PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43

Zero
Nov 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
^ No difference in my mind. It was more the fact that people assume that Selfridges is some sort of ponceteria, and anyone who goes in there would be a hooray wanker.

They have vegan oreos imported from the USA and a good selection of other foods that are vegan, so hooray! ;)

mariana
Nov 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I wanted to report on the seating situation in Rootmaster!

I went there for take-away again today and they let me sit upstairs while I was waiting. BTW, the food was delicious both times I've been there. This time I had a teriyaki stir fry with tofu, veg, and cashews, and banana tempura dipped in chocolate and drizzled in maple syrup for dessert (*yum* is all I can say). As one might expect, seating is pretty limited. There's a small bar at the window that seats four, but it's pretty cramped and I wouldn't want to sit there. Then there's a table for two and two tables for four, plus a big booth area that was set for eight (but I think you could probably squish in 10-12 people). (There's also a lot of outdoor seating, but obviously that doesn't work if the weather's not nice.) The ambiance upstairs was actually quite nice. It was lit completely by candlelight and, although this sounds weird for a bus, it was kind of romantic. The service was excellent, even though I was just getting takeaway, and even in my takeaway box the food was arranged nicely with garnishes. :) And I also almost got away without paying again--I had to remind my server that I needed to pay! lol.

Stu
Nov 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
It was more the fact that people assume that Selfridges is some sort of ponceteria, and anyone who goes in there would be a hooray wanker.

Two superb phrases contained in just one sentence. I love you.

And I also almost got away without paying again--I had to remind my server that I needed to pay! lol.

Are you related to Derren Brown?

mariana
Nov 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Are you related to Derren Brown?
Lol! :)

Well in this particular case I think the server was too busy trying to flirt with me to remember to charge me (then after he swiped my card, he attempted to sign my receipt before realizing I was the one who needed to sign it :p:D).

bradders
Nov 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM
oh my, was he just beamed down from somewhere,
on a side note congrats on making the 1000th post

mariana
Nov 6th, 2008, 12:07 AM
hehe, no kidding :p
wow, didn't realize how long this thread was getting! there will probably be a part II soon.

Ruby Rose
Nov 6th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I love you.

Ai thang yow! :bigsmile:

Mariana - where is Rootmaster? It sounds worth checking, and I'm in town again next week.

mariana
Nov 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Ai thang yow! :bigsmile:

Mariana - where is Rootmaster? It sounds worth checking, and I'm in town again next week.
It's just off Brick Lane in a car park called Ely's Yard. It's a bit hidden. Here's a map: http://www.root-master.co.uk/location.html. If you're walking down Brick Lane, there's a burger stall at the entrance to Ely's Yard. Or there's an entrance off Hanbury Street--from there you can sort of see the bus.

flying plum
Nov 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM
i just had a look at the rootmaster menu and ti looks AMAZING!

with regards to your question becca - you could ask them about taking over the restaurant for an evening? food looks well tasty and (i think?) all vegan!

amanda

Marrers
Nov 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I wanted to warn people to check your receipts in Fresh & Wild on Brewers Street. On the only two things I looked at today the pricing seemed shambolic so who knows what else is priced differently on the system compared to on the shelf - I have to admit that although I usually check the shelf price when deciding whether to buy something when I'm buying several things I've often forgotten exactly how much everything was by the time I get to the tills.

Today I only bought a Hoxton plain falafel wrap so was very aware of the price - especially after our discussion here about the cost (they didn't have the aubergine ones today). On the shelf it said £3.29 but on the manufacturers label of the wrap £3.59 was printed. At the till it scanned as £3.59. :mad: (They reduced it to £3.29 after checking the shelf when I complained but I bet they don't adjust the price in the system. )

I also noticed that the vegan cakes were all marked at £2.49 on the shelf but on the manufacturers label £2.39 was printed. I wonder which price it would have come up as when scanned. :rolleyes:

bradders
Nov 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM
the cakes always seem to go through cheaper than advertised when I go, but shelf labels seem to be acting in purely an advisory capacity. There is a problem and that it isn't illegal specifically to show a lower price on an item (this is called invitation to treat, meaning they are inviting you to make an offer) than they actually charge. However you can get them with advertising regulations and if people complain to management every time that product are labelled cheaper than they scan then they may sort it out, if not good old trading standards will have a look and they may be made to GIVE you the item as compensation and will be monitored on their advertising.
Toys R Us used to have a head office policy to put cheap products near expensive ones but put the price label of the cheaper one in front of the expensive one. In our case they put a £30 lego price in front of a lego set that should have been £80. My mum didn't notice at the till until my aunt piped up. They wouldn't lower the price or move the label. We went to the trading standards office and they would send people to check the situation etc and go through asdescribed above. Sadly on that particular product they didremove the price before they got there so they got away with it and little 8 year old me didn't get the lego set after all

flying plum
Nov 18th, 2008, 09:24 AM
There is a problem and that it isn't illegal specifically to show a lower price on an item (this is called invitation to treat, meaning they are inviting you to make an offer) than they actually charge.

aaaah, ye olde pharmaceutical society of GB v Boots and Fisher v Bell *gets misty eyed* oh how i weep for the simple days of first year law *sob* ;)

personally, i feel that invitations to treat in the context of a shop is a load of bunkum...especially when you look at cases like Fisher v Bell (where the respondants were found not guilty of contravening legislation prohibiting the sale of offensive weapons, because the flick knife on display was only an invitation to treat, not an actual offer of sale. blarney. i can't remember for sure, but i wouldnt' be surprised if that was a Denning judgment...

amanda

bradders
Nov 18th, 2008, 09:39 AM
indeed, and all because the offensive weapons act 1959 didn't use the words "exposing for sale" like other such laws. Also self service means that we are the ones making the first offer to buy not the vendor to sell (boots case) which they of course accept and tell us the price they want.
There are exceptions that are considered legal offers of sale, price lists and bills of tariffs eg the legally required bar tariff on licensed premises.
Advertising standards are however enforceable where it is not an offer, so by them arguing that the price on the shelf is an invitation but not an offer advertising rules may be applied conversely they would need to argue that it is an offer to get around advertising law landing them straight out of the frying pan and into the fire as it is an offer and now a binding price.
Don't you just love English law (yes english as it is a bit different in Scotland)

flying plum
Nov 18th, 2008, 12:53 PM
you a lawyer, bradders, or just a contract law geek? :D

i'm not sure what you're trying to say about advertising there though...i'm not overly familiar with the legislation...

amanda

Zero
Nov 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM
This example makes it quite clear IMO:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/the_economy/441740.stm

bryzee86
Nov 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM
you a lawyer, bradders, or just a contract law geek? :D

just a geek.

*adopts bette midler voice*

I know him so weeeeelllll.

bradders
Nov 18th, 2008, 11:15 PM
just a geek.

*adopts bette midler voice*

I know him so weeeeelllll.

WATCH IT!

or I'll send a brigade of my exes to go round and sit on you, and not in a fun way
:D:D:D

bryzee86
Nov 19th, 2008, 12:21 AM
i read "sit" very wrongly indeed...

bradders
Nov 19th, 2008, 12:24 AM
ha ha ha, how do you know it wasn't a typo?:D:D:D

bryzee86
Nov 19th, 2008, 12:26 AM
it would not surprise me....

Gorilla
Dec 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
glad you had a good time, Squigaletta. by the way, Peking Palace is in Archway not Soho. :)

squigaletta
Dec 2nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
whoops, thank you, good job I didn't drag my sis round soho looking for it, she would not have been impressed not being the most tolerant of omnis in the first place!

BlackCats
Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Sounds a yummy weekend Squigaletta.:) I want to try V and M!

robb
Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
What's V and M? I thought I knew all of London's vegan-friendly epicurial establishments... :confused:

BlackCats
Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
http://www.vandmrestaurants.com/