PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43

mariana
Oct 28th, 2008, 07:22 PM
now, we're much better behaved, of course ;)

Sure...! ;):D

bradders
Oct 29th, 2008, 01:02 AM
at various meetings and dinners "Jeremy Bentham will be in attendance" is quite common and they wheel his body in often with the head in the jar on the table in front of him so they actually have dinner on the same table as a man's pickled head!

robb
Oct 29th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I seem to recall that when I was at UCL, Kings was generally referred to as "Strand Polytechnic". And Imperial was "South Kensington Technical High School". ;)

mariana
Oct 29th, 2008, 03:58 AM
at various meetings and dinners "Jeremy Bentham will be in attendance" is quite common and they wheel his body in often with the head in the jar on the table in front of him so they actually have dinner on the same table as a man's pickled head!
Um, ew! :eek: Well that really sets the mood for dinner, doesn't it?

flying plum
Oct 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I seem to recall that when I was at UCL, Kings was generally referred to as "Strand Polytechnic". And Imperial was "South Kensington Technical High School". ;)

don't worry, we called UCL the Euston Tech ;)

i actually think there is a group on facebook called 'the strand poly is better than the euston tech' or something to that effect. having been at both institutions, i can confirm of course that the rivalry is all in good nature, but i will say that the King's library is FAR superior to the UCL one :o

amanda

Stu
Oct 29th, 2008, 09:10 AM

How do I enrol?

bradders
Oct 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM
by making a large donation or being inbred

flying plum
Oct 29th, 2008, 11:46 AM
oi - i'm neither, thank you very much :p

bradders
Oct 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM
ok there are exceptions, as ever but most UCL students are stuck up and disgustingly rich (the opinion of a goldsmiths student

robb
Oct 29th, 2008, 12:52 PM
most UCL students are stuck up and disgustingly rich

I'm all for a bit of competition and banter between colleges, but this is an absolute load of rubbish that borders on being offensive. It's nothing more than crass generalisation and unfounded prejudice.

Now I must return to my yacht and get away from all you proles. ;)

No, but seriously, that's a load of old tosh.

bradders
Oct 29th, 2008, 01:03 PM
sorry, sorry I should have said most of the ones I've encountered thus far and I'm sorry if I caused any offence

robb
Oct 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM
No, none taken (hence the "winky" bit).

After all, I know you Goldsmith types can't help it... ;)

bradders
Oct 29th, 2008, 01:18 PM
it's all we have

flying plum
Oct 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM
actually, i must say i know an awful lot of people at UCL who do fit that bill. but then the same goes for KCL and LSE and also Goldsmiths, actually. In fact, at the latter, a lot of rich kids 'pretending' to be poor doing the starving artist thing...

i think pretty much every Russell Group/Redbrick uni has that kind of population...

amanda

bradders
Oct 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM
actually I'd agree with you on that about so many of Goldsmiths students (art dept) who really irritate me it's filled with 'vegetarians' who eat fish and even chicken, and all the girls wear the same purple velvet and green wool clothes and have an air of feigned superiority about them. the worst ones are those that complain about the fees saying that "mummy and daddy can't afford to pay for this and my flat and clothes and materials what are we to do", apply for finance like the rest of us perhaps, there was a girl in the union the other day with an iphone moaning about fees, how mad is that

mariana
Oct 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Unis here are still a lot less expensive than in the US, though! (private unis in the US, that is) Though I think scholarships tend to be more prevalent in the States.

bradders
Oct 29th, 2008, 07:22 PM
they are a lot less expensive and provided you have no prior debts the finance for those who needed is more than enough on which to live but at post grad the support from the unis in america is much better msinly because of the huge endowment many of them have, in some cases like harvard this is due to slightly anoying british philanthropists bankroling them early on

mariana
Oct 29th, 2008, 07:34 PM
this is due to slightly anoying british philanthropists bankroling them early on
lol!

bradders
Oct 29th, 2008, 09:15 PM
e.g. John Harvard, why couldn't he spend that money on a new British uni?
ah well ne'er mind we do have a lot of very god unis in this city even if we do insist on moaning about them, we just can't afford to hire the dome for grad ceremonies or to have football stadia the size of wembly for inter college matches

flying plum
Oct 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM
perhaps because, as a puritan minister who emigrated to the US, he wanted to found something equivalent to Oxford/Cambridge in the new world?

and i wouldnt want to dome for my graduation ceremony. though it would have been nice if the UoL still used the Royal Albert Hall. the Barbican didn't have quite the same razzmatazz...

back to the topic of vegan london - i see that there is a new Tibits opened in that new terrifying shopping centre in Shepherd's Bush. I've not been to the other one either, but just for the information....

amanda

bryzee86
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:38 AM
tibits is well expensive.

I popped in for a little look a few days ago, and it's about £2 per 100g!

bradders
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:48 AM
i haven't heard of this place before, is it good? but if it's too expencive then how dare you taunt me

:P

Marrers
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:54 AM
back to the topic of vegan london - i see that there is a new Tibits opened in that new terrifying shopping centre in Shepherd's Bush. I've not been to the other one either, but just for the information....
Yay! Finally back on topic! I kept looking whenever there was a new post, thinking someone had 'food news' but it was all boring uni talk. :undecided:

i haven't heard of this place before, is it good?
I mentioned my visit on page 17 of this thread, post 841. It is quite expensive and hard to monitor your spending since the food is charged by weight.

bradders
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:57 AM
yes indeed back on topic no more mr bentham here.
yeah that place might be a really bad idea for me

Marrers
Oct 30th, 2008, 02:03 AM
It's interesting but not fabulous imo - the food I mean (the interior is nice, it's a good place to go for a drink - it can be hard to get vegan wine etc out and about). Much of the nicest looking food isn't vegan. You're better off at Beatroot or Vita Organic.