PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

derwenna
Oct 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like the Pizza Express is just round the corner from where we're playing so we'll have that as a backup option. Unfortunately Green Note doesn't open until 7 which is too late for us, but I'll bear that in mind for any future visits. Shame though because the band they've got on tomorrow looks interesting!

If anyone fancies any dancing, or just listening: http://www.barndance.org/ (it's not actually barn dance!).

mariana
Oct 12th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Does anyone know of any health food stores in the Spitalfields area, or alternatively, near LSE? One near Spitalfields would be more convenient, since that's the area where I live, but since I'll be spending a lot of time on the LSE campus, one in that area would be fine as well. I heard there used to be one just around the corner from my hall, but it closed awhile ago. So far I found a small Holland & Barrett's in Soho near LSE. They seemed to have a decent range of stuff, but not a huge selection. I also went to the Fresh & Wild in Soho, which was really big.

Also, does anyone know a good place to get good quality fresh fruit & veg in the Spitalfields area? I have been really disappointed with the quality I've seen in stores around here. There is a nice organic fruit shop around the corner, but it's really pricey. There's a Tesco Metro nearby, but their vegetables are frequently rotten. I've also been to a bigger Sainsbury's about a mile away, and their vegetables were better than Tesco but still not great. I've heard about an organic fruit and veg stall in Spitalfields market, but I've never seen it--it sounds like a myth to me! :) I went to the Marylebone farmer's market last weekend and it was nice (albeit small compared to what I'm used to in the States)--they had good quality vegetables there. It's not exactly conveniently located to me, but I took the tube there (Liverpool Street station is very close to me) so it wasn't that long of a journey. It was also nice because I enjoyed looking around Marylebone...and spending as much money on Rococo chocolates as I just had on vegetables! :eek: It would just be nicer to find something close by so I could pick up some carrots when I realize I don't have any and need them for dinner.

robb
Oct 12th, 2008, 09:52 AM
There is a Health Food store in Spitalfields, but it has moved recently. It used to be on the west side of Commercial Street between Brushfield Street and Lamb Street. I think it's now on the east side of Commercial Street and a little further south - but if you go to where it was, there's a note in the window saying where they've moved to.

mariana
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks, robb! I will take a look. Do you mean more towards Fashion St/Whites Row, or after the V where Commercial splits from Toynbee? I went to where it used to be and there was construction there and I didn't see a sign...unless I missed it or went to the wrong place. Do you know the name of the shop? Thanks again...it would be really nice to find one around here, especially since Commercial's very close to me.

robb
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure. But having had a quick Google, it looks like it might be called "Spitalfields Organic" and be next to "St John Bread & Wine", a map of which is here: http://www.stjohnbreadandwine.com/contact_us/

That might actually make it a little further north rather than a little further south...

But it's somewhere around there. ;)

mariana
Oct 12th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Hmm, well I will look around Commercial St and hopefully find it! If I do find it, I'll let you know where it is. :)

robb
Oct 12th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I'll be down that way Friday morning too. So if I find it first, I'll let you know. ;)

Gorilla
Oct 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM
sounds very expensive, but i'd like to try the tiramisu cake :)

Marrers
Oct 13th, 2008, 11:31 PM
It was tiramisu cake mariana, maybe that is why you missed it (it was on the bottom shelf of the cake cabinet when I was in, there was no sign saying what it was but when it comes to cake I always say "what's that? and what is that one?" It would be dreadful not to be fully informed of the options before making my choice!) :)

mariana
Oct 13th, 2008, 11:40 PM
It was tiramisu cake mariana, maybe that is why you missed it (it was on the bottom shelf of the cake cabinet when I was in, there was no sign saying what it was but when it comes to cake I always say "what's that? and what is that one?" It would be dreadful not to be fully informed of the options before making my choice!) :)
Lol, good point. :) I spotted the chocolate cake right away and immediately decided on it because I've been craving chocolate cake for the last week! But I think next time I need to fully appraise the cake situation before I make my choice. Or just sample everything. :D

Marrers
Oct 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
And you can always take some away! (When we had the VF meeting there I got a brownie and a cheesecake cos I couldn't decide - I know I could rely on the others to help hoover them up! And then I got another cake, a cookie and some balls to take away!)

bryzee86
Oct 13th, 2008, 11:56 PM
And then I got some balls to take away

Oh my...

Marrers
Oct 14th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Well bryzee as you know I do have my own - but it's always as well to have a few spare . . .

mariana
Oct 14th, 2008, 12:27 AM
And you can always take some away! (When we had the VF meeting there I got a brownie and a cheesecake cos I couldn't decide - I know I could rely on the others to help hoover them up! And then I got another cake, a cookie and some balls to take away!)
Wow! Which was your favorite? I got cake and brownie for takeaway and wanted to try some other things, but it was so expensive as it was... I also had a nice smoothie. I think I can justify the expense though because my small studio flat doesn't have a real oven--it has a combination microwave/convection oven that has no temperature control--so I can't make cakes or cookies! And I certainly can't live a cake-free existence. :D

Oh my...
Lol...reminds me of the time I was at a Chinese restaurant with a friend and she got a bunch of balls (sesame balls, red bean balls, something else) and was making so many references to balls! 'I just love balls' 'I've had so many balls tonight...but I just can't seem to stop' etc :p

mariana
Oct 20th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I went to Rootmaster yesterday. As I think someone mentioned on the thread before, the options are reduced on Sundays--only 5 choices. They also didn't have dessert listed on the board, but when I asked they said they had 3 desserts available. I had pumpkin and spinach pasta (which came with a delicious cheezy sauce and tomatoes) and chocolate cake. I *really* liked the pasta, which is saying a lot because I usually don't care for vegan cheese. The cake was really moist, although I thought it could use more icing. It was still good, though. I will definitely be going back, because it's only a 5-10 minute walk from my place and because the pasta was so good. I'd warn people against getting take-away, though. When they first brought it out to me it was basically just in a paper bowl, and when I said I'd ordered take-away so that I could...take it away (imagine that!)...they gave me a strange look and put another bowl on top of the bowl and wrapped it in a piece of cling film. Unfortunately the bit of cling film did not hold very well and some of the sauce oozed out into my bag as I carried it home. :(

I also found a chocolate shop at the edge of Spitalfields (an actual shop, not a stall, on the Brushfield Street end) that sells vegan chocolates. It's called Montezuma. They're clearly marked, for the most part, and they even have a vegan assortment box. I got the chocolate orange truffles and they're really good. :)

bryzee86
Oct 20th, 2008, 11:32 PM
montezumas is bloomin awesome.

Must remember to try rootmaster when I have more money.

mariana
Oct 21st, 2008, 12:06 AM
Maybe you can get a "free" meal like I did at Pogo...oops!

Gwydion
Oct 21st, 2008, 01:16 AM
^ Haha.

Glad you enjoyed it mariana. I still think we should organise some sort of meet-up there, rent out the top deck for a couple of hours or something :)

Marrers
Oct 21st, 2008, 01:26 AM
Nice to have a review of Rootmaster at last!

mariana
Oct 21st, 2008, 02:30 AM
^ Haha.

Glad you enjoyed it mariana. I still think we should organise some sort of meet-up there, rent out the top deck for a couple of hours or something :)
That would be awesome. I'd really like to eat on the bus itself since I just did take-away (and who doesn't want to eat in a bustaurant?). :D

BlackCats
Oct 21st, 2008, 08:29 AM
I went to Rootmaster yesterday. As I think someone mentioned on the thread before, the options are reduced on Sundays--only 5 choices. They also didn't have dessert listed on the board, but when I asked they said they had 3 desserts available.

Maybe they started doing cakes on a Sunday after my bitchiness towards them when they didn't have any cake available.:mad::D Yay, we should have a meet-up there!

I have never tried Montezumas, I think I should.:)

Marrers
Oct 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM
Sorry BC I forgot you'd review Rootmaster too. :o I must have blanked it out because no cake was involved! ;)

Stu
Oct 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Maybe you can get a "free" meal like I did at Pogo...oops!

Did you 'forget' to pay at Pogo???

mariana
Oct 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM
Did you 'forget' to pay at Pogo???

I really did forget, I swear! Next time I'm going to leave the largest tip ever.... :)

bradders
Oct 21st, 2008, 06:10 PM
whilst exonerating us all from this crime I hope lol.