PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

suzieyoga
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Yes she is stinking rich, but generous to a fault as well and very respectful of my life style choices. So, having said that..... my husband and I only get away like this once a year and we like our creature comforts like really good coffee in the morning. Michael is now addicted to starbucks every afternoon. I'll follow your suggestions for zones and send you a list of hotels for approval.

Mr Flibble
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:31 PM
So you have good coffee in the morning, then starbucks in the afternoon?

There's starbucks all over London, including at the eurostar terminal. Most people hate them thou, even thou they do soy lattes.

harpy
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:32 PM
OK, Mr F., I admit S Kensington is a posh area but I think the Forum and some of the other hotels round there may be within the budget Suzie mentioned.

It's not that I'm a SW London nationalist or anything, but as well as the ones in Soho etc there are also some vegan-friendly places in this direction - 222 near Earls Court, The Gate in Hammersmith, and (further out) the Riverside Vegetaria in Kingston. I concede the Soho ones are closer together though.

Getting to theatres shouldn't be a problem from any of the places that have been mentioned, but (as in other cities) you would do well to book in advance if there are particular shows you want to see. You can book on-line.

Zone 1 is essentially everything inside the circle line (which should be clearly visible on the Transport For London map). To give you an idea of journey times, S. Kensington is on the edge of zone 1 and it would normally take you less than half an hour to get to say Piccadilly Circus from there by tube. I live on the boundary of zones 2 and 3 and I allow about an hour to get to Piccadilly Circus by tube; less to get to Waterloo (e.g. for the Old Vic) by overground train. There are hotels right in the centre, but my guess is that they would probably be either really expensive or not very nice - might be wrong though.

Mr Flibble
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:03 PM
i know nothing about hotels in London, I've only ever stayed round people's places, stayed out all night or gone home on the last train ;)

I agree that central hotels will most likely be horrific or expensive. There is of course more to London than the Soho/Covent Garden area, and the science museum/history museums are based in Kensington. Kingston is lovely, any place with a Heals is good in my book. Their Green Fair has gone a bit crap in recent years thou.

mew_76
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I got a great deal on a central London hotel before I moved back to London on this site: http://www.londontown.com/

You totally wanna stay central if you're just visiting, central London is pretty small and you can walk most places if you're central.

Fresh and Wild stores are great for good organic food: http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/freshandwild

Maoz falafel is delicious for a late night takeaway snack and quite cheap too for loads of food.

http://www.maoz.nl/

There are loads of good lebanese restaurants on the edgeware road too. :D

aubergine
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Travelodge or Travel Inn is pretty cheap for a London Hotel.

Lilac Hamster
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Gertvegan,
My husband remembers he did ask at the Riverside and even they did not know about Peroni which was a bit surprising for a proper veggie restaurant.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway,

Lesley

alisont
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Ive booked a night at the Kings cross travelodge next month - they are having a £10 and £26 room offer only certain nights and lodges but I got a Fri night on this offer.

Looking foward to trying one of the vegan friendly buffets in Soho area:)

Alison

LittleMissVegan
Jan 19th, 2006, 08:38 AM
In Shopping City in Wood Green it has a market bit and there is a veggie cafe in there. He does lots of nice things and sells things to take away and it's pretty cheap too!

aubergine
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Looked up Maoz on the net. How did I miss this place before? A trip up town is definately in order.

mew_76
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Yeah baby! Moaz rocks my socks off, its sooooo good! :D

Mr Flibble
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Looked up Maoz on the net. How did I miss this place before? A trip up town is definately in order.

The one on Brewer street is pretty new. I dunno how much of their stuff is vegan thou? It doesn't say on their website. The only time I've been to one was in Holland, where they've been for years.

Kevster
Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:12 AM
POGO Cafe looking for volunteers

Pogo Cafe, Hackney, East London, 100% vegan, mostly organic, all volunteer-run workers co-op is urgently looking for dedicated people to volunteer for shifts (front of house, middle kitchen, kitchen assistant, chef) in order to ensure the survival of the cafe. You won't earn cash, but get some merchandise and meet exciting new and really nice people. For more info:

www.pogocafe.co.uk

Stu
Jan 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
In Shopping City in Wood Green it has a market bit and there is a veggie cafe in there. He does lots of nice things and sells things to take away and it's pretty cheap too!
That's just near where I live! I know the place you mean. It's just a shame that Wood Green is Hell.

LittleMissVegan
Jan 24th, 2006, 07:58 PM
That's just near where I live! I know the place you mean. It's just a shame that Wood Green is Hell.

Yup Stu it's a good little cafe and kinda I stumbled on it by accident!!! And the food must be made for kings cos the bloke who runs it had always got short shorts on!! Should be down that end soon so will be off down again no doubt!

Wood Green is manic!!! Especially nipping to Sainbury's on a saturday dinner time :eek: . Not used to it being a townie!!! LOL

Tiggerwoo
Jan 27th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Went to Eat And Two Veg yesterday in Marylebone ...... a vegge / vegan modern diner with a carnivore friend and both of us loved it! There is a really good choice and are open from 9am in the morning for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I had mezze to start, and a moroccan couscous, chickpea and butternut squash dish for the main course... delicious and their freshly squeezed juice recipes were brilliant.

Kevster
Feb 9th, 2006, 09:46 PM
'Vegan Quiz [22nd February] benefit for N & E London Hunt Sabs
Come down to a Vegan Quiz at our café on Wednesday 22nd of February and Support North and East London Hunt Sabs. Have a meal, show off your knowledge with a chance of top Prizes like a whole Pogo cake or bottle of Caylus wine. £2 per team. Quiz starts 8.30.'

http://www.pogocafe.co.uk/

alisont
Feb 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I got to sample Londons vegan cusine - superb selection, good value too.

Tried one of the chain of Chinese buffets - all vegan for £6 i could try all the foods - the mock meats were really nice (the mock prawns were scary - couldnt bring myself to eat those!) nice selection of chinese fruit teas or juices too and very helpful staff.

I also discovered Beatroot in Berwick street - their choc cake was divine, also tried a crispy cake. Lunch there would be good............

On Sat i had a take out tub from a veggie/vegan place in Notting hill/Portabello road (saw a vege food sign above the market and headed in!) delicious food.

Neils yard seemed expensive just had a juice there but menu looked good, was tempted by the homemade vegan icecreams but at £3.75 i resisted!

Stocked up on take home food in fresh and wild and planet organic.

Good job i walked everywhere the amount i ate!

Alison

alisont
Feb 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM
For a cheap yet clean and comfy stay in London Travelodge have extended their £26 room offer - I stayed in the Kings Cross Farrington hotel Fri for £26. Good sized room with en suite, you pay extra for breakfast - i never bother always a juice bar to be found in London!

For basic know what your getting hotel rooms travelodge are good!

www.travelodge.co.uk (http://www.travelodge.co.uk)

Lex
Feb 19th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I just popped into the green note café (www.greennote.co.uk (http://www.greennote.co.uk/)) in Camden town, London, on my way home tonight. They do tapas, of which about 12 are vegan or can be done as a vegan option, and all the mains (5 or 6 on the menu) are vegan or can be. I had red tortilla chips with blackened tomato salsa and a nice guacamole, and a salad of baked marinated tofu with crispy veg and a sesame dressing, washed down with some Freedom organic (vegan) lager. Yum! As a bonus, there was a bit of impromptu live jamming too. Celebrating an omni friend’s birthday on Tuesday, reckon I might take her there. Check it out next time you’re in Camden! :)

Troutina
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I went to Tai (the vegan thai all you can eat buffet, 10 Greek Street- nearest tube Tottenham Court Road) and there are no words to describe how impressed I am!! Really friendly and helpful staff, delicious drinks, amazing food- all for £5 for the buffet, £1.50 for drinks. Prawn crackers!!! Spring rolls, pancakes, seaweed, sauces, dips, rice, noodles, about a dozen 'meat' dishes, some potato dishes. Just amazing! I was willing myself not to get full, it was all so delicious! I had vegetable and fruit juice and my partner had red guava juice, both so refreshing and delicious.
I will definetly be going back!!

Marrers
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:04 PM
My favourite is Sasa on the other side of the archway (a few doors along from Tai).
Tai used to be my favourite but then I thought it went downhill a bit - I'm not a huge fan of the mock meat and they stopped doing most of the vegetable dishes. This was maybe a year ago or more so perhaps I should check it out again!

Marrers
Mar 28th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Anyone been to Vita Organics in Soho yet? (Wardour Street on corner of Meard Street)

Antonia
Mar 28th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Anyone been to Vita Organics in Soho yet? (Wardour Street on corner of Meard Street)
Yup. It was very scrummy. A small place, a little cold because the door was often open with people queuing to get a meal-to-go. It's a buffet that they serve you. You can chose between something like 3, 5 & 7 servings. They even had vegan desserts but they were a bit expensive for me. The food was amazing though, stirfrys, curries, stews, salad... They had loads of cookbooks out that you could have a look at too.

Marrers
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Mmn - sounds like a rival to Beatroot. Must give it a try, the food looked wonderful when I looked in the window.