PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

LittleMissVegan
Mar 31st, 2006, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know if there is anywhere nice to eat in South Kensington? As close to Science Museum are as possible (my sense of direction is just embarrasing!) :o

I'm going with an omni so can be either vegan place or other places with vegan options?

Tiggerwoo
Mar 31st, 2006, 09:50 AM
I used to work at South Kensington Station, and I can't think of anywhere off hand. You'd probably be better off travelling a couple of stops on the tube to Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square where there's loads of stuff. Although there are a few cafe type places that may do something. Will try and find my veggie London book today and see if there is anything listed in ther area.

LittleMissVegan
Mar 31st, 2006, 10:50 AM
I used to work at South Kensington Station, and I can't think of anywhere off hand. You'd probably be better off travelling a couple of stops on the tube to Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square where there's loads of stuff. Although there are a few cafe type places that may do something. Will try and find my veggie London book today and see if there is anything listed in ther area.

Tube yes I can do the tube not a problem- It's just when I get outside of the tube station that I struggle- Townies eh! :D LOL

Thanks hun! I've had a quick search on t'internet and couldn't see anything either- I'll try Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square see if I can dig anything up there.

Marrers
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:04 PM
Are you doing lunch or an evening meal?

What about 222 Veggie Vegan? It's equal distance between West Kensington and West Brompton tube (district line) but a 7 minute walk or 2 minute bus ride from each - quite easy to find though. They have a buffet for lunch and nice menu for evening. http://www.222veggievegan.com/

There are places near other tube stations but some depend if day or evening so let us know.

LittleMissVegan
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:10 PM
Marrers it will be late tea maybe bout 5 ish as i'm gonna do a bit of sight seeing first- Work up an appetite- Like I need it LOL!

Marrers
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:29 PM
222 open again at 5.30pm I think.

Near Piccadilly Circus you have Fresh and Wild health food shop on Brewers Street. They serve food and have a small seating area. Not sure what time they close, check website. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/freshandwild/ (If you go there you really must get some of those fantastic melt in the mouth truffles that they get exclusively as part of Wholefoods - only £2.99 and heavenly.)

A bit further to walk (and get lost) you have Mildreds http://www.mildreds.co.uk/, Beatroot at 96 Berwick Street.
Prob nearer to Leicester Sq you have a couple of thai buffet places on Greek Street (Sasa at 6 Greek St is the best IMO) and Vita Organics on corner of Wardour Street and Meard St.

http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/eat/index.htm

LittleMissVegan
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks Marrers that's fab! Hopefully find my way there :)

aubergine
Apr 1st, 2006, 04:06 PM
222 Veggie Vegan (http://www.222veggievegan.com/) isn't far away and is meant to be good.

edit: wow I'm slow to respond. That's what I get for browsing in tabs when it's busy at work.

Tiggerwoo
Apr 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM
Govindas the Hare Krishna restaurant in Soho is excellent and cheap.
Also there are some good Thai Buffets in Leicester Square

TofuFooYung
May 5th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Reasonably near to me there is a 100% indian restaurant with tonnes of vegan options PLUS a mostly organic 100% vegetarian restaurant (nearly everything they do is vegan) that sells a veeg chocolate fudge cake and soy ice cream. DROOOL :) Even when I've eaten to the point where the buttons are popping on my jeans, I still gotta have that cake!

Mr Flibble
May 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Will you care to tell us what this place is called and where it is located?

RedWellies
May 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Haha, TFY wants to keep them to him/herself so he/she gets all the cake!!

Enchantress
May 5th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I can't blame him/her for that one. We'll have to explain to him/her that if said restuarant only gets one customer, it won't make enough money to stay in business. So if TFY doesn't tell us where we can get yummy cake his/her supply will dry up :eek:.

Mmm, cake.

feral
May 5th, 2006, 10:49 PM
lol Enchantress that post was like dialogue from Will & Grace!

tabitha
May 5th, 2006, 10:57 PM
If these things were easy to organise and we all lived nearby, wouldnt it be nice to go to a vegan restaurant for lunch tomorrow and then back to mine for coffee in the afternoon:o We could sit in the garden and watch the blossom fall from the trees like snow. Im feeling strangely sociable.......it wont last though. I'll be back to my miserable old self tomorrow.

Tiggerwoo
May 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Yay........... We're all off to Tabi's. Be sure to form an orderly queue at her door:D

Kevster
May 6th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Happened to be in Londres recently, meeting up with a friend, and as per usual i was spoilt for choice for where to go eat. However, on this occasion i had planned to go along to Vita Organic:

http://www.vitaorganic.co.uk/

You can order certain meals but they have a kind of Vi-tapas (as they call it) where you can choose a small, medium or large plate and have a selection of some very delicious and nutritious looking food. It was lovely, i had some hummous with chick pea sprouts, noodles and mixed sprouts, thai green curry, and other good stuff, and the medium plate was plenty big enough, especially when i needed to leave room for a piece of chocolate cake accompanied by coconut cream.

TofuFooYung
May 6th, 2006, 09:36 AM
It's in a town called Kingston (by the riverside).

No one's allowed the cake. It's mine :-D

Also, their tofu masala and cauliflour soup belong to me too!

TofuFooYung
May 6th, 2006, 09:38 AM
That vita organic place uses exactly the same font on their menu for the veggie restaurant I mentioned... maybe it's the same folk... (or, a very popular font)? :)

veggiesosage
May 6th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Yes, but whats it CALLED goddammit!:D

Troutina
May 6th, 2006, 09:54 AM

No one's allowed the cake. It's mine :-D

Also, their tofu masala and cauliflour soup belong to me too!

WHAT?!
I had a uni interview there, and was hunting for ages trying to find something remotely vegan- one place did a dodgy roasted veg and houmous baguette.
Where abouts is it?

Kevster
May 6th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Sounds like the Riverside Vegetaria:

http://www.happycow.net/europe/england/london/outer_london/index.html

I've never been as yet, but my parents reckon it's good.

TofuFooYung
May 6th, 2006, 10:10 AM
It's right at the back of the town but by the river. So, find the river from the high street and walk past all those trendy cafes and pubs and keep going until you see the big wooden sign (you have to enter from the front which is on the road).

Or, if you you're in the market, you walk past woollies, take a right down the bottom and follow the road that curves past Wagamamas (where you can also eat!) and it's down the bottom opposite Nandos and Pizza Express.

Veegs and veggie society members get a 10% discount on the bill (which will probably be quite big!)

Found their website- not sure if the menus are up to date! They have a main menu and a chalkboard menu that changes all the time. Staff are a bit miserable though.

I think they should received an award for their vegan banana lassi (Indian milk fruit drink).

http://www.rsveg.plus.com/ It's the Riverside Vegetaria

Troutina
May 6th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Wow!!
Thanks so much both of you for the links!
I found out this morning that I got into Kingston, so I'll be tracking down this lovely sounding place!!

Jamie
May 12th, 2006, 03:50 PM
We are off tonight to dine in London, not sure yet where we are going though! Has anyone tried Mantra, in Dean St, Soho? Or what is the food like at Govindas - I've walked past often but gone in never. Is there likely to be much waiting to get in do you think? we would probably end up there about 7pm. One of my other choices was Peking Palace, because the Veg Britain says they do vegan fish and chips, but it doesn't say anything about that on it's website, and I'm not sure I want to ring up to ask..! I only wanted that, for it's novelty value..! :)

I do fancy an indian though. I'd love to try thali or dosa.

We are going to one of the buffets tommorrow night with omni friends! Am being spoilt this week.