org.uk

AbFab
Aug 14th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Sorry if this place has been mentioned before, but there are two (at least) all-you-can-eat vegan Thai buffet restaurants in London (Camden and off Tottenham Crt Rd respectively) called 'Tai'. It costs a fiver for all you can eat and although you have to pay something like 20p for water, it's still well worth a trip. Last time I went with some friends from America who're also vegan and we sat there for at least 3 hours just eating plate after plate of the stuff. The mock duck dim sum pancakes rule. I felt so sick, but in a good way. Following up from jackxattack, there are indeed several more of these all-you-can-eat Oriental buffet establishments in London, I've already listed them on another thread but I'll detail them again now as they really belong here!:

Though not great for those not in or near London (UK), the following is a chain of eateries providing vegan organic Oriental cuisine, who provide wondrous food, buffet style. It’s a real bargain (£5-6, depending on what time you eat, or £3-4 for a takeaway box), and an utter treat. I love these places (some are slightly better than others, usually depending on size – the larger ones have more variety), but the small ones are still great. I’ve been to at least half of them, numerous times. Only complaint is that sometimes the food is not as hot (as in temperature not spiciness) as I’d like it to be, but it’s still delish.

Central London
Tai Buffet - 10 Greek Street, Soho, London, W1D 4DJ. (020) 7287 3730.
Joi Buffet - 14 Percy Street, (off Tottenham Court Road), London, W1T 1DR. (020) 7323 0981.
Wai - 32 Goodge Street, London, W1 2QJ. (020) 7637 4819.
Tai Veg - 3 Great Chapel Street (off Oxford Street), London, W1F 8FD. (020) 7439 0383.

North London
Tai Veg Noodle Bar - 11 Islington High Street, Islington London. (020) 7833 9399.
Tai Veg - 13 Islington High Street, Islington, London. (020) 7837 7767.
Buffet Veg - 271 Muswell Hill Broadway, London, N10 1DE. (020) 8442 0558.
CTV - 22 Golders Green Road, NW11. (020) 8201 8001.
Veg Veg - 6 Kentish Town Road, Camden, London, NW1 9NX. (020) 7284 4004.
Tai Veg Noodle Bar - 81 Kentish Town Road, NW1. (020) 7424 9008.

Just added August 2006:
Tai - 33 Old Compton Street, Soho. 0207 734 1380

I can't rave about these places enough; the food is excellent, good value, and 100% vegan! I do keep trying to get them to open up near me to save me the trip, but no joy as of yet! Go!

P.S. Just a note in case the proprietors are listening…
I went to the mothership restaurant (at least I believe it was) of all these smaller spin-off buffets, (Egerton Garden Mews, Knightsbridge) on several occasions – elegant décor, waiter service, slightly different dishes, bit more pricey, and was so sorry to see it change hands and become just another non-vegan restaurant. Would dearly love to see you open up again. Oh, and please bring one of your little buffet bars to Wimbledon, thank you.

VeganJohn
Aug 14th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Following up from jackxattack, there ar indeed several more of these all-you-can-eat Oriental buffet establishments in London, I've already listed them on another thread but I'll detail them again now as they really belong here!:

I can't rave about these places enough; the food is excellent, good value, and 100% vegan! I do keep trying to get them to open up near me to save me the trip, but no joy as of yet! Go!

I recently went to the Tai buffet on Greek Street in Soho and it was FANTASTIC. I could eat there every day.

Like AbFab says, GO!

:)

Lilac Hamster
Aug 19th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Hi,

The Vegan Families 2nd Summer picnic will be held on Sunday the 21st August in Hyde Park, London, from 1pm, meeting at the bandstand near Hyde Park Corner.

Please bring some vegan food and/or drink to share.

Please let me on Lesley@vegan4life.org.uk know if you think you will be able to make it. Hope to see you there.

We might be doing some more videoing for a small film of vegan families for showing on Veggievision but that's completely optional for anyone who wants to take part in this.

We have these things regularly so please email me to be on the list to be invited every time,

Best Wishes

Lesley
Lesley@vegan4life.org.uk

Marrers
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I have been to 222 Veggie Vegan once so far, in the evening. It is all vegan (apart from you can choose to have milk in your tea or coffee I think). I was very impressed with it and plan to go back very soon. I ate on my own so only tried one dish (pasta with mushrooms, in cashew sauce) but it was very good and the portion was huge! They do vegan alcohol too.
They do a £5 buffet during the day but it doesn't sound like the food is so interesting as the evening menu.

I have booked my ticket for the Dr Hadwen Gala Dinner - anyone else coming? I'm so excited, really enjoyed the Vegan Society Diamond Jubilee Ball last year so am looking forward to another posh do! :D

gertvegan
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Vegan Style & Cuisine

Saturday 3 September 1 - 12:30pm - 4pm (Speaker 2pm)

Bourgeois Boheme and 222Veggie Vegan Restaurant, are co-hosting a vegan promotional event ..... and listen to an interesting presentation of an aspect of vegan life by a guest speaker.Claudia from Animal Aid will be giving a quick talk.

Gorilla
Sep 5th, 2005, 12:34 PM
i know it's been mentioned before but i went to the Tai vegan Chinese buffet last Friday and i had to say how great that place is!!! it felt so good to be able to go into a restaurant, and know i could eat absolutely EVERYTHING on the buffet!! :D :D i'd never been to a totally vegan place before, despite living in the veggie paradise that is Brighton ;)

the food is delicious and great value...kind of weird seeing the meat-style soya pieces described as if they really were meat, and some people eating in there didn't seem to realise they were in a vegan restaurant ;)

AbFab
Sep 5th, 2005, 02:21 PM
the food is delicious and great value...kind of weird seeing the meat-style soya pieces described as if they really were meat, and some people eating in there didn't seem to realise they were in a vegan restaurant ;) I know! I take quite a lot of my non-veggie friends there, and most of them look at me piling up my plate and comment 'but you can't eat that!!!' and 'what are you doing???!!!'. They had one dish once that was actually too realistic for my liking and I had to keep checking that it really was vegan! Glad you enjoyed it. I was at Chi the day before you!

Demon
Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
I went to 222 Veggie Vegan in West Kensington a few weeks ago when visiting the Hammersmith odeon.

Everything except optional milk in coffee is vegan.

I had seitan stroganoff (with cashew cream) and it was delicious.

http://www.222veggievegan.com/about.html

Troutina
Sep 24th, 2005, 09:41 PM
i know it's been mentioned before but i went to the Tai vegan Chinese buffet last Friday and i had to say how great that place is!!! it felt so good to be able to go into a restaurant, and know i could eat absolutely EVERYTHING on the buffet!! :D :D i'd never been to a totally vegan place before, despite living in the veggie paradise that is Brighton ;)

the food is delicious and great value...kind of weird seeing the meat-style soya pieces described as if they really were meat, and some people eating in there didn't seem to realise they were in a vegan restaurant ;)

Can you please tell me where this is!!
I finally get to see my boyfriend after over a week without him (:( ) and want to go somewhere for a nice dinner, this sounds lovely!
Is it cheap??

Gorilla
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Hi Troutina, the vegan Chinese buffet is in Greek Street in Soho. i find the easiest way to get there is to get to Tottenham Court Road tube station, then go a little way along Charing Cross Rd, turn right into Manette St and then at the end of that road it's just round the corner on the left.

the buffet costs £6 for all you can eat and drinks are a couple of pounds each (i can recommend the Chinese beer!) :)

Mr Flibble
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:40 AM
the buffet is £5 if you go on a weekday before about 6, the jasmine tea is £1 and they normally do free refils. In summer it's better value and more pleasent to get a large takeaway box (£4) and eat it in Soho Square just at the end of Greek Street, if you're lucky they'll give you a free cup of jasmine tea. The place itself is part of a chain, and there are better ones around London than the greek street one. Just off TCR are two, one up by goodge street that's about the same size as Tai, and one called Joi back down towards the tube station (round the corner from HSBC), which in my opnion is the best (bigger range of food, more seating, ikea decor just like home ;)).

AbFab
Sep 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Just a quick note about the Chi chain. They bizarrely do seem to have a few teas on offer which have HONEY in them. :eek: I have raised this with them a couple of times, but not really gotten anywhere. I do hope this does not mean any of their food has honey in it!!!

Mr Flibble
Sep 26th, 2005, 11:46 AM
they also have free sweets in some of them when you pay that have geletin in!

AbFab
Sep 26th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Humph! I asked about those and the guy said somewhat hesitantly that they WERE vegan. However, I was unconvinced so didn't eat them. I think there are some language barriers to be overcome here as well.

Mr Flibble
Sep 26th, 2005, 11:54 AM
we'll probably find sometime in the future that it isn't seiten after all :D

AbFab
Sep 26th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Don't say that!!!!!
Actually, I did sample one dish there once that tasted SO realistically like meat I couldn't actually eat it.

Mr Flibble
Sep 26th, 2005, 12:24 PM
ditto

Stormypagan
Sep 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I used to go to the vegan Thai buffet a lot when I lived near London, and used to introduce folk to it!! Damm good price for the food too. It is delicious .... oooooo mouth watering at the thought of it now :0) And the realistic meat thing is spooky isn't it but then gluten products are!! Didn't know that they had gelatine in some of the desserts though :0( Mind you never had one as I always over do the first course hehehe!!

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

AbFab
Sep 26th, 2005, 03:16 PM
We were talking about the hard-boiled sweets they give you with the bill containing gelatine, not the dessert/afters/pudding type of sweet. I am also too full to ever have dessert anyway, but I know the desserts they used to have on offer (I have not looked at the menu in ages) were dairy based, like ice cream! Very odd.

Stormypagan
Sep 26th, 2005, 03:48 PM
We were talking about the hard-boiled sweets they give you with the bill containing gelatine, not the dessert/afters/pudding type of sweet.

DOH!!! whoops, sorry got completely confuddled hehehe

AbFab
Sep 26th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Some ice cream contains gelatine, doesn't it? So you are probably right too! :D

Troutina
Sep 26th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Hi Troutina, the vegan Chinese buffet is in Greek Street in Soho. i find the easiest way to get there is to get to Tottenham Court Road tube station, then go a little way along Charing Cross Rd, turn right into Manette St and then at the end of that road it's just round the corner on the left.

the buffet costs £6 for all you can eat and drinks are a couple of pounds each (i can recommend the Chinese beer!) :)

Ohhh I thought this was in Brighton!
Thanks very much anyway, it'll be good to know if I'm in London.
Which is almost never...!
:) :)