PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43

robb
Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks!

I'm surprised I haven't come across them before...

Gorilla
Dec 3rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
i really want to try V&M as well but i don't know when i'll get the chance to visit London again.

squigaletta
Dec 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
They'd only been open for something like 4 days when I went in, I'm looking forward to trying the fine dining one, though like you gorilla I'm not sure when I will next be in ldn

bryzee86
Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
I went to V&M for my lunch the other day - burgers for 99p, nuggets for 99p, shakes for Ł1.49.

NOM!!!!

Gorilla
Dec 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
cheap, indeed - but was it decent quality?

squigaletta
Dec 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM
the milkshake I had was definitely good, had banana and rice ice cream in it (plus was free :D) dunno if the chicken nuggets were good quality but they were well tasty!

bradders
Dec 4th, 2008, 05:43 PM
going to try v and m today

robb
Dec 4th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Anyone know if they're actually registered with the Vegan Society? I can see the logo on their site, but I note that it doesn't say "Registered with..." and I can't see them in the Vegan Society's list of registered users (http://www.vegansociety.com/business/trademark/listings/page1.html).

And while they use an "Approved by the Vegetarian Society" logo, I can't see them in the Vegetarian Society's list of approved users (http://www.seedlingshowcase.com/corporate08/eating_out_search_tab.asp?type=Restaurant) either...

I'm just a little concerned at their mention of honey, and their sister site at www.vegveg.com (http://www.vegveg.com/) (which covers lots of the supposedly vegan Chinese buffets) includes recipes that contain eggs, oyster sauce and chicken broth...

I emailed them. But it bounced.

Stu
Dec 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
You mean vegans don't each chicken???

BlackCats
Dec 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Anyone know if they're actually registered with the Vegan Society? I can see the logo on their site, but I note that it doesn't say "Registered with..." and I can't see them in the Vegan Society's list of registered users (http://www.vegansociety.com/business/trademark/listings/page1.html).
And while they use an "Approved by the Vegetarian Society" logo, I can't see them in the Vegetarian Society's list of approved users (http://www.seedlingshowcase.com/corporate08/eating_out_search_tab.asp?type=Restaurant) either...
I'm just a little concerned at their mention of honey, and their sister site at www.vegveg.com (http://www.vegveg.com/) (which covers lots of the supposedly vegan Chinese buffets) includes recipes that contain eggs, oyster sauce and chicken broth...
I emailed them. But it bounced.

Can they use those logos if they aren't registered with them.:confused: I was planning on going there next week actually, 99p burgers sound fab.

robb
Dec 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Can they use those logos if they aren't registered with them.:confused:
Legally, no.

Which may explain why one of the stalls at the Animal Aid Fayre had stopped selling jacket patches with the Vegan Society logo on....

BlackCats
Dec 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Legally, no.

Hmm, well tell us if you hear anything more, maybe I will go elsewhere next week, isn't there a new place in Soho that Marrers mentioned....:)

robb
Dec 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Well, I don't want to besmirch their reputation unduly.
There may be an innocent explanation...

mariana
Dec 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah, to be honest I've been a bit suspicious of them since I first heard of it, but didn't want to say anything because I don't have any evidence. I'd be interested to find out if you discover anything, robb.

I know I keep posting about Rootmaster, but I keep going...hehe. I thought some people might be interested to know that the menu's changed (I think maybe they change it seasonally, but I'm not sure), and they now have 6 desserts instead of just 3. They've just updated it on their site. I think the triple chocolate fondant and the coffee and chocolate panna cotta with biscotti both sound delicious! I just wish they weren't so expensive. :( (They're not that much, but for me the prices seem a little high.)

Mr Flibble
Dec 5th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Well, I don't want to besmirch their reputation unduly.
There may be an innocent explanation...

We're talking about the same restuarant that shut down after the BBC1 oprime time expose and launched a new one called v&m in the same building with the same management? Surely not :)

A restuarant in the same chain was formally giving out sweets when you've paid that contain gelatine.

Strangely enough one of the founders of V&M who owns a company that makes vegan products has a picture of him at one of their partners "Taiwan Honey":

http://www.nextgenerationgourmet.com/aboutus.htm

Very odd!

squigaletta
Dec 5th, 2008, 10:16 PM
eek, I'm scared now!!

bryzee86
Dec 5th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Crap. I won't be going back there now.

Elahiya
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:08 PM
it is very scary and keeps one off to try or to go there again. well, maybe youŽd be better off to ask about the ingredients used like at any other locations, too.

squigaletta
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hmmm...it might be ok though, we could just be jumping to the worst conclusions?

bradders
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM
we could be jumping to the worst conclusions, one of their companies making honey does not necessarily make all their food not vegan. The new place may also be clean and the staffing might not be exploited on the levels claimed of their old store there.
BUT there are some questions to be answered by them. I think it worthwhile trying to get a firm written response from them with regards to their ingredients, production methods etc.

squigaletta
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:22 PM
oh yeh, absolutely, I won't be eating there again until there have been some answers but I don't want to write them off just yet (mainly coz I ate there!) and will hold judgement for the time being

bryzee86
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
To be honest, the new place looked completely different to the old place. the staff were different (if a bit rushed), and the base ingredients on display behind the counter (Plamil mayo, soya spray cream, even burger sauce made with plamil mayo right before your eyes) gave me comfort before I ordered.

bradders
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:34 PM
although as their email address is bouncing it's a bit tricky getting info out of them.
I'll send them a letter (get the reply sent to my uni post box rather than home for security of course, don't fancy peeing off Chinese restaurateurs and giving them my home address after the Cook Report a few years ago lol)
until I get firm answers, no eating there

robb
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I emailed VegVeg about those recipes too. No reply so far...

bryzee86
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I emailed V&M and VegVeg a similarly worded email - V&M bounced, so hopefully the other one will arrive.